Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2017 Game Plan

So after 3 JLT games and last night, is there a new trend/s coming through on how Bevo is improving and/or differing the 2016 game plan that you can see?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 2017 Game Plan

Seems much more Hawthorn-esque. Less numbers at the contest, more rebound generated off half back. I imagine it will evolve into a hybrid style of our grinding, pressurised 2016 plan & this more free flowing one.

We will score much more freely this year.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

As in the small things thread, we seem to be adopting a tapping approach under pressure instead of quick handballing to avoid the over umpiring that Clarkson, Scott and others have made sure would come our way. We can't get penalised for throwing, even if it was sublime quick handballing, if we tap it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I found tonight a fascinating game in the way we structured up and in our avenues to scoring. I don't know if it is a deliberate ploy to concede the clearances and score on the turnover but that aspect of our game was spectacularly successful tonight. We scored 6.4.40 directly from defensive 50 (and it should have been more with the poor misses late), which is well above competition average. Both games had a huge emphasis on quickest possibly delivery into forward 50.

Look forward to seeing how the gameplan develops - hopefully we are ahead of the trends because tonight was absolutely nothing like our 2016 gameplan
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I found tonight a fascinating game in the way we structured up and in our avenues to scoring. I don't know if it is a deliberate ploy to concede the clearances and score on the turnover but that aspect of our game was spectacularly successful tonight. We scored 6.4.40 directly from defensive 50 (and it should have been more with the poor misses late), which is well above competition average. Both games had a huge emphasis on quickest possibly delivery into forward 50.

Look forward to seeing how the gameplan develops - hopefully we are abead of the trends because tonight was absolutely nothing like our 2016 gameplan
    Bevo in his presser mentioned we beat them on the 'turnover-turnover' game tonight (first time I've heard the term). And that their scores from turnovers were bad errors by us, something like an unforced error as opposed to say a forced error. So if we fix that up as an avenue for the opposition to score, and use it to score heavily ourselves, we become the masters of the 'turnover-turnover' game.

Post Thanks / Like

"In Bevo I trust".
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the use of JJ and bob moving forward at times. Really put collingwood under the pump to mark damaging players. Did notice the tap on game. Bont is the master at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So after 3 JLT games and last night, is there a new trend/s coming through on how Bevo is improving and/or differing the 2016 game plan that you can see?
    Do we have one? It seems we trained a number of different scenarios throughout the 2015 and 2016 preseason which paid dividends when we lost Bob and then JJ. We smashed someone in round 1 2015 playing a similar style to now then we lost run off half back and reverted to plan B, the 22 man defence with an emphasis on a F50 lock down. Amusingly Collingwood tried this on Friday night.

I think our game plan is a reflexive beast that moves and growls according to the availability of resources and, to a lesser extent, nature of the opposition.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

are we shit at centre bounces?

Our scoring efficiency was off the charts with the guys lurking for the out the back delivery, but as a result, we were down at least a 12 to 20 stoppages in our forward half. This is a good thing! But I think all those forward half stoppages tend to inflate our contested ball and clearance figures.

we were woeful at winning or defending clearances against the pies, and I wonder if in general, we dont do so well at center bounces because there is more space for the opposition to work in and we dont outnumber them.

there were 27 center bounces - how many did we win? Id be surprised if we got to double figures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bevo in his presser mentioned we beat them on the 'turnover-turnover' game tonight (first time I've heard the term). And that their scores from turnovers were bad errors by us, something like an unforced error as opposed to say a forced error. So if we fix that up as an avenue for the opposition to score, and use it to score heavily ourselves, we become the masters of the 'turnover-turnover' game.
    Resembles more like ice hockey, or slingshot footy perhaps.
    Best time to have an open forward line is on the turnover with a fast break.

Will be interesting to see how it develops.

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    are we shit at centre bounces?

Our scoring efficiency was off the charts with the guys lurking for the out the back delivery, but as a result, we were down at least a 12 to 20 stoppages in our forward half. This is a good thing! But I think all those forward half stoppages tend to inflate our contested ball and clearance figures.

we were woeful at winning or defending clearances against the pies, and I wonder if in general, we dont do so well at center bounces because there is more space for the opposition to work in and we dont outnumber them.

there were 27 center bounces - how many did we win? Id be surprised if we got to double figures.
    We lost the centre clearances 17 to 9. I seem to remember at least 2 Collingwood goals directly from the centre bounce. If we are going to get smashed in the ruck we need to do better at preventing an easy clearance for the opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Shades of Geelong 2011 - smashed in contested ball but scoring from turnovers was off the charts. Interesting strategy that helped them to a flag.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure it was the desired outcome to be beaten so badly at centre stoppages. Tom Boyd is just not an excellent ruckman, and Libba and Bontempelli spent a great deal of time forward. I would be surprised if Bonti and Libba weren't in the centre far more this week, especially now that Bonti should be better for the run.

I doubt Campbell will come in - but I'd probably prefer that he did.

Post Thanks / Like

hrm, I actually did find some stats at afl .com .au

we were third in clearances for 2016 behind GWS and Sydney, but I wonder if werent 1st in clearance differential? (more important than overall numbers)

for center clearances, we were 6th.

So not a huge difference maybe, but what would really tell the story would be centre clearance differential.