Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Player Watch: Lin Jong

Geez, I'd love it if it all clicked for Jong. He reminds me a little of Aaron Hall from GC - big bodied, athletic mid prone to big gaps between his best and worst games. Hall had a real purple patch early in the year and dropped off big time. If Jong can reach a similar level, accumulating big numbers and being dangerous up forward and can find a way to maintain that form, he becomes a huge asset and point of difference. We lack a power athlete in the midfield, like a Dangerfield/Judd burst type. Of course, he'll never reach anywhere near those levels but we don't need him too. 4 or 5 quality moments of burst clearances that lead to scores, along with some aerial wins up forward would be more than enough per game.

Gut feel is he has a middling year and gets overtaken by the likes of Webb, Williams, Dunkley in the midfield pecking order.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

His kicking has been a bit of a worry. But he can kick because some of his long kicking on the run is really good. He needs to work on his set shot routine if he's going to rest forward.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He was one of the few who played well against Freo in the last match in the home and away before he was injured.Had 28 possessions.Continues to improve yearly. Really happy he stayed.
    Was really good against West Coke two weeks later as well prior to getting injured.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    well this is the great problem we have.

Aside from Jong we have Murphy, Crameri, Cloke, Adams & Suckling, who have claims for a senior berth and the same would be applied to Wallis if he were fit. Let alone Jong.

So who misses out?
    I think we need to approach the afl for a 19th team! Western-bulldogs A!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Geez, I'd love it if it all clicked for Jong. He reminds me a little of Aaron Hall from GC - big bodied, athletic mid prone to big gaps between his best and worst games. Hall had a real purple patch early in the year and dropped off big time. If Jong can reach a similar level, accumulating big numbers and being dangerous up forward and can find a way to maintain that form, he becomes a huge asset and point of difference. We lack a power athlete in the midfield, like a Dangerfield/Judd burst type. Of course, he'll never reach anywhere near those levels but we don't need him too. 4 or 5 quality moments of burst clearances that lead to scores, along with some aerial wins up forward would be more than enough per game.

Gut feel is he has a middling year and gets overtaken by the likes of Webb, Williams, Dunkley in the midfield pecking order.
    Early this year Jong said he is modelling his game on Danger.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Picking best 22 is no longer applicable at the Dogs as Beveridge has changed the whole landscape.

He looks to use everyone on the list as evidenced by only Hamilton and Lynch not getting a game already.

If Jong can solidify as a regular playing 15 to 20 games he will have done very well.

He does have the ability to burst from a stoppage like Dangerfield and is very good overhead. If he gets it to come together consistently he makes us a better team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Picking best 22 is no longer applicable at the Dogs as Beveridge has changed the whole landscape.

He looks to use everyone on the list as evidenced by only Hamilton and Lynch not getting a game already.

If Jong can solidify as a regular playing 15 to 20 games he will have done very well.

He does have the ability to burst from a stoppage like Dangerfield and is very good overhead. If he gets it to come together consistently he makes us a better team.
    Agreed. It is a week by week proposition rather than a 'best' 22.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Jong is slowly making progress but he still doesn't get enough of the ball, considering he is playing midfield. The last two weeks I have been disappointed in his goal kicking, especially when he had chances to score.

He is also not consistent enough throughout the four quarters. He seems to disappear in the middle of the game.

I am confident he will hold his place and get better and better.

How do others see his progress?
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-05-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty seem to think Jong will be replaced once Wallis, Dickson and Crameri return....or be overtaken by Webb or Dale. I'm not so sure.

His form has been pretty solid and he has the benefit of having some attributes the others don't. I think the MC like and rate Jongy and as long as he continues to show improvement in his weaker areas, I expect him to hold his position.

I have no question that his decision making has improved and despite some impetuous handballs, his ability to take the game on results in some of our best and most exciting transitions. His quick handballs are clearly by instruction but he needs to learn to weight them better when the situation requires it rather than automatically fire bullets. If he could finish his work better in front of goal he should average at least one goal a game.

