Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  40
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 1 2017 - Collingwood V Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I thought the midfield struggle was a genuine concern. We comprehensively lost the clearances (43-25), inside fifties (62-44), contested possessions (161-135) and hitouts (50-25), while rotating a group of maybe 12 players through there. In contrast, Collingwood basically kept the same five or so players in their midfield the whole game, and they dominated. Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams all had a day out. I'm all for the rotating midfield so long as it works to bring more players into the game, but it obviously worked in the opposite way last night, keeping guys like Libba and Bont out of the game for large periods of play.
    I'd like to see us balance the midfield contest a little more but to me it seemed like we set a strategy to capitalise on the ordinariness of the broader Collingwood group, given being short in ruck capacity, sacrificing some midfield control in the process.

One of the benefits of rotating a large number of players through the middle is having midfield quality run, carry and ball use in other areas of the ground. I'm not sure how tangible or measurable the benefits of this might be through traditional indicators.

When we start nearing our peak, and playing against sides with an even spread of talent through the ground we'll have to react to it because they'll be able to capitalise on midfield dominance more effectively.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Got home last night and watched the replay. Cameron Ling said on commentary that he thought it was a mark!!! Incredulous.. I'm tiring of Ling. He must be carrying a hip flask around with him!
    Ling said 'he had enough of it' (the ball for a mark). I thought the rule of marking was that the player needs to have all of it and/or control the ball without any opponent touching it. Being that Cordy got his fist to it, hence why it went straight up. I'm not sure what the fuss is and why a 'special comments' numpty seems to not understand a basic rule.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes chef, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    On Stringer, I thought he looked better in this game than he did for most of last year. The main difference was his attack on the ball and not the hang off the back to get the easy one over the back. If the trend continues he will look a lot better.
    He needs to solve his set shot kicking problem. And it is a problem.

6. Likes GVGjr, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Inclusions were the highlight for me, how good was it seeing Murph at centre half forward ala 06-08?

I thought we were lucky the Pies were soft with their pressure though. We did enough and that's all
    Soft in their pressure? I though the opposite. They were very good in the pressure side of their game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Soft in their pressure? I though the opposite. They were very good in the pressure side of their game.
    Agree.....it was their defensive structure and positioning that let them down.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ling said 'he had enough of it' (the ball for a mark). I thought the rule of marking was that the player needs to have all of it and/or control the ball without any opponent touching it. Being that Cordy got his fist to it, hence why it went straight up. I'm not sure what the fuss is and why a 'special comments' numpty seems to not understand a basic rule.
    Ling is a perfect fit for those Specsavers ads.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Fletcher has gone and turned himself into a really nice kick of the footy too. He's shown glimpses for a while of cementing his place, might be there

Fletch has always shown he is a nice kick. He just needed a bit of confidence in his ability. It was him who kicked that bomb from outside 50 after the siren to get Footscray a home final in 2014. No pressure there at all Fletch but he drilled it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought it was a very good win first up.

Collingwood threw everything at us and we absorbed the pressure well yet again. What a quality side we have become.

Pies seemed to destroy us in the middle so we've got a bit to work on. Its going to take us a little while to hit our straps. Exciting season comibg up.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Fletch has always shown he is a nice kick. He just needed a bit of confidence in his ability. It was him who kicked that bomb from outside 50 after the siren to get Footscray a home final in 2014. No pressure there at all Fletch but he drilled it.
    Yeah he's always been a fantastic field kick for a big man.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah he's always been a fantastic field kick for a big man.
    Didn't play in the finals because he played in the ones the next week
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    He needs to solve his set shot kicking problem. And it is a problem.
    Jake is very good in open play.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Loved hearing the huge cheers when Bob got the footy last night. It is just great to have him back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Got home last night and watched the replay. Cameron Ling said on commentary that he thought it was a mark!!! Incredulous.. I'm tiring of Ling. He must be carrying a hip flask around with him!
    Makes some odd calls. He also thought McDonald-Tipungwuti kicking the ball straight over the boundary line from about 5-10 meters away was him trying to keep it in play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Makes some odd calls. He also thought McDonald-Tipungwuti kicking the ball straight over the boundary line from about 5-10 meters away was him trying to keep it in play.
    Similar call to JJ deliberate last night. Reckon that is a harsh decision when the guy is trying to keep possession and use foot speed to gather.

19. Thanks AndrewP6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Similar call to JJ deliberate last night. Reckon that is a harsh decision when the guy is trying to keep possession and use foot speed to gather.
    Deep down the AFL wants players to hand it to the opposition. It's actually a really weird philosophy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.