Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    It is no coincidence for me that the best footy we have played in the last few seasons in the first half of 2021 was when we English was playing the secondary ruck role and playing foward time.
    No, it's not a coincidence. He is by far the best second ruck in the competition and almost in history.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Grantysghost, josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    BAD - if it's a myth then I'm the one who has perpetuated it and I wouldn't do that unless I had some reason to think it wasn't a myth. Bevo protects his players.

YHF (Purps from another time) - it's been done to death, and was the basis of an article that came out early season last year. Tim wanted to be number one, and Bevo confirmed that when refusing to play others in the spot at that time -verbatim

We can do the Nets if it's easier, both of you.
    Woof Myths
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Id drop English.

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Woof Myths
    Nets. And I know where you work mate. So no getting out of this one.

Post Thanks / Like

8. Thanks anfo27 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    English is the best ruck in the competition, he just doesn't have to do it all the time.

10. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English can't actually ruck. He's got nfi he was tapping it to Geelong's midfielders all night.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I get more frustrated by Tim English than any other player because he should be able to perform so much better than what he does. For example: at boundary throw ins he rarely takes up front position or engages side by side, thus he gets beaten to the ball or at best halves the "contest". Taps to real advantage - by that I mean to a player who is in space and on the run - are rare. Why is that? He has been around for a long time now and should be better at his craft.

Lobb turned the game last night. Make no mistake about that. He was the difference. English is more physically imposing than Lobb. Why couldn’t he have done that. He was up against a first gamer and Stanley who is a decent player but has never been classed as a dominant ruck.
    English needs to improve his ruck work and by playing in bursts and giving it a real crack he might be able to do this. But you have to be fair dinkum about what you do and have a red hot go.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

13. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are being to critical with English. Hes not a traditional ruckman but that fits into what what Bevo wants in terms of another midfielder around the ground. I think people would appreciate him more if he was a more traditional meat head ruckman that threw his weight around but that isnt going to happen. We need to love what we have got.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

15. Likes D Mitchell, Bulldog4life, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    We are being to critical with English. Hes not a traditional ruckman but that fits into what what Bevo wants in terms of another midfielder around the ground. I think people would appreciate him more if he was a more traditional meat head ruckman that threw his weight around but that isnt going to happen. We need to love what we have got.
    Nothing shows what we have got more clearly than last night. A coach that can occasionally get the ruck right.

The team was a shambles being humiliated. The views of the supporters showed the wretchedness of the situation. Geelong should have been six or seven goals ahead.

Then a glimpse of early 2021. A ruckman who stopped the leaking from the centre and straightened the team up.

Lobb had few hitouts. He kept the ball where our midfielders were and suddenly we are watching a team that is 5 goals better.

A ruckman is not a midfielder around the ground. You get one or the other, not both.

We saw this in 2021. Maybe seeing it again will finally bring some understanding.

17. Likes EasternWest, bulldogtragic, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    English is the best ruck in the competition, he just doesn't have to do it all the time.
    Yes. Spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Nothing shows what we have got more clearly than last night. A coach that can occasionally get the ruck right.

The team was a shambles being humiliated. The views of the supporters showed the wretchedness of the situation. Geelong should have been six or seven goals ahead.

Then a glimpse of early 2021. A ruckman who stopped the leaking from the centre and straightened the team up.

Lobb had few hitouts. He kept the ball where our midfielders were and suddenly we are watching a team that is 5 goals better.

A ruckman is not a midfielder around the ground. You get one or the other, not both.

We saw this in 2021. Maybe seeing it again will finally bring some understanding.
    Do you think that Minson should have played in the finals in 2016 ?

20. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Do you think that Minson should have played in the finals in 2016 ?
    In 2016 we used the third man up rule in the ruck to our advantage. The changing of that rule put more focus back on pure ruckman.

We didn't miss Minson, primarily because of the rule and also that Roughead and Boyd did their job well in the big moments during the finals series.

22. Likes D Mitchell, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    In 2016 we used the third man up rule in the ruck to our advantage. The changing of that rule put more focus back on pure ruckman.

We didn't miss Minson, primarily because of the rule and also that Roughead and Boyd did their job well in the big moments during the finals series.
    Third man up was effective ?round the ground but not used at centre bounces, which is where English?s shortcomings are most commented upon. Since 2017, when the 3rd man up was outlawed, we?ve had Redpath and Sweet in the VFL. Bev?s philosophy on ruckman use is obvious but it?s a fair consideration whether that view should be adjusted more.

Post Thanks / Like

English always struggles against Stanley, who is incredibly strong despite slightly smaller stature than most rucks out there.

Those bemoaning Lobb not playing more ruck time - I think you have to admit that he's not shown anything close to what he showed last night before now. That kind of display when Tim was struggling is exactly why we recruited him, and should now be a benchmark for the kind of impact he can have on games. Dare I say it was Luke Jackson '21GF-esque.

I'm looking forward now to seeing English and Lobb share the duties, and hopefully seeing Tim galvanised by the internal competition. But I don't bemoan the coaches for not giving Rory more ruck time so far this year, because he's not earned it.

The level of criticism directed at Tim this year is something I find amusing, almost as if the plaudits given to him have to be counteracted with an undercurrent of criticism. His ruck work is mediocre, no doubt, however it's also a lot better than it once was. It's his around the ground work that we take for granted, a genuine asset to the team and the envy of the competition. Like anyone he'll have good games and bad games, last night was a bad one. Seems it takes less than other players for him to be out of favour with our supporters. Might be something about him lacking that hard edge that makes him the whipping boy - similar to Eagleton or McMahon going back a few years.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

25. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post