I like how he's progressing....just needs a little more polish. His marking and courage can never be questioned.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he brings some fine attributes to our game.
    That front on tackle he put in on a second effort shows what he is capable of.
    But for all the good he does, he can undo his great work with a bit of sloppy play.
    I too think he will only get better and he has only played 45 games and averages 15 disposals and 4.5 tackles a game.
    Still only learning by games played at AFL level like a lot of our players.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

With a full list to pick from Lin and a few others will struggle to keep their spots. He has been good at times but too often drifts out of games. One thing people can't knock is his courage and consistentcy in the packs. When the action is swirling and whirling Lin Jong is always in the thick of it doing his bit.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Like others in the 16-22 range, he'll hold his spot whilst his form holds up. It's for others not in the 22 to force their way in.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Some really good signs of improvement, but still some bad habits still about. If he can continue improving, using his burst pace to real advantage and reduce the bad habits (handballing to others under more pressure etc) then he will be firmly best 22. Even Moreso if he starts nailing most of his goal scoring opportunities.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Press Conference

* Saints looking good, I imagine another big contest. We're looking to fix issues around ball & hopefully get the win

* I've had a really good pre-season, uninterrupted. Hurt of missing out does makes me that little bit hungrier

* Not really in ruck to win hit outs, but once the ball hits the ground I'm just another midfielder

* Adding different strings to my game, going in the ruck. Feel like I've been more consistent this year which is nice

* Bevo spoke about how we let it slip and how it been a theme this year, but best thing we can do is move on and prepare for this week

* There's things like skill errors and teams playing well that creates inconsistencies but we're working on it

15. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Improving Dog happy to be a little big man

Ryan Davidson May 23, 2017 3:03 PM

AS A coach, Luke Beveridge does things a little bit differently.

Whether it's quoting children's author 'Dr Seuss' in speeches, or comparing the game's rules to comedy series 'Fawlty Towers', you never quite know what to expect from the premiership mentor.

But that tendency to surprise was no more evident than recently, with Beveridge employing midfielders to regularly contest the ruck in the absence of injured big men Jordan Roughead and Tom Campbell.

Lin Jong was one of the ball winners tasked with helping Tom Boyd combat the giants of the AFL, and the athletic 23-year-old didn't mind one bit.

"I'm not there to win hit-outs, as long as I compete and once the ball lands on the ground I'm just like another midfielder," Jong told reporters on Tuesday.

"I guess it's been a pretty good transition, (the coaches) know what they want of me and I know what to do."

While he's been busy adding another string to his bow, Jong has also established himself in the Dogs' best line-up.

The former rookie, who is averaging 20 possessions and five tackles a game in 2017, adds a point of difference to the premier's on-ball division as he has explosive pace to burst away from a stoppage.

After missing out on the club's drought-breaking flag last season, Jong is keen to remain part of the premiership defence after playing just 48 games in six seasons at Whitten Oval.

"I'm just adding versatility to my game. I didn't think I'd be playing in the ruck that much in the AFL, but it's going OK," he said.

"I feel like I've been a lot more consistent, in terms of my last few years I've been a bit in and out (of the team).

"I don't feel comfortable thinking I'm a walk-up start (in the side), so I put that pressure on myself every week and I feel that's why I'm playing more consistently.

"The hurt of missing out (on the Grand Final), I guess, makes you want it that little bit more."

With the Dogs sitting eighth ahead of a massive clash against St Kilda on Saturday, Jong thinks he knows what the coach is talking about when he curiously compared the side's up and down form this season to an episode of the sci-fi television series The X Files.

"I haven't really seen the The X Files, but I'd imagine he is referring to our consistency throughout four quarters," he said.

"There are things like skill errors and sometimes the other teams are playing really well, but we haven't quite put our finger on it, so we're working to find our best form."