Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Player Watch: Lin Jong

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Jong is slowly making progress but he still doesn't get enough of the ball, considering he is playing midfield. The last two weeks I have been disappointed in his goal kicking, especially when he had chances to score.

He is also not consistent enough throughout the four quarters. He seems to disappear in the middle of the game.

I am confident he will hold his place and get better and better.

How do others see his progress?
    You have to admire his courage and was unlucky not to be part of our Premiership win. With Wallis back, together with Bontempelli and hopefully before long Liberatore, Jong does begin to give us more depth in the midfield. I see him being in our best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    You have to admire his courage and was unlucky not to be part of our Premiership win. With Wallis back, together with Bontempelli and hopefully before long Liberatore, Jong does begin to give us more depth in the midfield. I see him being in our best 22.
    Agree, getting better every week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He'd be among the first picked recently. I'm really happy he's continued to improve, his burst pace stands out. I was of the view I'd rather sign Hrovat if the trade offer for Jong was good, but I'm happy enough that we went the other way. And happier again if he can keep improving.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm happy to claim credit Jong as I've been a fan of him since he started with the club.

Yes he has some weaknesses, but he also has strengths which we don't have a lot of (ie pace, can jump, decent mark, plays well in big games). While he still does deliver the odd hot handball, he has vastly improved the worst parts of his game. His kicking is reasonably reliable now with the odd miss kick, and sometimes his vision is actually pretty good. He is getting less handball happy and is getting the confidence back to take the game on (and gee he becomes a different player when he does), and his special awareness is improving. Lin I think tries to be a little more conservative with his disposal as he knows he's not elite in that area.
    Whereas Caleb Daniel seems to be doing the opposite, he is elite but thinks he needs to hold onto the ball too long and hit the impossible too often that he is turning it over way too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Well i'm happy to claim credit Jong as I've been a fan of him since he started with the club.

Yes he has some weaknesses, but he also has strengths which we don't have a lot of (ie pace, can jump, decent mark, plays well in big games). While he still does deliver the odd hot handball, he has vastly improved the worst parts of his game. His kicking is reasonably reliable now with the odd miss kick, and sometimes his vision is actually pretty good. He is getting less handball happy and is getting the confidence back to take the game on (and gee he becomes a different player when he does), and his special awareness is improving. Lin I think tries to be a little more conservative with his disposal as he knows he's not elite in that area.
    Whereas Caleb Daniel seems to be doing the opposite, he is elite but thinks he needs to hold onto the ball too long and hit the impossible too often that he is turning it over way too much.
    You do have to admit that Caleb has been one of our best players over the past 3-4 games. After some very indifferent early form he is back to his best and hasn't missed a target the past few weeks. I'd think Caleb has been our best performed player since the GWS game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin needs to work on his game sense. He has been coached to take the game on every time he gets the ball which has removed the subtleties of holding it up to make space for your team mates to run into. It would also be good to see him break some tackles instead of awkward handballs when he runs into trouble
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Lin needs to work on his game sense. He has been coached to take the game on every time he gets the ball which has removed the subtleties of holding it up to make space for your team mates to run into. A lot of his hospital handballs are where he has sprinted with the ball right up to where his team mate is so when he gets caught it's an awkward 1m handball and the same tackler is still in play

It would also be good to see him break some tackles
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Lin needs to work on his game sense. He has been coached to take the game on every time he gets the ball which has removed the subtleties of holding it up to make space for your team mates to run into. It would also be good to see him break some tackles instead of awkward handballs when he runs into trouble
    Funny time to post this. I think the last two weeks he has made huge improvements in his ball use and disposal. The last two weeks he has typically grabbed the ball, accelerated away from the contest for 5 steps and then steadied and kicked it forward. Sure earlier this year there were multiple occasions where he handballed to stationary players in worse spots than him but he has recently seemed to have fixed that somewhat.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is Lin or fastest player (behind JJ) with ball in hand, but our slowest when chasing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is it just me or is Lin or fastest player (behind JJ) with ball in hand, but our slowest when chasing?
    Tbf I think Tom Boyd is our slowest chaser but I don't think it's from lack of effort. Although on recent examples maybe it's Bailey Williams.

It's an interesting point, I think it's more because Lin doesn't get the ball much in open play but rather in a contest which he can accelerate out of. It's hard to accelerate out of a contest and follow someone, and generally around the field he seems to be stuck to a player so doesn't need to chase.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm a bit with you on this one. With ball in hand he is explosive but he appears to just lope along when chasing. Reminds my of Johnno when he played.....ran like a man possessed when he had the ball but really laboured when chasing. I don't think he ever caught a player in his whole career. The general rule is that the more a player throws his head around, the least effort he is making to chase. I know this because it applied to me when I played.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

13. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Jong could kick like Suckling, and Suckling had Jong's pace and courage, we would have two of the best ever Afl/Vfl players in history. Unfortunately this will never eventuate, therefore we have two players with flaws that I cannot see them overcoming. I hope and pray that I am wrong
    !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    If Jong could kick like Suckling, and Suckling had Jong's pace and courage, we would have two of the best ever Afl/Vfl players in history. Unfortunately this will never eventuate, therefore we have two players with flaws that I cannot see them overcoming. I hope and pray that I am wrong
    !!!!
    Reckon he took a step back tonight with some of his execution however there has been significant improvement in his kicking and decision making over the last month.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Reckon he took a step back tonight with some of his execution however there has been significant improvement in his kicking and decision making over the last month.
    Yep. 10 rounds so far:

Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back.

Jong is still 5 steps ahead of his AFL form last year. That's the take home message. He's progressively getting better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes always right liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. 10 rounds so far:

Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back. Two steps forward, one back.

Jong is still 5 steps ahead of his AFL form last year. That's the take home message. He's progressively getting better.
    He went missing again for awhile, only had 3 touches in the last quarter, but I still maintain he is overall on the up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.