Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    For all we know this might be him learning the backman trade before he becomes a forward , definitley being very young and skinny starting back is a better option than playing forward and getting smashed by other large opposition backs every week.
    Good observation. He's played forward all his life up until a couple on months ago. The work that Cloke and now Redpath have had to do is taxing and would've smashed him as you say. So he's in a good role, and kept it over Wood. So he must be going ok to have Wood shoved into a forward pocket. With his history as a forward, his height, agility, athleticism, composure, leap and sticky hands I have no problem with him developing at either end or as a swing man. Those attributes make a good forward though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As good an entry into the seniors I can recall. Composed, reading the play well, got some swagger and really wants the footy. We've battled in the air all year so his marking has been a highlight. Has an unusual, choppy handball style which needs to be cleaned up.

Post Thanks / Like

The conventional wisdom has been that we have an exciting crop of young mids but big ??? on the talls. Our young spine is starting to look sound when you consider Lewis (18), English (19), Cordy (20), Boyd (21) and Adams (24) are all tracking very nicely to add to our existing mid 20s talls (Roughead, Campbell, Redpath, Roberts). With Collins (19) and NMM (20) also showing promising signs. If we could add Jake Lever (21) to that mix, we'd be looking at a really exciting crop of yong talls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    The conventional wisdom has been that we have an exciting crop of young mids but big ??? on the talls. Our young spine is starting to look sound when you consider Lewis (18), English (19), Cordy (20), Boyd (21) and Adams (24) are all tracking very nicely to add to our existing mid 20s talls (Roughead, Campbell, Redpath, Roberts). With Collins (19) and NMM (20) also showing promising signs. If we could add Jake Lever (21) to that mix, we'd be looking at a really exciting crop of yong talls.
    I'm getting convinced that it looks ok even without Lever. If we don't get him it's not going to be the end of the world.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So he's in a good role, and kept it over Wood. So he must be going ok to have Wood shoved into a forward pocket
    Wood played down the end the wind was blowing to all 4 quarters - 2 as a forward, 2 as a defender
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm getting convinced that it looks ok even without Lever. If we don't get him it's not going to be the end of the world.
    I agree, but if we do get him, our position is looking seriously powerful.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but if we do get him, our position is looking seriously powerful.
    Yep, our talls could all play in different positions. Bevo would love during games, to have the option change up all the big guys around to create mismatch after mismatch, or have multiple options if a big forward needs shutting down. The age profile of the talls supports a longer crack at a dynasty. I'm not convinced about targeting a forward if our entries don't improve. Another top midfielder would be nice, Rockliff ideally.

But as to Young, he and Adams were forwards as juniors I'm pretty sure. Having too many mobile talls who can mark is a great problem to work out where their best footy is played.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, our talls could all play in different positions. Bevo would love during games, to have the option change up all the big guys around to create mismatch after mismatch, or have multiple options if a big forward needs shutting down. The age profile of the talls supports a longer crack at a dynasty. I'm not convinced about targeting a forward if our entries don't improve. Another top midfielder would be nice, Rockliff ideally.

But as to Young, he and Adams were forwards as juniors I'm pretty sure. Having too many mobile talls who can mark is a great problem to work out where their best footy is played.
    Zaine Cordy is also a premiership CHF who repeatedly kicked key goals in finals. You've got to stop ignoring him BT.

Post Thanks / Like

Zaine Cordy is also a premiership CHF who repeatedly kicked key goals in finals. You've got to stop ignoring him BT.
    Me, ignore? My process to adopt Zaine as my son is going well I will let you know. I've said it for about 4.5 years, his best spot is a tall rebounding, dashing defender. Everyone seems happy with him so far as defender and forward in the finals, but he has the potential to be a hybrid of Hargrave & Bobby, but even taller. When he reaches the level in the role I know he has in him, he will be almost first picked. I wouldn't play him forward unless it's a match up thing. Give him a couple of really good defenders around him (Lever, Adams, Young, Wood, Morris?, Collins?, Roberts?) to give him confidence to run, and a system to cover his man if there's a bad turnover and wait for the magic.

11. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Wood played down the end the wind was blowing to all 4 quarters - 2 as a forward, 2 as a defender
    Sorry but Wood started forward into the wind.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy with young Lewie and once again for Dal and his team for recognizing a latent talent. Listening to Hunter speak about him the other day he said something like this " 8 weeks ago you would not have given him a chance of playing seniors". Just shows the growth in him.

Post Thanks / Like

Adams has done well when he been sent forward at times this year. Didn't he kick 2 or 3 in a game earlier in the year?

Yeah come on BT. It's time you started to rate the kid like me and whatsisname. That poster who has been banging on about him since he was in the TAC cup. BulldogMagic or something.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you look at Adams size and the way he Marks it would be mad not to push him forward occasionally especially with how the opposition backs seem to out mark us all the time.
    I love the way Bevo sees it , even Wood should be pushed forward, his leap would be very dangerous and was proved so on the weekend.
    Bring back the biff

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Sorry but Wood started forward into the wind.
    Maybe he moved around a bit. He was on the mark for Peter Wright's goal and behind the ball for Picken's 2nd though (0:29, 1:05)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/vi...old-coast-rd18
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Youngs inside 50 kick to Dickson in the 1st half was as good of a kick as any from our players this year. I think he added composure in disposal today, but learned a lot about how big and strong the big and strong players are. I also did like him giving it to Hooker after a miss proving that the Casboult one wasn't an isolated incident. He jumped into the wrestle at the end too. Cordy is teaching him well.

20. Likes azabob, Topdog, The bulldog tragician liked this post