Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

After the draft, time to start building Bulldogs

Link

Gaining muscle will be the priority for the Western Bulldogs' top draft pick Tim English, who spent his first day as an AFL footballer at Whitten Oval on Monday.
    The reigning premiers chose towering West Australian at pick 19 overall on Friday night, leaving him to move states over the weekend.

Tim English is going to focus on gaining muscle. Photo: AFL Media/Getty Images

Considered the best ruckman in the draft, the quietly-spoken teenager is 205cm tall but slightly built and he said putting on weight would be important.
    English said he had watched the 2016 grand final twice.

"I thought it was a really good story," he said.

At the other end of draft night, the Western Bulldogs picked up Bendigo forward Fergus Greene at No.70.

The 18-year-old said his selection came as a surprise and he had spent the evening at home with close family members.

"When it got to the 60s and 70s I thought, this is where if I go, I'll probably be a chance," he said.
    "I didn't want to invite too many friends around because I didn't want to waste their time, but I did catch up with them later in the night which was good."

One quality put Greene ahead of the rest of the draftees – he scored 15.6 on the infamous beep test at this year's Rookie Me combine event, the best of any of his peers.

Greene said he had trained for the test by running 10-15km three or four times a week.

"Getting out of bed is always tough, but once you do that you can get going," he said.
    "It was around exam time that the combine was on, so I was able to have a bit of free time that I could do it during the day."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: After the draft, time to start building Bulldogs

That quote from Fergus Greene about having spent the night at home with family sounds like an alibi. "Honestly your honour, I was watching TV at home"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the interview with our 4 draft picks. Gee they speak well for young chaps - babies really (you want to take them home and give them a good feed). Loved it when Tim English noted he had been at boarding school for 7 years and living with his brother for another I.e. Doubt he is a flight risk. Clear our existing players have been really welcoming too. What a club we barrack for, building for sustained success. Very proud supporter/member and I suspect majority of our picks will make it, or at minimum leave no stone unturned for want of effort.

Irrelevant side note - they all have luxurious hair too. Tom Boyd now has some serious rivals in the dreamy hair stakes.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assessed by Emma Quayle and Michael Gleeson - all teams here

Western Bulldogs − unchanged

In:
    Travis Cloke, Tim English (19), Patrick Lipinski (28), Lewis Young (49), Fergus Greene (70), Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (rookie)

Out:
    Jed Adcock, Luke Goetz, Joel Hamling, Nathan Hrovat, Will Minson, Koby Stevens.

WHAT THEY GOT:
    The best ruck prospect in the draft, English, who'll take some time and so was the right player for the right pick at selection 19. They have the list to be able to give him time. Another versatile option in Lipinski, who is good enough to play next year. Some raw developing talls for their forward line. And, of course, Cloke.

IMPACT:

They lost Hamling but expected Marcus Adams to reclaim his spot anyway. Cloke if he can rediscover his best would be an enormous benefit; if he doesn't, he plays VFL. Crameri likewise. He was adequately covered when out, now it's on him to reclaim his spot. Nothing in the changes suggest they go backwards, but when you are top staying there is challenging enough.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Remi Moses, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Assessed by Emma Quayle and Michael Gleeson - all teams here

Western Bulldogs − unchanged

In:
    Travis Cloke, Tim English (19), Patrick Lipinski (28), Lewis Young (49), Fergus Greene (70), Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (rookie)

Out:
    Jed Adcock, Luke Goetz, Joel Hamling, Nathan Hrovat, Will Minson, Koby Stevens.

WHAT THEY GOT:
    The best ruck prospect in the draft, English, who'll take some time and so was the right player for the right pick at selection 19. They have the list to be able to give him time. Another versatile option in Lipinski, who is good enough to play next year. Some raw developing talls for their forward line. And, of course, Cloke.

IMPACT:

They lost Hamling but expected Marcus Adams to reclaim his spot anyway. Cloke if he can rediscover his best would be an enormous benefit; if he doesn't, he plays VFL. Crameri likewise. He was adequately covered when out, now it's on him to reclaim his spot. Nothing in the changes suggest they go backwards, but when you are top staying there is challenging enough.

Still hard to believe.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Moves very well for a 205cm mountain.