Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 17 of 142 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Chris Grant confirmed we're into Lever this morning on SEN
    Giddy up. Did he mention anyone else, or are we putting all our eggs in one basket again?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant confirmed we're into Lever this morning on SEN
    IN-DEMAND CROW ON OUR RADAR: DOGS FOOTBALL CHIEF

Western Bulldogs director of football Chris Grant says that the club is interested in recruiting young Adelaide defender Jake Lever should he desire a new home.

The Victorian native has had a breakout season from the Crows in 2017, but is yet to commit to his current club beyond the end of this year.

This has led to a host of Victorian sides chasing the 21-year-old key defender's signature, and Grant has confirmed that the Dogs will be one of those clubs should he want to move away from Adelaide.

“He’s certainly a terrific young player, and being a Melbourne-based player… there is going to be an opportunity for him to come home if he did want to do that,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“He’d certainly be the type of player that we would be interested in talking to.”

Grant also discussed the re-signing of rebounding defender Jason Johannisen on a new five-year deal.

The new contract for the 24-year-old, reportedly worth over $3.25 million, sees him stay at the club until the end of the 2022 season, warding off interest from rival clubs.

The Dogs footy boss called it great news to finally have the 2016 Norm Smith medallist put pen to paper after the protracted contract talks between the player and the club.

“It certainly helps us with our playing group, knowing our list over the next five to six years, which is tremendous,” said Grant.

“In incidents like this you’ve just got to give players and their managers enough time to come to a decision that they’re really comfortable with. You have to remember that when player is contracted until the end of a particular year, they are well within their rights to run it until the end of that year if they like.

“As a club you always prefer to do it a bit earlier, but JJ took the time that he needed and we were happy to give him that were are really pleased that he’s come to that decision.

“We’ve had really good discussion with him probably over the last five months and really probably over the last four weeks we’ve been pretty sure we’re are going to get a deal done.”

3. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Giddy up. Did he mention anyone else, or are we putting all our eggs in one basket again?
    I'm okay with it. The second person I would be tabling an offer to at the moment is legit Liam Jones so I don't mind going so hard.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm okay with it. The second person I would be tabling an offer to at the moment is legit Liam Jones so I don't mind going so hard.
    All but signed up with Carlton.

I'm guessing with our offer to Lever we aren't in the race at all for Josh Kelly. Would love to get him. Hopefully we land our man this year. Would hate to miss out again a la Hurley.

Post Thanks / Like

All but signed up with Carlton.

I'm guessing with our offer to Lever we aren't in the race at all for Josh Kelly. Would love to get him. Hopefully we land our man this year. Would hate to miss out again a la Hurley.
    Yep, signing JJ means we'd have to break off another contracted player to get enough credit to trade for Kelly. I don't see that happening. So I think we look at free agency for a mature mid, and Rockliff is hopefully willing to leave for a good contract and Brisbane potentially get pick 2.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We're not the only club chasing Lever and we probably haven't done ourselves any favours the way we've played this year. Surely Lever goes to the club willing to pay him top dollar.....and offering the prospect of success in the coming years. Personally I think he'll stay at the crows....on increased coin.

I don't get the attraction of Rockliff. Just adds to our one pace midfield.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    We're not the only club chasing Lever and we probably haven't done ourselves any favours the way we've played this year. Surely Lever goes to the club willing to pay him top dollar.....and offering the prospect of success in the coming years. Personally I think he'll stay at the crows....on increased coin.

I don't get the attraction of Rockliff. Just adds to our one pace midfield.
    I wouldn't say he's slow. He's 27 and a mature body to put around the ball. He's numbers this year across the entire competition are huge, from top 4 to top 20 in his kicking, his inside 50's, tackling, clearances, contested possessions etc. Hes getting about 28 touches a game with a disposal efficiency better than Dustin Martins too.

So for me, he's a ready made midfielder who wins the hard contested ball, clears it out like a machine, puts tackling pressure on, kicks more than others which includes a lot more inside 50's. Mark's it about 6 times a game and has rebounds out of defensive 50. A bloke who has good offense and good defence, has work ethic running both ways, and works on pressure wherever he is on the ground takes us closer towards what we had last year. A bloke who knows how to deliver it a lot into the forward 50 many times a game is also a good thing.

9. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog, Dry Rot, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would any South Australians on our list come up in potential conversations should Lever want to join us?

You'd think Caleb Daniel's happy/untouchable....or maybe not (untouchable that is) Something in our midfield has to change, though he'd be one of the ones I'd want to keep.

Bailey Williams? Again, I'm keen to keep, though HBF could be covered ok ....would he be any value to the Crows?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Would any South Australians on our list come up in potential conversations should Lever want to join us?

You'd think Caleb Daniel's happy/untouchable....or maybe not (untouchable that is) Something in our midfield has to change, though he'd be one of the ones I'd want to keep.

Bailey Williams? Again, I'm keen to keep, though HBF could be covered ok ....would he be any value to the Crows?
    Declan Hamilton is an out and out gun. Maybe we can add him in.

12. Likes The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide have major salary cap pressure because they had to give Joe the Goose Jenkins a ridiculously large and long term contract last year, and they already have Talia, Betts, Walker and others on large contracts (fair enough too). Lever is very gettable if he wants to come home.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Adelaide have major salary cap pressure because they had to give Joe the Goose Jenkins a ridiculously large and long term contract last year, and they already have Talia, Betts, Walker and others on large contracts (fair enough too). Lever is very gettable if he wants to come home.
    Yep. And they still need to sign Sloane and McGovern too. So someone will be squeezed out. Can't see Sloane leaving so it means Lever will have to take a pay cut to stay in Adelaide as opposed to returning home for more money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    * Let Hrovat, Hamling & Stevens go for little... If nothing else they all offered depth and weren't replaced. Hamling was more than depth. Market dictates what you get, and Hrovat & Stevens barely best 22, Hamling -maybe could have got more, who knows.
    We didn't replace the depth is what I'm getting at.. Bar Cloke we didn't bring in any 'ready to go players'... We did add Crameri and the LTI's from last year, but our draftee's are all long term investments.

* Re-signed Hamilton who is yet to play. - Is that JMacs decision or football department want him
    Would think the list manager has a fair say in it.. That's his job.

* Re-signed Prudden who is always injured. Signed as a Rookie not a senior player - again Football department decision.
    Still takes up spot on a list & resources.

* Bungled the JJ deal... Had to call in re-inforcements (C.Grant) Bungled mmmmmm - 5 year deal, the Grant report was that really correct?
    All good in hindsight.

* Re-signed Picken, Roberts & Smith perhaps earlier than we needed to and all are really battling now. Deserved it, player of the finals - got us a premiership
    Picken helped get us a premiership, but we went against a previous policy of 1yr deals for 30+ players.. I hope he can turn it around, but the signs aren't positive.

The other 2 have been nothing other than ordinary this year and if they were uncontracted at present we woudl be looking to move them on.. Clay had a brilliant finals series, but has slowed considerably since then and is offering us nothing.. Fletcher gets hidden when surrounded by good players (playing well) and a team defence, but is (and always has been) a battler when left to fend for himself... Haven't seen many 6'5" players offer less in a physical contest than Fletch.

I think you are being very harsh
    Harsh or not questions need to be asked on why we have dropped off considerably this year and I don't think the points I have raised are unfair in anyway.

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You make reasonable points, I just really disagree that McCartney can be called out for bungling the JJ deal by having to call in management reinforcements - if that's what actually happened. That happens in commercial negotiations all the time, from all accounts we signed him well and truly in the ball park of what was put on the table some time ago.

I suppose you might know something we don't, however.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We should gave walked away from the Hamling deal. Its all well and good providing the players with what they want, but what about the club? The club that scraped him up and gave him another chance? That provided him with a premiership? We should have held out for a better deal or let him walk to the PSD. Messages to the playing group work both ways
    Then we'd have posters crying foul for letting him go for nothing . It's not wise to adopt the "Dodoro" at trade time , as it may come back to bite you on the arse . Good relationships are important with other clubs . Disappointed Hamling left, but it was his choice .

Post Thanks / Like

Gee mantis I think you're doing some hindsight posting yourself .
    Clay Smith thouroughly deserved on form to be signed , as did Picken .
    Johannisen deal is about right, yes he's out of form , but line breaking back man are in great demand .