Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay Smith recounts fairytale finish to tough year

Pure poetry Doc.

Should point out the guy kicking the goal was the shortest player in the AFL whom we picked up with a speculative 3rd round pick we gained for trading out Liam Jones to Carlton who gave him a 3 year contract. Just some sweet icing on the cake
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doc
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to diminish how that contest makes any of us feel, and I loved Doc's post.......however, I don't think Clay won the bump as decisively as some of us might remember - though with the ball jarring loose he effectively won the contest.

I've watched it over and over again (probably more than any other contest of the finals series) and think it was a magnificent example of two players getting low and having an honest crack at a loose ball. After the actual bump Griffen put in a lunge at the loose ball and got reasonably close to getting a hand on the footy at the same time Daniel did, as much as I've gone off the guy he didn't shirk any aspect at all, the fact that he put everything in and couldn't stop us is most satisfying to me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

10cm taller and 10kg heavier with the bigger man having greater momentum. Also, we goaled. Clay won that as much as anyone could ever win a contest.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I did say Clay won the contest. But I'm not sure when Griffen (irrespective of what it says on the Giants web page and Wikipedia) became so tall and heavy.

All I am saying is I've heard many a supporter talk about how Clay smashed Griffen in the bump and I think that's inaccurate. Barely even close - and objective - examination of the evidence shows that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm pretty sure I did say Clay won the contest. But I'm not sure when Griffen (irrespective of what it says on the Giants web page and Wikipedia) became so tall and heavy.

All I am saying is I've heard many a supporter talk about how Clay smashed Griffen in the bump and I think that's inaccurate. Barely even close - and objective - examination of the evidence shows that.
    That is how I saw it as well. Both brave and gutsy efforts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump is at 5:30

Griffen fell to his knees, Clay kept his feet

If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Objectivity is immeasurably bias as far as individual observations go. That said, in my bias Smith smashed him as BD says, sent him to his knees while he kept his feet.

I'm not one to question GWS profile data I've never stood next to Griffen to get a handle on his size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Objectivity is immeasurably bias as far as individual observations go. That said, in my bias Smith smashed him as BD says, sent him to his knees while he kept his feet.

I'm not one to question GWS profile data I've never stood next to Griffen to get a handle on his size.
    It'd be surprising if he grew 3-4 cms in his late 20s considering we had him at 186-7 IIRC

Post Thanks / Like

For mine is not so much that Clay 'won' the contest, but that he positioned himself to clear space for a teammate that meant that we got the goal.

It was terrific to watch from both players, and, dare I say it, Griff won a decent chunk of my respect back. He actually rode the bump well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It'd be surprising if he grew 3-4 cms in his late 20s considering we had him at 186-7 IIRC
    Nah we always had him at 188

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Bump is at 5:30

Griffen fell to his knees, Clay kept his feet
    Spot on bd.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I recall him being listed as 189cm in his last couple of years with us - B-Mac added weight tto him to turn him into an inside midfielder, like 95% of our list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I get that Clay kept his feet and all that, but he was clearly off balance and Griffen was in the better position to affect the spilt ball and as you can see, almost got a hand to it as Daniel swooped.

Anyway, if we've come this far it's doubtful our positions on this bumping incident will change. Perhaps we should just get back to how awesome Clay's finals were.

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get that Clay kept his feet and all that, but he was clearly off balance and Griffen was in the better position to affect the spilt ball and as you can see, almost got a hand to it as Daniel swooped.

Anyway, if we've come this far it's doubtful our positions on this bumping incident will change. Perhaps we should just get back to how awesome Clay's finals were.

All of them? Can we handle the bandwidth?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite