Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

Almost wish we didn't debut the kid. If Lever nominates us the crows will probably demand him as part of the trade!

Les Abbott Cheer Squad Guest

I found this to be an interesting article.
    Honourable Mention 2: Lewis Young
    It was a remarkably assured debut from the young Bulldogs, the youngest listed player in the AFL in 2017, who deputised for Premiership captain Easton Wood on Sunday. Refusing to be overawed by the situation he helped himself to 22-disposals and six intercept marks in a performance that belied his age and debutant status.
    https://realsport101.com/news/sports...-and-disliked/

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Len. I can't remember a debut that's been as picked apart as Lewis Youngs since back when Ronny James played his first game. I'm enjoying reading all the positive assessments more than the actual win.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He had a chronic lack of confidence. It's not something I understand myself.
    I lived with him he didn't lack confidence , although he wasn't big headed , in my eyes he had two problems 1 he never got a good long run and 2 he kept getting injured.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I lived with him he didn't lack confidence , although he wasn't big headed , in my eyes he had two problems 1 he never got a good long run and 2 he kept getting injured.
    Saw him turn Chris Grant inside out in a marking contest a couple of times in an intra club and always thought he showed a bit. He was always the first dropped though for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought we could more out of Tiller. He was in the side around the time Eade was his least inventive from a development perspective. I often wonder what the player culture was like at that time as well, and whether it was ideal for developing players.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I always thought we could more out of Tiller. He was in the side around the time Eade was his least inventive from a development perspective. I often wonder what the player culture was like at that time as well, and whether it was ideal for developing players.
    Jesse Wells and him were polar opposites , Jesse would sit and talk about how good he was all day but Stephen didn't talk unless you talked to him, don't get me wrong Jesse was a good kid but Stephen was quiet and a lot more mature.
    Might be a similarity with Lewis, SA boy and quiet good head on his shoulders .
    I felt sorry for Stephen because I believe he could play and was good enough.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that there were senior players and junior players and sometimes it got to the silly stage where the senior players were waxing with the ball. They would rather kick it to Bubba even though he was in a 2 on 1 than to the kid all by himself.

Jesse Wells and him were polar opposites , Jesse would sit and talk about how good he was all day but Stephen didn't talk unless you talked to him, don't get me wrong Jesse was a good kid but Stephen was quiet and a lot more mature.
    Might be a similarity with Lewis, SA boy and quiet good head on his shoulders .
    I felt sorry for Stephen because I believe he could play and was good enough

Sounds like a lack of confidence to me.

You've boarded a few players haven't you? Are thy like typical teenagers?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anything better than seeing a young bloke come out of the blue to make such an impressive debut? I guess it's even more exciting when the season has been so disappointing.

We're all realistic enough to know that at such a young age it's likely that there will be ups and downs and he may end up playing more games for Footscray than the WB over the next two years......but picking up such an obvious talent with such a late draft pick is something that can help the club market itself to members. We're going to need good news stories like this if we are to maintain our membership numbers next year.

Will watch next week with interest and hope he can back up with a solid game....that is all I expect.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I understand that there were senior players and junior players and sometimes it got to the silly stage where the senior players were waxing with the ball. They would rather kick it to Bubba even though he was in a 2 on 1 than to the kid all by himself

Sounds like a lack of confidence to me.

You've boarded a few players haven't you? Are thy like typical teenagers?
    Well my parents and in laws did going back to the early 80s , I was a teenager as well back then and yes back then they were , we got drunk and partied etc but as for the Tiller years no they were very well behaved and a lot more professional.
    Mick Malthouse was coach when we started boarding and it wasn't a full on profession back then, they all had fulltime jobs as well but Mick was well ahead of his time as far as player management was concerned . He would ring every Friday night to see where they were and if they weren't home he would ask where they were and chase them up.
    All in all they have all been kids with good heads on their shoulders, but then again we were supposed to get the Macpherson Boys now that would have been an experience . I was never real close to them as I was playing footy too at local level and they didn't spend much time at home, but God they could eat , mum always complained about the fish fingers and ice cream we all went through. I have great memories Some I saw for the first time in 30 years at the GF.
    Bring back the biff

12. Thanks Twodogs, Bulldog4life, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes boydogs, N/A, jeemak, 1eyedog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ledge, for context, are you able to elaborate on your role/you family role with these younger fellows?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ledge, for context, are you able to elaborate on your role/you family role with these younger fellows?
    Basically I have two older brothers and we lived in a small concrete commission home in braybrook, as we got older my parents built two extra bed rooms onto The home so we all had our own rooms , well about a year after being built both my brothers got married and moved out, my mother rang the football club inquiring about taking players in who were from interstate or the country.
    The club always puts players in a family environment so they feel at home and are looked after , usually it's only about a year and they move on , it's up to the players really they leave when they want. Most players move in with other players after that
    Bring back the biff

15. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We still do it. Tristan stayed with Bob for 2 weeks waiting to be placed. He's now with a family in Altona during the week and heads up to his parents in Healesville every weekend.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Basically I have two older brothers and we lived in a small concrete commission home in braybrook, as we got older my parents built two extra bed rooms onto The home so we all had our own rooms , well about a year after being built both my brothers got married and moved out, my mother rang the football club inquiring about taking players in who were from interstate or the country.
    The club always puts players in a family environment so they feel at home and are looked after , usually it's only about a year and they move on , it's up to the players really they leave when they want. Most players move in with other players after that
    I remember asking Gia about Cooney in his first year as Cooney was living with Gia's parents at the time. The response was "he knows how good he is"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I remember asking Gia about Cooney in his first year as Cooney was living with Gia's parents at the time. The response was "he knows how good he is"
    Difference is he was good .. Jesse .. Well that's another story.
    Bring back the biff