Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Punters get behind Western Bulldogs forward Travis Cloke for Coleman Medal

link

NEW Western Bulldogs spearhead Travis Cloke has been well supported to win this year’s Coleman Medal.
    In a fascinating twist to his departure from Collingwood, the premiership spearhead has attracted the third-most money with TAB to top the league goalkicking tally in 2017.

Only Jeremy Cameron ($7) and Jesse Hogan ($26) have attracted more money than Cloke ($34) to win this year’s Coleman Medal race.

Cloke kicked only 17 goals from 13 AFL games last year, his lowest number of goals in a season in 10 years, and was traded for a late pick.

But the 29-year-old wants to revive his career alongside Dogs’ forwards Tom Boyd and Stewart Crameri inside-50m as the club attempts to win back-to-back premierships next season.

And with a mouth-watering clash against Collingwood lined up in Round 1, punters fancy Cloke to reignite his career at the kennel in preseason betting.

“Cloke’s highest total in a season is 69 goals in 2011 so punters are backing him to have a career-best season with the midfield of Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus and Co. delivering it to him on a platter,” TAB’s Nick Quinn said.

West Coast’s Josh Kennedy ($3.50) is again favourite to win a third-straight Coleman Medal after bagging 80 and 75 goals in his past two seasons.

Sydney superstar Lance Franklin ($4) and Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch ($6) are next in line in the betting market.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Punters get behind Western Bulldogs forward Travis Cloke for Coleman Medal

If that happens, then *!*!*!*! me sideways. I'm a big fan of the trade, but I must value my money a little tighter as there's no way I'd have him to the point that punters do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If that happens, then *!*!*!*! me sideways. I'm a big fan of the trade, but I must value my money a little tighter as there's no way I'd have him to the point that punters do.
    Imagine the reaction of Collingwood supporters if Travis wins the Coleman. Buckley will be lynched

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Throughandthrough, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Imagine the reaction of Collingwood supporters if Travis wins the Coleman. Buckley will be lynched
    What a great day dream. I'd take 5+ goals from Trav in a demolition of them in round 1 to light the fuse on Buckley's career blowing up. That's worth the price of admission in round 1 alone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes bornadog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He'll probably play up the ground too much to be a chance but yes, a haul in round 1 would be wonderful.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

So someone put $20 on Cameron, $15 on Hogan and $10 on Cloke. Why is this a news story?

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    So someone put $20 on Cameron, $15 on Hogan and $10 on Cloke. Why is this a news story?
    Why Not.

Post Thanks / Like

Why Not.
    Suppose I just dislike gambling advertising dressed up as a news story.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree strongly. The less we are talking about gambling in regard to football the better.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Saw Trav today at the club, bloke is in ripping condition.

16. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a silly chance to win the Coleman. You have to think on the last few years form you'd man almost all of our other forwards up before you gave him particular attention. So if Cloke has some days out over the first month and gets some confidennce then who knows?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

If he gets his mojo back working up the ground to the point he starts dominating in the air again he can easily be dropped back and kick big bags if we can isolate him. It will be an interesting feeling having a big forward who when it is dropped on their head is more likely to mark it than have it spoiled.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone about gambling and sports.

Easton Wood agrees - story here

I also hate all the gambling advertising, but must admit I didn't really see it in the Cloke article. I was more looking at the idea of him being favourite to take out the Coleman.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone about gambling and sports.

Easton Wood agrees - story here
    What a champion, great of him to speak out about it like that.

I'm actually an avid gambler but really detest the amount of advertising and as Easton says normalisation of gambling that we see with kids.

Really at the end of the days all bookies are A grade *!*!*!*!s who ensure that they will never lose money by limiting and outright banning anyone who wins regularly and encouraging persistent losers. It doesn't help that our Government have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when they discuss sports gambling and look to implement stupid rules that only help to ensure that no one will win on sports gambling in Australia.

Post Thanks / Like

Also on that do we still make money from pokies?