Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 71 of 142 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2119
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He is currently on $600,000 a year.

Yeah I know and is not getting a game. Its ridiculous to pay 600k for a player who may not be in your best 22 there is obviously serious question marks against him.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 02-09-2017 at 10:54 PM. Reason: quote error fixed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Yeah I know and is not getting a game. Its ridiculous to pay 600k for a player who may not be in your best 22 there is obviously serious question marks against him.
    In today's environment you pay significantly more for players without question marks
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of question marks ...

In an alternate universe might the club entertain a pitch for Paddy McCartin?

I know. I know! But thinking out loud.

- We have an obvious need for talented natural forwards who can take a contested mark.
    - His age fits our core.
    - St.Kilda may be nearing wits end with him, with sapping patience and an eye on dwindling future returns. If they could flip him for something of value to them, would they listen?
    - Some on our end might surmise he couldn't possibly endure more of the same wretched run he's had, surely. A new environment that diffuses the pressure of his draft position and swelling sense of disappointment might be good for him.

It'd be a breathtaking gamble of course. One I think carries far more risk than is sensible for any suitor. But would the club? And what would we be prepared to pay in return?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern with McCartin is his head knocks and ability to stay on the park.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My biggest concern with McCartin is his head knocks and ability to stay on the park.
    No question, I'd be highly leery as well. But if the bulk of his bad luck's behind him and he can be grabbed at a reduced rate for a 1st overall pick, the potential rewards might be pretty attractive for a club like ours.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    No question, I'd be highly leery as well. But if the bulk of his bad luck's behind him and he can be grabbed at a reduced rate for a 1st overall pick, the potential rewards might be pretty attractive for a club like ours.
    Could he be switched to a CHB role?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

The head knocks are a big concern and I'm also concerned about his diabetes. I can't think of too many really great players who also suffered from diabetes, Dale Weightman being the only example I can think of although I'm sure there are others.

My point being diabetes is a chronic disease that can cause all sorts of allied health problems. And although we have made breakthroughs in testing and treatment and administration of insulin I'd still be wary.

PS, I don't mean to upset or demean anyone suffering from diabetes. It's a terrible illness that is rife through my own family.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Could he be switched to a CHB role?
    That sounds just like something Bevo would do with a dedicated forward.

Interesting question. Perhaps, if he could build more aerobic capacity, but with his sticky hands, leading ability and forward craft I'd be loath to recruit a type we're crying out for only to chuck him down the other end of the park.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The head knocks are a big concern and I'm also concerned about his diabetes. I can't think of too many really great players who also suffered from diabetes, Dale Weightman being the only example I can think of although I'm sure there are others.

My point being diabetes is a chronic disease that can cause all sorts of allied health problems. And although we have made breakthroughs in testing and treatment and administration of insulin I'd still be wary.

PS, I don't mean to upset or demean anyone suffering from diabetes. It's a terrible illness that is rife through my own family.
    A health professional of mine had a son play all his juniors with Paddy was best friends with Paddy's parents. Now obviously she could not disclosure sensitive info, suffice to say his Diabetes is not even a remote concern for Paddy and playing football at any level. It's believed the it was started as a bad rumour at draft time to get him to slide past the first selection. But it didn't work.

With Riewoldt gone, surely he backs himself in to take that spot surely?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks azabob, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    A health professional of mine had a son play all his juniors with Paddy was best friends with Paddy's parents. Now obviously she could not disclosure sensitive info, suffice to say his Diabetes is not even a remote concern for Paddy and playing football at any level. It's believed the it was started as a bad rumour at draft time to get him to slide past the first selection. But it didn't work.

With Riewoldt gone, surely he backs himself in to take that spot surely?
    Sounds like he is extremely lazy then. Apart from the head knocks.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe I am saying this let alone writing it but ........I have a real liking for big Cox! Yes that's right I reckon Mason Cox would be a great get for our club. (NO I did not mispell it) Imagine getting first use of the ball in the middle. Ah yes halcyon days indeed. Wynd Dempsey etc. (MEMORIES) Roughie could float around on big blokes, Toyd could play in the FORWARD line and when Cox was resting forward, imagine Tory Zarsoff, Bonty, Del, String at the drop. He has such a big upside as well and since 3rd man up was removed we have lacked badly in this department. Amongst my colleauges I am a man alone, but what do you guys think????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    Can't believe I am saying this let alone writing it but ........I have a real liking for big Cox! Yes that's right I reckon Mason Cox would be a great get for our club. (NO I did not mispell it) Imagine getting first use of the ball in the middle. Ah yes halcyon days indeed. Wynd Dempsey etc. (MEMORIES) Roughie could float around on big blokes, Toyd could play in the FORWARD line and when Cox was resting forward, imagine Tory Zarsoff, Bonty, Del, String at the drop. He has such a big upside as well and since 3rd man up was removed we have lacked badly in this department. Amongst my colleauges I am a man alone, but what do you guys think????
    I think he might be someone we have an interest in. He's a bit better up forward than most ruckman but won't get the time he needs as a ruckman behind Grundy. He could possible form a decent combination with Boyd.

I'd need a little bit of convincing but it has some merit if we can't get Martin.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Cox was Australian no one would know who he is. Rubbish.

Post Thanks / Like

Cox has just about the worst hands in the VFL.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Cox is shocking when the ball hits the ground as well .