Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Fergus Greene

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    They would have a package to put up at some stage I would think.
    The Dogs have just posted one on twitter.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    A snippet from The Bendigo Addy just now:

Greene wasn’t even on the Bendigo Pioneers list at the start of 2016, but his form with Sandhurst and in school football as well as his athletic attributes saw him given a chance at TAC Cup level.

Greene wasn’t invited to the national or state draft combine, but his 15.6 beep test at a rookie state testing sparked the interest of the Western Bulldogs.

Greene could play as a third forward at the next level or his running ability could see the Dogs develop him as a wingman.
    He is noted for his competitive nature and it's a quality we rate.

As a side note, it wouldn't surprise me if someone is groomed as a defender in their 1st season like what we did with Lukas Webb
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The highlights package on the WB website is pretty exciting. Looks a great size, very capable overhead and with a semi-Ethiopian beep test result, I can see him playing midfield.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a future Crameri replacement with his hard running?

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of him before his name was called out but gee there looks a lot to work with. Strong overhead, exceptional beep test and competitive nature is a very good combination of ingredients.

Post Thanks / Like

The day after the draft, a mate of his took a photo of him running up the streets up here (posting it on Twitter) & asking him why he couldn't be driving now he's an AFL listed player (ie. Has good money coming now).

A) Nice joke.
    B) The kid could've had a relaxing day at home enjoying the moment. But he was out running. I like what this says about his attitude.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bendigo Advertiser:

Fergus Greene has climbed his way from the bottom of the pack to a berth on the Western Bulldogs list.

Two years ago Fergus Greene was dropped from the Sandhurst under-18 team.

On Monday, he’ll shake hands with Luke Beveridge and Bob Murphy and start his AFL career with the reigning premiers the Western Bulldogs.

Greene, who was selected by the Bulldogs with pick 70 of Friday night’s AFL national draft, is a self-confessed “late developer” when it comes to footy.

Despite his family’s strong football links – his father Chris is a Sandhurst great in the BFNL and his uncle Brendan Hartney played with Carlton in the VFL and went on to win the Michelsen Medal in the BFNL twice with the Dragons – footy wasn’t Greene’s number one love when it came to sport.

“Basketball was my favourite sport growing up because I wasn’t that good at footy,’’ Greene said.

“I made one BJFL representative side in the under-14s or 15s, but to be honest I probably shouldn’t have been in it. I wasn’t good enough.

“In my first year of under-18s I played the first game and then was dropped for the next two games. It was a real struggle for me.

“I played the fourth game and hardly got a kick. I thought I was going to get dropped again.

“I played a game on permit for YCW (Loddon Valley Football League) and thought seriously about just playing out there.

“Thankfully, I started to improve and things turned around for me with Sandhurst.”

By the end of the season Greene was a star of the competition. He kicked five goals in the under-18 grand final to guide the Dragons to victory over Gisborne.

Just when his footy career started to gather momentum, a navicular bone injury skittled his 2015 season.

After a long recovery, Greene played four senior games with Sandhurst early in 2016 before a best on ground performance in a school football match for Catholic College changed his destiny.

“I just wanted to get through a year of footy this year after the injuries I had,’’ Greene admitted.

“We (CCB) played a school footy game against Bendigo Senior Secondary College and half the Pioneers team were on the Bendigo Senior team. I played okay and we won.

“After that Sharpy (Bendigo Pioneers talent manager Steve Sharp) and Hendo (then Pioneers coach Brett Henderson) asked me to play with the Pioneers as an over-age player. I jumped at the opportunity because I knew I wouldn’t get that chance again.

“I only played five games, which was disappointing, because injuries held me back. I’m glad I got the chance because I might not have got drafted otherwise.”

It was the final TAC Cup game that Greene played which raised the eyebrows of AFL club recruiters.

He kicked three goals, had 10 possessions and took five marks to be the Pioneers best player against Gippsland.

“After my last game with the Pioneers the Gold Coast got in contact with Mum and Dad,’’ Greene said.

“I had a meeting with them and then the Wednesday after the BFNL grand final I had a meeting with Geelong.

“I had a meeting with the Western Bulldogs after my exams finished.”

Three other clubs also showed interest in the athletic forward, but no promises were made ahead of the national draft.

“It was all pretty intense, but I still thought I wasn’t much of a chance because it wasn’t as if the clubs were having six or seven meetings with me like they do with other players,’’ Greene said.

“On draft night I tried not to get too worked up and kept telling myself that it doesn’t matter if I don’t get picked, but when my name got called out it was just unbelievable.”

Western Bulldogs assistant coach Rohan Smith was the first person from the club to contact Greene.

“I really didn’t know what to say. It must have been a hard conversation for Rohan because I probably wasn’t making much sense,’’ Greene said.

Bulldogs’ players, including another Bendigo product Jake Stringer, have contatcted Greene over the weekend to congratulate him.

“It’s been pretty amazing to get all the messages,’’ he said.

“I can’t wait to get down there and be part of the club.”
    He doesn’t have to wait long.

Greene heads to the Whitten Oval on Monday for a tour of the facilities and to collect his Bulldogs apparel.

Pre-season training for the draftees starts on Tuesday. Greene will live with Bulldogs premiership player Josh Dunkley for the first few weeks before moving in with a host family.

“It’s still hard to believe that this is happening,’’ Greene said.

“It’s a great opportunity.”
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Thanks choconmientay, azabob, N/A, Bulldog4life, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes Templeton31, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^

So 6 clubs were into him enough to interview him. Not so much the smoky after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    ^^^^^

So 6 clubs were into him enough to interview him. Not so much the smoky after all.
    Sounds like we knew he wouldn't be available for our rookie list spot.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A great thing about late picks is that they generally work their tails off and have a deep sense of gratitude towards the club for giving them an opportunity - see Dahl and JJ as prime examples.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting - looks a great mark, and thats a seriously impressive beep test

Welcome Fergus

Post Thanks / Like

Ah. Sandhurst is it? Ah well.

He seems nice anyway.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Great to read about Bubba and players contacting him before he even gets to the club. Must be a great feeling to feel so welcomed. Some older AFL players have written about how intimidating entering a club can be and how hard it can be to feel part of the main group. We are doing so much right at present.

I wonder if Bubba being the first to contact him indicates that we have him earmarked primarily as a potential defender?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Great to read about Bubba and players contacting him before he even gets to the club. Must be a great feeling to feel so welcomed. Some older AFL players have written about how intimidating entering a club can be and how hard it can be to feel part of the main group. We are doing so much right at present.

I wonder if Bubba being the first to contact him indicates that we have him earmarked primarily as a potential defender?
    Bubba's development coach now so makes sense he be first on board rather than defence link.

Welcome to the Premiers Fergus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    A great thing about late picks is that they generally work their tails off and have a deep sense of gratitude towards the club for giving them an opportunity - see Dahl and JJ as prime examples.
    I'd back our record with late picks over any other club in the competition.

Morris, JJ, Matty Boyd, Dahlhaus, Picken as rookie picks. Biggs a former rookie who was virtually a freebie trade - all premiership players.
    Former rookies like Campbell, Suckling, Crameri, Roarke Smith on the list.
    Roberts as a PSD pick.
    Hamling a DFA.
    Cordy as a late pick, Hunter and Wood 3rd rounders.

We nailed the 2010 draft every other club fluffed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post