Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

All The Small Things - Round 1, Vs Collingwood

Inspired by Blink 182. As the title alludes, it's not things you've learned or bank or anchor worthy things...

Some great long kicking ending in goals. Cordy with a couple of great set up kicks, and Suckling with a crazy great pass.
    I thought Suckers did a few 'tougher' things tonight that last year, he was 50/50 at best at doing.
    Bob's Mark at 50, feigns to kick 40m on his right to hit McLean on the chest, but then kicks 40m on his left to hit McLean on the chest.
    Seems we've adopted tapping the ball instead of lightening quick handballs to avoid over-umpiring hurting us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All The Small Things - Round 1, Vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Inspired by Blink 182. As the title alludes, it's not things you've learned or bank or anchor worthy things...

Seems we've adopted tapping the ball instead of lightening quick handballs to avoid over-umpiring hurting us.
    Will have to watch the replay because it was hard to pick up live. I was expecting a torrent of free kicks against us but I thought the game was relatively well umpired.

Speaking of handballs, has there ever been a better exponent than Bont? That one he did on the wing (to Hunter I think) was like a sleight of hand magic trick.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pickup Bulldogtragic, I noticed the extra ground level taps (recall Crameri twice, possibly Bonti, Hunter, Dahl, Libber) - all of which ended up going to space with a dogs player running onto it or straight to a dogs player. Seemed like a pre-planned strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Will have to watch the replay because it was hard to pick up live. I was expecting a torrent of free kicks against us but I thought the game was relatively well umpired.

Speaking of handballs, has there ever been a better exponent than Bont? That one he did on the wing (to Hunter I think) was like a sleight of hand magic trick.
    Yep, at that I said out loud we're the Western Globe Trotters now. All that was needed to finish it off was a spin off the ball on his finger and then dunk it from between his legs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Great pickup Bulldogtragic, I noticed the extra ground level taps (recall Crameri twice, possibly Bonti, Hunter, Dahl, Libber) - all of which ended up going to space with a dogs player running onto it or straight to a dogs player. Seemed like a pre-planned strategy.
    Yep. It's ironic that what we did last year was execute a skill really, really well so much so that the AFEL would rather the sublime skills be eliminated from the game, replaced by less skilfully tapping a ball. But that's what they want, so I guess we will do it better than anyone else. I'm pretty sure Cloke did it a few times as I recall Brian Taylor saying he'd had a few important touches that the stat sheet won't pick up. But that's going to possibly be our 2017 legacy, players forgoing stats and instincts to collect the ball to better the team. So match committee won't be stat based on traditional stats this year in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. It's ironic that what we did last year was execute a skill really, really well so much so that the AFEL would rather the sublime skills be eliminated from the game, replaced by less skilfully tapping a ball. But that's what they want, so I guess we will do it better than anyone else. I'm pretty sure Cloke did it a few times as I recall Brian Taylor saying he'd had a few important touches that the stat sheet won't pick up. But that's going to possibly be our 2017 legacy, players forgoing stats and instincts to collect the ball to better the team. So match committee won't be stat based on traditional stats this year in particular.
    The Hawks have been masters of the deft tap for years, especially guys like Rioli, Puopolo & Breust. We definitely looked more Hawthorn-esque than we ever have, whether it was by design or circumstance we'll find out.

It'd be funny if the Hawks went all out with a Bulldogs-lite congestion heavy handball game, and the way to beat it is with the very game plan they've been running with for years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a small thing... pretty sure Maclean did not get a head high free!

9. Likes bulldogtragic, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The master of small things is Morris, his blocking, backing into packs, tap ons when he is lying on the ground and just the way he plays is all based on those 1%ers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of Caleb's taps were sublime and showed his awareness that he was about to be tackled. The one that kick started the passage of play which resulted in JJ snapping a goal was a joy to watch.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

12. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The backman stopping Cox marking was amazing . We had no one to compete with him in the air but somehow we stopped him. We always seem to let one forward loose though .. Jenkins last year , Moore and fasolo in previous games . We target the best forward but let the second best have a day out at times.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Cordys spoil. At a critical time in the game and so small even the commentators couldn't see it. Liked his game.
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Cordys spoil. At a critical time in the game and so small even the commentators couldn't see it. Liked his game.
    He is so hard at it. He seems so much stronger in the contest and his tackling and pressure is fantastic. Under rated.

17. Likes chef, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris' body spoils. He is brilliant at it. He hardly gives away free kicks even when he is horribly out of position where a lesser player would impede and give away the free.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    He is so hard at it. He seems so much stronger in the contest and his tackling and pressure is fantastic. Under rated.
    Hard to rate by others because he only played his 12th game last night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    A couple of Caleb's taps were sublime and showed his awareness that he was about to be tackled. The one that kick started the passage of play which resulted in JJ snapping a goal was a joy to watch.
    We just nudged and pushed and toed and kicked the ball from outside the 50 until we had a two on one contest on the edge of the goal square.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.