• YES get rid of it

5 33.33%
  • NO I like the bounce it is tradition

7 46.67%
  • I don't care either way

3 20.00%
    Post Thanks / Like

Should the AFL get rid of the Centre Bounce

As much as I hate change, personally, may as well get rid of the bounce all together as the AFEL have changed the rule around the ground and ruined tradition in any case.

What do you think?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should the AFL get rid of the Centre Bounce

Glen Manton raised an interesting point about keeping it with nothing to do with tradition.

A ruckman's judgment comes into play far more with a bounce than a throw up so doing away with the bounce makes the centre ruck contest more of a height competition than a contest of skill and judgment. How does a ruckman who is 2-3 inches shorter than their opponent compete?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Glen Manton raised an interesting point about keeping it with nothing to do with tradition.

A ruckman's judgment comes into play far more with a bounce than a throw up so doing away with the bounce makes the centre ruck contest more of a height competition than a contest of skill and judgment. How does a ruckman who is 2-3 inches shorter than their opponent compete?
    Whilst I agree, then the same should be said about the bounce around the ground. Particularly now that 3rd man up is banned.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whilst I agree, then the same should be said about the bounce around the ground. Particularly now that 3rd man up is banned.
    I thought you knew not to use logic in approaching anything the AFEL do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its utterly pointless and the amount of times an umpire stuffs it up now is rising all the time. I love the bounce but the AFL getting rid of bounces around the ground means that umpires practice the skill less and it is only a matter of time before they just get rid of it completely.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start of each qtr keep the bounce.
    Around the ground during each qtr throw it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Thats what they currently do but you forgot 1 aspect, after each goal.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the variable nature of the bounce, which forces players at the centre stoppage to move and adapt on the fly. As has been suggested, certain types of players will dominate ruck contests (or 'tip off's as they should be renamed!) more, and even recruiting would change if it is removed.

It is an element of the game that helps gives the sport its uniqueness. We hear so much critique from the public, about how rule changes are 'turning the game into basketball' (or insert other sport). Taking away the centre bounces pushes Australian Footy more in that direction, and makes it more unrecognisable from its origins.

Keep the bounce. And lets stop sooking so much when a bounce is brought back due to being unfair. Is our patience and attention span that short that we can't handle the 10 seconds it takes to grab the ball and go again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ruckman can make contact with each other as soon as the ball leaves the umpires hands so it's not a pure height contest as the centre contest will be if the bounce goes.
    There is still an element that is beyond pure height.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Its utterly pointless and the amount of times an umpire stuffs it up now is rising all the time. I love the bounce but the AFL getting rid of bounces around the ground means that umpires practice the skill less and it is only a matter of time before they just get rid of it completely.
    If you watch an old game, the ball would fly off in all sorts of directions regularly - there just wasn't a ruck zone circle like there is today - to highlight how far the ball may bounce either way. Would like to see the footage of a 80s or 90s grand final with the circle like today super-imposed onto the footage - and see how many landed in there. I also think supporters were more accepting of 'the bounce of the ball' and the nature of it not always going your way or 'fair'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    If you watch an old game, the ball would fly off in all sorts of directions regularly - there just wasn't a ruck zone circle like there is today - to highlight how far the ball may bounce either way. Would like to see the footage of a 80s or 90s grand final with the circle like today super-imposed onto the footage - and see how many landed in there. I also think supporters were more accepting of 'the bounce of the ball' and the nature of it not always going your way or 'fair'.
    It is a real shame the AFL got rid of the bounce around the ground, and didn't keep this unique part of our game.

At the time the reason was the umpire was going to throw the ball up quickly so there was no congestion forming around the ball up. (how did that work AFEL) - Another rule changed that was not thought through very much.

Now the bounce is gone around the ground, the Umpires are now saying, well let's get rid out it altogether as there is no point if they don't bounce it around the ground. Which to me is true. I would prefer the bounce was brought back all together, or may as well go with what the umps are saying. Why have two rules for a ball up?

The consequences now of getting rid of the bounce and the 3rd man up, is recruits will be drafted who can't play football, but are tall and can leap high, just like basketball. A whole new rethink, and changing face of the game.

These pricks at AFEL house never learn.

Post Thanks / Like

What other game in the world has the umpires/referees requiring them to perfect a particular skill other than decision-making? It is absurd to think that excellent decision-makers are being lost to the game because they can't execute a perfect bounce. In the modern game, the bounce has assisted in creating so much of the congestion around the ball because umpires spend up to 10 seconds getting themselves ready to bounce the ball after blowing the whistle in the first place.

Having said that, throwing the ball up is only a small part of the solution - it has to be done quickly and not after waiting forever to call the ball-up while 20 players play stacks-on-the-mill. Call a ball-up straight away as soon as 2 players can't get the ball free from a pack rather than waiting 5-10 seconds for another dozen players to clog it up. Also stop giving the midfield superstars (which started with Judd and Ablett 15 years ago) over 720 degrees in the tackle to get rid of the ball - I hate this 'superstar' rule that has festered in the game over the last 15 years. Call them for holding the ball straight away and then we'll see less congestion and packs formed. This isn't new rules - it is simply applying existing rules more effectively.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes Topdog liked this post