Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 Player Watch: Lin Jong

Lin had no shortage of offers from other clubs, for a chance to play at a bigger club, or for more selection and/or for much more money. But he turned his back on them all to stay with us and back himself in to rise another level in performance. So what are we expecting of Lin in 2017? Will Lin be become a regular senior player? Are we still focussing him on the inside midfield or are there other roles for him? It's shaping as a big year for Lin and I'm hoping he can rise to the next level that he feels he has within him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Player Watch: Lin Jong

While I don't think he is in our best 22 it was mainly injuries that slowed him down this year and he certainly got that shoulder injury at the wrong time. Competition for midfield spots will likely come from Webb and Dale so there is incentive from Jong to make sure he's as fit as he can be and working on improving his skills.

BT, I think he's one of the harder players to get a genuine gauge on but to me he has to make a success on being that inside midfielder.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I don't think he is in our best 22 it was mainly injuries that slowed him down this year and he certainly got that shoulder injury at the wrong time. Competition for midfield spots will likely come from Webb and Dale so there is incentive from Jong to make sure he's as fit as he can be and working on improving his skills.

BT, I think he's one of the harder players to get a genuine gauge on but to me he has to make a success on being that inside midfielder.
    100% agree on him being hard to gauge on. There seems a good tease from him followed by a lull in his progress. With Stevens & Hrovat (& Adcock to an extent) all gone and Wally out for next year (40 AFL games between them this year) there seems an opening for him to have a really good chance at making this year his breakout year. But if Clay starts to rotate through the middle with Dunkley, Webb and any kids then he's a week to week proposition. But there's less competition arguably for him next year so there's no excuses if he teases & lulls again. Perhaps we just need to change his calendar to read September for every month of the year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: 2017 Player Watch: Lin Jong

Jong reminds me a little of Picken a few years ago. No-one had Liam in our best 22 and every pre-season many on this board suggested he would be overtaken by others on the list. It never happened.

Jong strikes me as someone who has a lot of support amongst the coaches and it wouldn't surprise me if he is in the team come round one. He generally has strong pre-seasons and hits form very early in the season. His improvement has been steady and impressive and whilst he still has shortcomings I expect him to continue his improvement in 2017 and make it difficult for others to displace him.

One of our mentally toughest players......even though he's a bit of a blubberer.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Expect big things I say. He's backed himself in to be in our best 22 so he must have identified a spot he thinks he can be competitive for. He can take the ball and burst away from the contest with the best of them when he is playing good footy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

In order to make the the best 22 and play midfield, Jong needs to get more of the ball as well as improve his decision making skills. To often he just fires a handball nowhere, or kicks the ball forward to get rid of it. If he can improve in these two areas, he will be invaluable to the team as he doesn't lack courage and isnot afraid to put his head down.

I can't see him playing too many other roles, so he needs to make a fist of it in the midfield.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jong did play 16 games last year, was top 10 in stats such as contested possessions and tackles and was one of our best players in finals week one prior to his injury. He probably would've held his spot through the finals barring the injury. If he isn't best 22, he's a lot closer than many think.

9. Likes choconmientay, Eastdog, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was also BOG in the VFL grand final ahead of the likes of Honeychurch, Webb, Stevens(gone), Williams, Lynch ... and he is backing himself in to be in next year's best 22. I am excited to see how much he can improve next season. A year back, no one would expect him to have a year he have had. He may still surprise us all over again.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see Jong holding a spot in our best 22 next year.

He's got wheels, can take an overhead mark and can do the defensive stuff. Not too sure who he displaces from our GF 22 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I see Jong holding a spot in our best 22 next year.

He's got wheels, can take an overhead mark and can do the defensive stuff. Not too sure who he displaces from our GF 22 though.
    well this is the great problem we have.

Aside from Jong we have Murphy, Crameri, Cloke, Adams & Suckling, who have claims for a senior berth and the same would be applied to Wallis if he were fit. Let alone Jong.

So who misses out?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

14. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're going to need a squad and not just top 22 .
    As we saw this year injuries and keeping healthy is pretty difficult .
    Best 22, I wouldn't have Lin in it, but he is more than capable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In order to make the the best 22 and play midfield, Jong needs to get more of the ball as well as improve his decision making skills. To often he just fires a handball nowhere, or kicks the ball forward to get rid of it. If he can improve in these two areas, he will be invaluable to the team as he doesn't lack courage and isnot afraid to put his head down.
    To be fair this has always been the knock on Jong yet it should also be acknowledged that he has improved these aspects of his game considerably each year to the point I don't believe it is anywhere near the issue some still make it out to be.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    To be fair this has always been the knock on Jong yet it should also be acknowledged that he has improved these aspects of his game considerably each year to the point I don't believe it is anywhere near the issue some still make it out to be.
    Agree this area has improved as has his kicking. My point is to be best 22 and with so much competition for spots, he needs to take the next step.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I'd like to see him get more of the ball. If he's not doing that he needs to be hitting the scoreboard / hurting the opposition the other way [which he is doing]. I'm happy where he's at and think he will take another step next year and there's no question the MC feel the same given how keen we were to get him into the team late in the year. He's got the attributes to be a point of difference and at his best he's definitely best 22.

The other issue, and perhaps the biggest, is he needs to believe he can contribute each week at this level.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

He was one of the few who played well against Freo in the last match in the home and away before he was injured.Had 28 possessions.Continues to improve yearly. Really happy he stayed.