Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    English seems to have a touch of the Robert Murphy about him.
    Very articulate and thoughtful.
    Could become another cult hero.
    Maybe the 'Gentleman' tag will be passed on.

'Gentleman' Tim English.

Tall blonde articulate well spoken and well mannered ruck man...................... And Brownlow medalist no doubt.
    Not to mention that he moves very well and looks a good user of the ball.

Was getting pretty excited watching the brief footage of him put up by the Club at our most recent training session.
    Looks a special unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Not to mention that he moves very well and looks a good user of the ball.

Was getting pretty excited watching the brief footage of him put up by the Club at our most recent training session.
    Looks a special unit.
    Ditto. I just watched the footage too. I think i would describe English as a midfielder who can ruck because of his height. He moves really well and his kicking and technique is very sound, and looks every bit a midfielder. He has the added benefit of being able to ruck. If Bevo could create a prototype ruckman, I think English would be exactly it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ditto. I just watched the footage too. I think i would describe English as a midfielder who can ruck because of his height. He moves really well and his kicking and technique is very sound, and looks every bit a midfielder. He has the added benefit of being able to ruck. If Bevo could create a prototype ruckman, I think English would be exactly it.
    The fact Bevo gave Ayce Cordy so much opportunity suggests he really rates the mobile types
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He is magnificient off both feet and his awareness is midfielder-like no doubt.

Great to get a top 10 player for pick 19.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Thanks Mantis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An interesting little aside on Trade Radio this arvo with one of the Crows' former recruiting staffers.

Their recruiting team were dead keen on Tim apparently, had him pegged as the best 2016 draft-eligible ruckman in the country and a ten-year player with a view to spending their first rounder on him ... and then it came time for Don Pyke's input and the coach dismissed their advice and killed it because he wanted someone who'd step in and contribute sooner, so they took Gallucci @ #16, leaving Tim to us @ #19.

Gallucci's a smart little player but if English goes on to achieve all we hope I'll happily spare a little thought for Pyke periodically along the way.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Thanks wimberga, Twodogs, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Topdog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My heart stopped when I saw the Tim English thread pop up in the middle of trade week -- you scared me, RS.

10. Thanks bulldogtragic, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Doc26, Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    My heart stopped when I saw the Tim English thread pop up in the middle of trade week -- you scared me, RS.
    SAME!

God dammit it RS. Don't scare us

Post Thanks / Like

FFS.

Shocktober PTSD moment.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaa. Very well, to make amends I'll go and revive the 'Welcome to the Bulldogs Mitch Honeychurch' thread now.

Ain't it delicious though knowing every time English wins an All-Australian gong we'll have Don frigging Pyke to thank for it.

Also, why is his head shaped like banana? But I'm digressing ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Hahaa. Very well, to make amends I'll go and revive the 'Welcome to the Bulldogs Mitch Honeychurch' thread now.

Ain't it delicious though knowing every time English wins an All-Australian gong we'll have Don frigging Pyke to thank for it.

Also, why is his head shaped like banana? But I'm digressing ...
    Did he run into Danny Southern?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I get where Pyke is coming from though. They were in a premiership window and solid ruckmen can be traded for most years. Either pay a higher price to develop one now or wait and few years and take a Jacobs replacement then. The only downside is if the ruckman develops like Grundy and then becomes a potential matchwinner and unattainable later on.

Post Thanks / Like

How did Woofers feel about what was possibly English's first game as the No.1 ruck (Boyd and/or Roughead probably taking the no 1 role in previous years)?

I feel like he did pretty well but don't have a great feel for the ruck myself so I was curious how the rest of you felt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    How did Woofers feel about what was possibly English's first game as the No.1 ruck (Boyd and/or Roughead probably taking the no 1 role in previous years)?

I feel like he did pretty well but don't have a great feel for the ruck myself so I was curious how the rest of you felt.

I thought he did ok, although beaten for hitouts, but did well around the ground. Still gets pushed out of the contest a bit, but he has only played 10 games and still learning.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very pleased with his second efforts.
    I like rucks who do the little thing you don't get stats for - recover quickly after the tap contest, blocks, etc. It's a lot harder than it looks and English's recovery from the contest is elite.

We know he's tall and uses the ball so well by foot but the recovery aspect is what has me most excited and to me that's the greatest indicator of his likely future success.
    Ben Hudson was never out of the contest until the ball was cleared and English does that same thing.
    It seems to come naturally to him which isn't a given even in the best rucks (Minson had to be taught).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I was very pleased with his second efforts.
    I like rucks who do the little thing you don't get stats for - recover quickly after the tap contest, blocks, etc. It's a lot harder than it looks and English's recovery from the contest is elite.

We know he's tall and uses the ball so well by foot but the recovery aspect is what has me most excited and to me that's the greatest indicator of his likely future success.
    Ben Hudson was never out of the contest until the ball was cleared and English does that same thing.
    It seems to come naturally to him which isn't a given even in the best rucks (Minson had to be taught).
    The only thing I thought he did poorly last week was his marking. He got clear grabs at the footy a few times even against smaller opponents and yet didn't hold on to them.

In time he should become a very difficult ruckman for opposition teams to counter.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"