Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs premiership star Jake Stringer lends advice to Bendigo's indigenous team

2 months old news

Western Bulldogs premiership star Jake Stringer lends advice to Bendigo's indigenous team
    KIERAN ILES, 10 Oct 2016, 2 p.m.

BENDIGO'S indigenous team coach Peter Natoli has sought some premiership advice from a mate ahead of this weekend's Murrun Dhelk Senior Football and Netball Carnival.

Natoli called on Western Bulldogs premiership star Jake Stringer to address his players during training at St Peters Primary School in Bendigo on Sunday.

The pair have been long-time friends, stretching back to the days Stringer was an under-12s inter-league player under the coaching of Natoli.

"Peter and Lisa Natoli have been good friends of ours and Blake (Natoli) and my best mate Koe Ngawati are playing in the carnival, so it's a good opportunity to come down and show my face to the boys and give them some support," he said.

Video: https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...62&oe=584AAE3C

"Hopefully I can try and get the community behind a great cause - it's not just about the indigenous (people), it's about bringing everyone in the community together.

"It's a wonderful thing the indigenous people have their own carnival and celebration, but there is some non-indigenous players as well."

This is the second year running Bendigo and District Aboriginal Cooperative and Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation have co-hosted the carnival.

About 70 football and netball teams over the weekend, with grand finals to be played on Sunday afternoon.

Each of the 21 football teams contesting the carnival is allowed two non-indigenous players, with Sandhurst 2016 premiership midfielder Ngawati and Eaglehawk's Blake Natoli filling the role for Bendigo.

Stringer has two indigenous teammates at the Bulldogs - premiership defender Joel Hamling and midfielder Kobe Stevens, who missed the grand final triumph.

He said he would watch with interest the Bendigo team's progress over the two days.

The former Bendigo Pioneer and Eaglehawk player is still coming to terms with the Bulldogs' stunning grand final win and first premiership since 1954.

"It's been a whirlwind - to be honest I think it;s only just starting to sink in, if it even is," Stringer said.

"It was an amazing week.

"The support and the amount of people that were behind us was unbelievable.

"Because you get so caught up with what you have to do and what the team needs to do, you don't sort of get the whole feel of it all. Afterwards, it is quite touching.”

Natoli said he was encouraging players to get around each other, be positive and enjoy the carnival.

"Jake had a talk to me about how they were at the Bulldogs this year - it was all about playing happy and enjoyment," he said.

"If you are happy and enjoying your football your confidence shows out and you actually work harder and play for each other.

"That what I've been trying to instil in the lads here."

The carnival will be bolstered by the on-field preence of a sprinkling of former AFL stars including West Coast's David Wirrpanda
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs premiership star Jake Stringer lends advice to Bendigo's indigenous team

I have some distant cousins on that team.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs premiership star Jake Stringer lends advice to Bendigo's indigenous team

How great is Jake ?
    This is not the first an article on Jake outside of his football that has impressed me, some seem to forget their mates when become AFL players, Jake seems to embrace them more.
    With his appeal I can see him having a decent media carrer post footy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    2 months old news
    Stringer has two indigenous teammates at the Bulldogs - premiership defender Joel Hamling and midfielder Kobe Stevens, who missed the grand final triumph.
    Better change that to, 'had'.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not to distant TD, they are only in Bendigo.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Premiership star ?? I would have thought player but not star.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He is a star that played in a premiership. Have no issues with the headline.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes always right liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I didn't know you were indigenous
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Mate....they are all premiership stars.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 22 who should always be prefaced with Premiership Hero and nothing less.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post

Not to distant TD, they are only in Bendigo.
    Mate, you know what family can be like. Aunty Bev got sat at the wrong table at cousin Aileen's wedding back in 1958 but we took Mabel's side and haven't spoken since?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I didn't know you were indigenous
    Way back, Jamacian too. These guys are my cousins kids and grandkids. My Aunty married an indigenous guy-they are more into than me which is not at all really.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes KT31 liked this post