Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
    Post Thanks / Like

BLOG: Bulldogs Flag finally wagged

Not sure if this is allowed and delete if so, but I run my own Bulldogs blog and after actually finding the time I have finally pieced together my Grand Final post. I started the blog in 2016 and will continue it with more posts in 2017 onwards.

Below is the latest post today, 3 months late but what can you do?
    https://viewfromthejohngentstand.wor...inally-wagged/

In a win that defied the odds, and put to bed a long standing premiership drought, 62 years after their first Grand Final victory the Western Bulldogs would defeat the Sydney Swans by 22 points in front of 99,981 supporters at the Melbourne Cricket Ground to be crowned 2016 AFL Premiers.

Off the back of a Norm Smith Medal performance from Jason Johannisen and a break out game from young gun forward Tom Boyd, the final score of 13.11 (89) to 10.7 (67) would see the western suburbs erupt as the Bulldogs finally brought the cup back to Footscray.

It was the greatest week in every Western Bulldogs supporters life, the Grand Final parade, training sessions and build up to the 2016 AFL Grand Final is one all Bulldogs fans will never forget.

For many Bulldogs fans being part of a Grand Final was something that had only occurred in dreams, many supporters were not there in 1954 or 1961 to see the clubs only two other appearances across it’s storied history.

I arrived early on Grand Final day, wanting to soak up the atmosphere and the entire day, I didn’t want to miss a thing. From the Grand Final live site action, the swarm of supporters decked in club gear arriving, to just sitting in my seat as I waited for the players to make their first appearance.

As I sat in the Northern Stand with my Wife, Mum and Dad it was no longer about just enjoying the moment of being in a Grand Final, we wanted to win it. They don’t come around very often and are incredibly hard to win, we needed this, and the western suburbs needed this.

The game was in the balance throughout much of the match, as the game wore on the Bulldogs started to gain control. In what will go down as one of the greatest moments in Footscray/Western Bulldogs history, it was the moment I knew we had the game and were on our way to victory.

Sydney were starting to build a surge forward, Lance Franklin would find the ball at the halfback line and look to burst free for the Swans. Dale Morris – as he has done his entire career – would run down Franklin, spilling the ball free and allowing Tom Boyd to gather the ball and launch a shot at goal from inside the center square.

As I rose to my feet and cheered this ball through, the crowd erupted, jumping for joy I would look to my left and see both my Wife and Mother crying, they knew it too, it was the moment you felt that the game was ours and history was being made.

In the midst of all the celebrations and the eventual final siren sounding we were introduced to a lady sitting behind us, she was there in 1954, and like many of us didn’t believe she would ever see the day that the Bulldogs would win another Premiership. And while we may never see this lady again, it was a special moment, it’s people like her which made this day possible. Supporting this club through thick and thin, the heartbeat of our club and the reason it is still around today.

Embracing strangers, high fiving them, people you have never met before, simply because they are wearing the same colours as you. Sport unites people together, it gives us the lowest of lows, but can also give you the most unbelievable of highs.

Leaving the MCG after the celebrations and presentation of the cup and medals, it was next stop Foostcray, going back to where it all began.

Catching the train to Footscray station would be non stop singing of the Bulldogs song as fans continued to roll in, flag waving down Barkley Street towards Whitten Oval would get constant horn honking and people yelling out “Go Dogs!” from their cars.

As we got to the Barkley Street/Geelong Road interchange and adrenaline still pumping, I would run across the lights with flag in tow fist pumping to get the cars going, with everyone in Bulldog spirit the traffic would erupt with horns and cheering. A phone call to the in-laws to see how the kids were going would greet us with being told of them running up and down the street in Laverton waving their Bulldogs flags in joy, it runs in the blood, they love this club as much as their Dad.

The final stop and probably most fitting we would finish the night of celebrations at the Plough Hotel, a stalwart of the Footscray community since 1868. While it might have changed over the years, Bulldogs paintings filling the outside walls show it is still very much Bulldogs territory and place for Bulldogs supporters to meet.

As I sat back and enjoyed some celebratory beverages I thought about all the years I dreamt about this day, how often I would look at other clubs and supporters and hope that one day it was me and what the occasion might feel like. I no longer had to dream, it was reality, I was in the moment and it still felt surreal. Western Bulldogs supporters are not used to this.

You can always dream about what it might feel like to see your club in a Grand Final, a club you have supported your whole life, handed over your hard earned cash year after year just because you love it. But until you actually live in the moment of not only a Grand Final day experience, but a win, your dreams will never compare. You want to bottle the moment and emotions up and keep them forever, because nothing lasts forever and a return is never guaranteed.

When I arrived home there was only one thing to do, switch on the TV and relive what had transpired throughout the day, a day I will never forget.

A day the Flag in Footscray finally wagged.

2. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Bulldog4life, KT31, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLOG: Bulldogs Flag finally wagged

Great read
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that you brought a tear to my eye again.
    l love hearing about peoples emotions they had on the day.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words.

Was actually good to write this late as it brought back plenty of good memories.

8. Likes GVGjr, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A great read - thanks for reminding me again of the most happiest day in my life!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely summed up my thoughts and emotions on the day and the next few after. Great read.

Post Thanks / Like

Just the best day ever. Thanks for that Glove38. That was an excellent read. So true about high fiving to strangers that day people we may have not know but certainly all have the common link that is the Western Bulldogs.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi fives? You must be pretty restrained Easty. There was genuine love in the room (bay?) where I was sitting. Many a stranger was hugged.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hi fives? You must be pretty restrained Easty. There was genuine love in the room (bay?) where I was sitting. Many a stranger was hugged.
    Yep, hugs all round. Blokes near me came over, and one said "Come here pal, 62 bloody years!!“...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

15. Likes Topdog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. One of the greatest days of my life.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll never get sick of reading about it.

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'll never get sick of reading about it.
    Me either Topdog. Just the best day ever.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"