Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheltenham-based South African meat producer Protea Foods provides recovery snack to AFL premiers Western Buldogs

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/i...805cfb54ffaf53

COULD a South African superfood be the secret to the Western Bulldogs’ premiership success?

Biltong is an air dried beef packed with muscle-building protein and has been a staple food for the Bulldogs since they signed with Protea Foods in July.

The Cheltenham-based South African meat producer and supplier has since provided the premiers with their low-salt Protein Punch variety of biltong.

Bulldogs dietitian Claire Saundry said the players primarily ate biltong as a post-training “recovery snack” due to its high protein content.

“The total amount of protein eaten is important, however the body can only use a relatively small amount of protein at any one time,” Ms Saundry said.

“Spreading protein intake over the day and including appropriate recovery options such as Protein Punch after training can achieve a positive protein balance promoting muscle growth.”

Protea Foods administrator Sally Weelson said the family company’s association with the Bulldogs began with coach Luke Beveridge frequenting their store for the dried meat.

“Luke Beveridge likes the stokkies — a type of biltong — then we showed him the Protein Punch, which is another type of biltong which he introduced to the players, and their dietitian loved it,” Mrs Weelson said.

We’ve become very passionate Bulldogs fans and it was really exciting when they won the premiership.

“I’d like to say the players were better for having biltong.”

Protea Foods began more than 50 years ago when Mrs Weelson’s uncle moved to Melbourne from South Africa and opened a deli in Brighton.

He began making biltong and the company grew and moved to Cheltenham, but has always stayed in the family.

Mrs Weelson said Protea Foods also supplied the South African cricket team throughout their recent test series win over Australia.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cheltenham-based South African meat producer Protea Foods provides recovery snack to AFL premiers Western Buldo

We did it with jerky.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cheltenham-based South African meat producer Protea Foods provides recovery snack to AFL premiers Western Buldo

Well that company just quadrupled their profits over the next quarter.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

No innuendo intended but I love a good jerky and to think I could have played AFL if I ate the correct one.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

6. Likes N/A, josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Protea Foods, now that you're supporters:

We’ve become very passionate Bulldogs fans and it was really exciting when they won the premiership.
    It's 'we', 'we won the premiership.'

I'll never get tired of saying that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    We did it with jerky.
    Jerky is like a pissweak version of biltong - that stuff is very prevalent in the UK where there is a large ex. pat Saffer community and it is absolutely delicious. Ostrich is my personal favourite variety.

We have made so many good calls this season in all aspects of the club, and this is another small example.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Biltong's a fantastic snack. Lean and filling, as well as really tasty.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

How is it cooked? Is it cooked?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Air dried I suspect. The process may take the fat out of it. Do they do hippo? Hippoes have some great qualities that hopefully is transferred in their meat.
    Like that guy that got busted for shooting a koala and the judge said it was a disgrace to shoot a national emblem but how did it taste? The poacher said that it was good but not as good as the wombat.
    Footscray Football Republic.

14. Likes KT31, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hungry now.

I've had the coat of arms.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Jerky is like a pissweak version of biltong - that stuff is very prevalent in the UK where there is a large ex. pat Saffer community and it is absolutely delicious. Ostrich is my personal favourite variety.

We have made so many good calls this season in all aspects of the club, and this is another small example.
    I nearly got addicted to the Turkey jerky in Alaska, bloody great stuff.
    I've been looking into making my own jerky the last couple of months and once the peak season settles I will give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I nearly got addicted to the Turkey jerky in Alaska, bloody great stuff.
    I've been looking into making my own jerky the last couple of months and once the peak season settles I will give it a go.

If only you had tried the Turkey Jerky in Albuquerque.

18. Likes KT31, BornInDroopSt'54, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Just a different method of preparation:

South African Biltong is typically made from fresh fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle. Biltong is similar to Beef jerky however the production processes are different as Jerky is firstly cooked then dried, whereas Biltong is spiced, cured and dried.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    If only you had tried the Turkey Jerky in Albuquerque.
    Couldn't find any, I must have taken a wrong turn.

21. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Couldn't find any, I must have taken a wrong turn.
    I've given up on that joke, as I have to explain it to far too many people these days.

23. Likes Throughandthrough, cinder liked this post