Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 21 of 142 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

If Kelly is unobtainable would we chase Hopper?

Clubs circling the other out-of-contract Giant mid

MOST attention surrounds Josh Kelly's future with Greater Western Sydney, but clubs continue to circle fellow young Giant Jacob Hopper as the midfielder delays a call on his own contract situation.

Hopper's original two-year contract expires with the Giants at the end of this season, and he is unlikely to make a decision on his next move until then. He hasn't played since round seven since injuring his finger and subsequently his ankle at training.

AFL.com.au understands Hopper, a graduate of the club's academy program, has a preference at this stage to remain with the Giants, but that rivals continue to eye the ball-winner who made a stunning debut last season when he gathered 32 disposals in round eight against Gold Coast.

Geelong and Collingwood have been linked to Hopper, but non-Victorian clubs Adelaide and the Brisbane Lions are also among the teams believed to be monitoring his decision.

Hopper joined the club with its first pick (No.7 overall) at the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, and was followed by Matthew Kennedy (No.13) and Harrison Himmelberg (No.16) as fellow first-round academy picks.

All three remain unsigned for next year, with contract discussions recently opening with Himmelberg for a new deal but no movement with Kennedy, who has played 11 senior games this season and averaged 18 disposals.

Hopper grew up in Leeton, which fell in the Giants' New South Wales academy region, but moved to Ballarat as a teenager to study at St Patrick's College and played with the Rebels in the TAC Cup.

The Giants' unsigned trio are among a small group of first-round picks from the 2015 draft who are yet to commit beyond this season, alongside Essendon's Darcy Parish, Richmond's Daniel Rioli and Adelaide defender Tom Doedee.

Greater Western Sydney recently locked away its first three picks from last year's draft – Will Setterfield, Tim Taranto and Harry Perryman – to two-year contract extensions which tie them to the club until the end of 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if we need Hopper. I mean he would be a great addition as he is a great player, but might be more of what we already have and for the price we'd have to pay probably not worth it. His not the most skilled player and isn't overly quick either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Picken at his age I'll concede was risky , but Smith deserved another contract .He was immense in the month that counts
    Smith was very good in the finals, but he is miles off that form now.. Looks really slow and lacking mobility which is limiting his ability to apply forward pressure.

Hopefully another pre-season does him wonders because on his form in 2017 he doesn't look like he will be a regular member of our team moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got fed a rumour that GWS are into Lever as part of a three way deal to get Gibbs to Adelaide, should Kelly decide to leave for Carlton.

Sounds like bullshit but thought it was some food for thought. Would be really annoying if Lever was to leave (Leve?) Adelaide and not come to us.

Edit - so let's say that this is the case, I'd have the trade working out something like;

Adelaide - Give: Lever, 3rd Pick, Get: Gibbs, Carlton's 2nd
    GWS - Give: Kelly, Get: Lever, Adelaide's 3rd
    Carlton - Give: Gibbs, 2nd, Get: Kelly

If this is so, then we have to top Gibbs and a 2nd round pick, probably around 20 or so. Would our first and a Bailey Williams do it? I'm not sold.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Just got fed a rumour that GWS are into Lever as part of a three way deal to get Gibbs to Adelaide, should Kelly decide to leave for Carlton.

Sounds like bullshit but thought it was some food for thought. Would be really annoying if Lever was to leave (Leve?) Adelaide and not come to us.

Edit - so let's say that this is the case, I'd have the trade working out something like;

Adelaide - Give: Lever, 3rd Pick, Get: Gibbs, Carlton's 2nd
    GWS - Give: Kelly, Get: Lever, Adelaide's 3rd
    Carlton - Give: Gibbs, 2nd, Get: Kelly

If this is so, then we have to top Gibbs and a 2nd round pick, probably around 20 or so. Would our first and a Bailey Williams do it? I'm not sold.
    The only reason Lever would leave Adelaide is to return home (Victoria).

Not as though he will be short on offers from a Victorian based club, either.

6. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The only reason Lever would leave Adelaide is to return home (Victoria).

Not as though he will be short on offers from a Victorian based club, either.
    Just like how Mitch Clark was only going to go to his home state of Perth?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Lever being from Romsey would love to Come to us if that chance came up and would be his first Choice . That's the feel I get.
    It's just dealing with the crows is the hard part and I'm not sure Adelaide and us are on good terms going on recent history.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Just like how Mitch Clark was only going to go to his home state of Perth?
    Not comparing apples with apples here. Quite a lot of variables in play (Melbourne were extremely cashed up and GWS aren't - Clark's character was questionable at best and Lever is touted as captain material).

In this scenario, Lever will earn more money playing in his home state and have his choice of 10 clubs.

It would make zero sense for him to go to GWS financially or geographically.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not comparing apples with apples here. Quite a lot of variables in play (Melbourne were extremely cashed up and GWS aren't - Clark's character was questionable at best and Lever is touted as captain material).

In this scenario, Lever will earn more money playing in his home state and have his choice of 10 clubs.

It would make zero sense for him to go to GWS financially or geographically.
    Unless he looks at premierships. Let's face it they will win a few in the near future.
    And you get bonuses, fame and in the history books, sets you up for life in the media or a lot of other doors , coaching etc after retirement.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we've got an offer in to both Kelly and Lever given we can spend big. We need to have our fingers in the pie and play this both ways, then take the first to agree to terms. JMac will have learnt his lesson with the Hurley debacle and, if this is the way we want to play it, will know that he needs to play Russian roulette on this.

We can afford to do this both in terms of the cash and also as far as personnel goes as both players fit our needs.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Smith was very good in the finals, but he is miles off that form now.. Looks really slow and lacking mobility which is limiting his ability to apply forward pressure.

Hopefully another pre-season does him wonders because on his form in 2017 he doesn't look like he will be a regular member of our team moving forward.
    Had to be re-signed on that form at least . Maybe the knee recos have caught up with him, and he's become comfortable with the flag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

To be honest it's hard to put any pressure on with the way the ball is being delivered straight to the opposition backman. We lead and they put it 4 metres behind us . Right on target to the opposition .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Any interest in Puopolo? A quick small forward who can leap and apply pressure would be handy.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Any interest in Puopolo? A quick small forward who can leap and apply pressure would be handy.
    Ding ding ding ding!

I called him out about a week or two ago.........so yes my fellow Wheelers Hill roughnut, I'm into Poppy (I hate Bruce).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rockliff has been horrendously mismanaged at Brisbane. He is capable of doing for another club what Tom Mitchell has done for Hawthorn this year
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff