Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  78
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP thread 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP thread 2017

Did not watch game. Just watched AFL replay of Bugg's punch to Mill's head. Deplorable, disgusting, dangerous. I am gobsmacked and hope the tribunal treat this one with utmost severity. Mums seeing this vision would think twice about letting their children play the game. If Houli got 4 this one is 12 weeks. I recall Shaggy got 10 weeks with uppercut to saint's player. I think Bugg's hit is worse.
    Last edited by josie; 01-07-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typo

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Bugg is slammed. I think there's genuinely a place in the game for annoying scraggers that get under the opposition's skin but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed. He deserves 6 for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Melbourne supporters look at your hero now. He was adored by their wanker supporters after his pathetic Instagram post and his general *!*!*!*! wit antics on the field. Mean while JJ took a barrage of insults from their supporters. Be proud of him douche bags we're pretty happy with a real hero.

images (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Mills went the cheeky elbow, fake tough guy act on a bloke dumb enough to give him what that deserves. Bugg is a fool, but I didn't mind that one. 4 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Mills went the cheeky elbow, fake tough guy act on a bloke dumb enough to give him what that deserves. Bugg is a fool, but I didn't mind that one. 4 weeks.
    What an absolute load of shit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    What an absolute load of shit.
    Exactly, a one punch connecting in the wrong spot can kill. Have a look at the poor surgeon recently at Box Hill hospital. Bugg's punch must have been hard to render some one with concussion.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just surprised Bugg didn't also take a dive once he threw the punch. Nothing will please me more than seeing this bloke rubbed out. The beauty for Melbourne is that his absence will probably improve their side.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

#CowardPunch
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah nah. I'm not a fan of the elbow move either but Buggs punch was ridiculous. Deserves to be rubbed out for 6 weeks easy. he does that in real life and he is charged with assault. Something like that can change peoples lives.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Geez SoS I generally like your opinions but with this one we're miles off.

The age old relic of "What happens on the field should stay on the field" sits in a bygone era and raised by those neanderthals who still don't understand the difference between cowardice/assault and toughness/loveable rogue.

What would the response be from the league, and more importantly from the authorities, if Callum Mills, as a direct result of the incident, seen to millions of viewers last night, suffered a brain haemorrhage and was subsequently pronounced dead? Not at all an unrealistic outcome given all we know today from the effects of a coward punch.

Why is such an action completely ignored by authorities simply because it happens on a playing field involving inflated pig skin and then because its occurring at the highest / elite level of the game?

In this day and age, with all that is known on the extreme danger of being struck by a 'Coward Punch', where innocent lives are taken, I'm confused as to why external authorities do not step in to act and make an appropriate assault charge. This would send a message needed to society that under no circumstances is it acceptable to assault someone and as with last night in such a cowardly and life threatening manner.

As a society are we so naive to accept that a coward punch played out at at the elite level of a sporting game is somehow different in both consequence and intent from it happening at a bar?
    Last edited by Doc26; 01-07-2017 at 01:53 PM.

12. Likes bornadog, Max469, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter charged by MRP

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lachie Hunter has been charged by the Match Review Panel with rough conduct following an incident with West Coast’s Jeremy McGovern on the weekend.

He can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Eagles, the incident was assessed as carless conduct with low impact to the head.

The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Geez SoS I generally like your opinions but with this one we're miles off.

The age old relic of "What happens on the field should stay on the field" sits in a bygone era and raised by those neanderthals who still don't understand the difference between cowardice/assault and toughness/loveable rogue.

What would the response be from the league, and more importantly from the authorities, if Callum Mills, as a direct result of the incident, seen to millions of viewers last night, suffered a brain haemorrhage and was subsequently pronounced dead? Not at all an unrealistic outcome given all we know today from the effects of a coward punch.

Why is such an action completely ignored by authorities simply because it happens on a playing field involving inflated pig skin and then because its occurring at the highest / elite level of the game?

In this day and age, with all that is known on the extreme danger of being struck by a 'Coward Punch', where innocent lives are taken, I'm confused as to why external authorities do not step in to act and make an appropriate assault charge. This would send a message needed to society that under no circumstances is it acceptable to assault someone and as with last night in such a cowardly and life threatening manner.

As a society are we so naive to accept that a coward punch played out at at the elite level of a sporting game is somehow different in both consequence and intent from it happening at a bar?
    I can answer that.

For Police to get involved, one of two things needs to happen:

1) The victim needs to make a statement to Police; or
    2) The assault needs to cause Serious Injury, which the crimes act defines as follows:
    (a) an injury (including the cumulative effect of more than one injury) that— (i) endangers life; or (ii) is substantial and protracted; or (b) the destruction, other than in the course of a medical procedure, of the foetus of a pregnant woman, whether or not the woman suffers any other harm;
    Since neither applies, Police are helpless onlookers.

15. Thanks Doc26, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I can answer that.

For Police to get involved, one of two things needs to happen:

1) The victim needs to make a statement to Police; or
    2) The assault needs to cause Serious Injury, which the crimes act defines as follows:

Since neither applies, Police are helpless onlookers.
    Thanks Westdog, much appreciated.

Way beyond my area of expertise but it is interesting that interpretation of the crimes act might not yet consider a so called coward punch, causing severe concussion or brain haemorrhage, to be a 'serious injury' that might endanger life. It would appear that as a society we haven't moved far enough in how we might punish such actions particularly given how serious the effect of a single concussive event (or hit to the head) has proven to be on one's life.

Who and how is it determined what type of injury might endanger life ?

Noting that it occurred long ago but can anyone recall what brought about Leigh Matthews being charged for his coward punch on Neville Bruns? Did Bruns make a Police statement? I know that Matthews has been vocal in his thoughts on what he views as overstepping boundaries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Thanks Westdog.

Way beyond my area of expertise but it is interesting that interpretation of the crimes act might not yet consider a so called coward punch, causing severe concussion or brain haemorrhage, to be a serious injury that might threaten life. It would appear that as a society we haven't moved far enough in how we might punish such actions particularly given how serious the effect of a single concussive event (or hit to the head) has proven to be on one's life.

Noting that it occurred long ago but do you know what brought about Leigh Matthews being charged for his coward punch on Neville Bruns. Did Bruns make a Police statement?
    NRL celebrate it every State of Origin. Plenty of work to do.

Unless the Summary Offences Act/Crimes Act has changed recently, an 'offence against the person' (ie assault) needs a victim, as opposed to an 'offence against statute' (ie burglary). Without a victim statement generally the court would be unlikely be satisfied of the existence of a victim, and therefore no offence would be proven. I'm pretty sure there's a defence (rarely used) in any event that a player could use to argue it fell within a sporting contest (consented to). Then it's a fight about whether the punch is within the defence. It's a quagmire really, and without a player walking into a police station, making a full statement and reporting a crime, as WD says, the police are sidelined.

Edit: On Bruns/Matthews, the laws may have been different.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 03-07-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Edit
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Thanks Doc26 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to be careful about contextualising this in the same way one would a coward punch on the street. Death from the latter isn't often caused by the blow itself, but rather secondary factors such as those associated with the nervous system or hard surfaces the head strikes afterwards.

Bugg's actions were cowardly, sure, and I think he's a real prick for doing what he did.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.