Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

First Two Games: 37 disposals (8 contested), 19 marks (10 intercept, 3 contested), a handful or two of tackles, rebounds, 1 %'s, inside 50's.

I'm trying to think of a recent teenage KPP of ours with a start like this. Rendering the current premiership captain to the forward pocket while you keep his spot and opponent quiet.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the 90s, the only 2 KPP size players I can rememer to start this brightly for us at such a young age would be Chris Grant (who was spectacular as a 17 year old, the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals in a season) and Matthew Croft (who I remember getting a heap of possessions and a goal in his first or 2nd game as an 18 year old).

4. Likes bulldogtragic, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Since the 90s, the only 2 KPP size players I can rememer to start this brightly for us at such a young age would be Chris Grant (who was spectacular as a 17 year old, the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals in a season) and Matthew Croft (who I remember getting a heap of possessions and a goal in his first or 2nd game as an 18 year old).
    They're the ones that my memory stretches back to, and great company to be in as they're both club greats. We might not have had a heap of exciting talls come in and make a statement in the last 15 or so years, but even Lake, Morris, Shaggy or Roughy (daylight J. Grant, Jones) didn't do it from game 1. Then back it up equally in game 2.

May our SA boys 33, 34 & 35 play many, many games together.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe how composed he is when the ball is in the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can't believe how composed he is when the ball is in the backline.
    You follow the RS nominations. Two weeks resulting in the stats above, does that put him in the mix?

To be overlooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    You follow the RS nominations. Two weeks resulting in the stars above, does that put him in the mix?

To be overlooked.
    Bailey Williams in the mix too.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Young was impressive today, he seems to have so much time and knows where to run to in the right spots. He was involved with a few link ups i the second quarter very impressive. Well done on another good game .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Promising KPPs have been thin on the ground since back then. Ben Sexton, Keenan Reynolds, Adrian Campbell, Jon Ballantyne, Ijlia Grgic and Zayne Cordy are really the only promising types who showed a bit early are the only young KPP types we have recruited in the last 25 years. It's almost as if once we lost our zones which provided us with KPPs whether we wanted them or not because the best players just came through we became incapable of IDing and recruiting suitable tall players.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Very steady game . Big big positive

Post Thanks / Like

He reads the play well and covers the ground for a big bloke. A few times yesterday when the ball hit the deck I thought he might be out of the contest, but he was able to influence the space within the surrounding 5-10 metres with leg speed.

He's going to take some absolutely cracking marks over this career.

Post Thanks / Like

Extremely clean and seems to float and be in slow motion when taking marks. That's a very rare gift. , lands on his feet as well .
    Does he need to put on kilos ?
    Might be one of those rare types who is like Bob Murphy no need to bang on the kilos as he seems to glide past tackles, evade and swoop in that split second of time and space.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Extremely clean and seems to float and be in slow motion when taking marks. That's a very rare gift. , lands on his feet as well .
    Does he need to put on kilos ?
    Might be one of those rare types who is like Bob Murphy no need to bang on the kilos as he seems to glide past tackles, evade and swoop in that split second of time and space.
    Good point. Another good comparison may be Dustin Fletcher. Always looked skinny by AFL standards but was tough and wiry. Young will no doubt put on some kilos but may naturally just always carry a lean frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to get a gauge on just how promising he is yet. Due to the way we play and position our defenders we haven't actually had to see him defend much yet. He hasn't had to lock arms with a bigger opponent, be led to the ball or be turned around yet. Unbelievable effort for his age so far but we need to see how all these things develop in the next few seasons before making big calls. The promising part is he has shown he has all of the tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Hard to get a gauge on just how promising he is yet. Due to the way we play and position our defenders we haven't actually had to see him defend much yet. He hasn't had to lock arms with a bigger opponent, be led to the ball or be turned around yet. Unbelievable effort for his age so far but we need to see how all these things develop in the next few seasons before making big calls. The promising part is he has shown he has all of the tools.
    If it's body on body he will struggle of course at the moment, but if he plays the intercept marking type like Rance( a couple of years ago) and Wood, and Collins/Cordy do the body work he won't have much of the body on body work.
    Bring back the biff

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For all we know this might be him learning the backman trade before he becomes a forward , definitley being very young and skinny starting back is a better option than playing forward and getting smashed by other large opposition backs every week.
    Bring back the biff