Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: JLT - Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne

Roughie clearly copped a stinger when his knee clunked into Gawn's at the ruck contest.
    No twist, no jar, it wasn't done upon jumping nor landing. In fact he landed on the other leg and his take off was text book.

It was, to my eye with a dozen replays, just a painful knock. He'll be fine.

I remember an intra club I watched early last year or the previous where he looked like he'd done a serious injury, but was fine. He often looks like he's mortally wounded, our Roughie!

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Roughie clearly copped a stinger when his knee clunked into Gawn's at the ruck contest.
    No twist, no jar, it wasn't done upon jumping nor landing. In fact he landed on the other leg and his take off was text book.

It was, to my eye with a dozen replays, just a painful knock. He'll be fine.

I remember an intra club I watched early last year or the previous where he looked like he'd done a serious injury, but was fine. He often looks like he's mortally wounded, our Roughie!
    Yes I was a bit worried there watching at the ground but as you sat Webby I think he will be ok. Good that there was no other major injuries. We need to get through the pre season with a clean bill of health.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Hard to see any of the fringe players forcing their way in on today's form. Easy to see that Melbourne were more advanced than us. Clokey very impressive.
    Yes I so agree B4L. Clokey went about it really well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Had a good feed also at WO today getting some popcorn chicken and chips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Time on ground (TOG) % for each:

Hamilton - 33%
    Jong - 80%
    Dunkley - 68%
    Webb - 65%
    Dale - 55%
    Honeychurch - 37%
    Of those who spent most time on the ground;
    Jong was quiet but had a strong last quarter with some great linking handball.
    Hardly noticed Dunkley. He will need to improve as Crameri has to come in for someone.
    Webb struggled to get into the game. He strikes me as someone who doesn't have a lot of tricks which is a problem as he isn't quick.
    Dale doesn't get a lot of the ball but he's a lovely finisher and has some X factor.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We looked very rusty . Disappointing roughy going down, but hopefully not serious .
    Thought Cloke was the big positive , he looks very keen to prove a point .
    Thought Jong was disappointing, and Adams improved after a dodgy start .
    Lynch is impressive, and if he's defensive side has improved , he'll get games .
    Melbourne looked a lot sharper ( as they should) I reckon the top liners don't go 100% in these games.

9. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The media are running with how impressive Cloke was, and also how happy he looked throughout the game, on the bench smiling and banter with his new team mates and staff. Amazing what a supportive environment and coach can do for a player.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The media are running with how impressive Cloke was, and also how happy he looked throughout the game, on the bench smiling and banter with his new team mates and staff. Amazing what a supportive environment and coach can do for a player.

One thing that worried me about recruiting Clokey. They used to say that you weren't washed up as a full forward until you'd found your way to Footscray.

Nice to see that doesn't seem to be the case. He looked twice the player he has looked over the last two or three years or however long it is since Buckley took over.

Thanks 'pies.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So-so, leaning towards the less impressive side of the equation for that hit out. Signs of the run and dash and dare, the intense tackling etc came in and out of the game. It felt like Melbourne brought a more invested squad into the contest than we did, but 5 mins of our best could undo most of the damage.

Happy with Cloke first up.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    So-so, leaning towards the less impressive side of the equation for that hit out. Signs of the run and dash and dare, the intense tackling etc came in and out of the game. It felt like Melbourne brought a more invested squad into the contest than we did, but 5 mins of our best could undo most of the damage.

Happy with Cloke first up.
    We played Melbourne last year in the preseason match and they looked better than us with a similar result. At the end of the day, just a practise game. We will be better for the hitout.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And have been training a month or so longer than us.
    That is what I meant.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for the result in practice matches. It was a decent hit out against an improving team. I liked the way Cloke split a few packs. He looks comfortable in the RWB. It was great to see Bob running around out there. We didn't see that nimble change of direction he's known for but it will come. Crameri will be better for the run. He got better as the game wore on. I hope Roughy is OK.

We lost to Melbourne last year in the pre-season and ended up premiers. Don't change a single thing
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

18. Likes Eastdog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Caught the last 40 mins of the game. Looked scrappy (from both sides) with lots of bodies around the contest. At times it resembled a rolling maul. Dee's looked sharper and we lacked the ability to really exert pressure on their ball carrier. Going to be a slow start to the year for our guys, but with the quality we have to come back we should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing result last night and there weren't as many positives that I was hoping for.

Many of the players on the fringe of senior selection didn't perform to expectations. Webb, Dunkley, Jong and Dale didn't do enough. Honeychurch and Hamilton didn't get a lot of time. Crameri, Murphy and Adams will be better for the run.

Dahlhaus was the standout and Cloke did better than many of us might have thought. The high possession regulars like Hunter, Daniel and Liberatore didn't disappoint. I'm not sure what to make of Jake Stringer at the moment. He looks good at times but is missing the easy things.

Rougheads injury is a concern and really exposes our lack of depth in the ruck.

Melbourne have plenty of midfield depth now but might lack a bit of quality and of course Hogan could be a great key forward. They'll test a few teams this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We were murdered at centre bounces...Viney is a wrecking ball. Campbell competed well but gave us nothing around the ground.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.