Re: MRP thread 2017

IS the afl going to appeal ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    IS the afl going to appeal ?
    Why would they?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

MRP will look at Adelaide captain Taylor Walker for Jason Johannisen push

The match review panel is set to scrutinise Adelaide captain Taylor Walker over an apparent shepherd which left Western Bulldogs defender Jason Johannisen nursing a sore head after being knocked into an Adelaide Oval goal post.

Walker was apologetic after bumping Johannisen into the post early in the third quarter of the Crows' thumping win over the Dogs as the ball was sailing through for a Crows major, with no free kick paid against Walker.

As soon as Walker saw Johannisen had collided heavily with the post, the Crow's attention turned to his opponent's wellbeing.

Johannisen was slow to his feet but played out the game, and the Bulldogs said on Saturday that they believed the backman had pulled up OK following the match.
    Walker later told Fox Footy that he hadn't intended to hurt Johannisen.

"I had no intention of pushing him into the goal post," Walker said. "I saw Matt Crouch kick the ball and he tried to pierce it through the goal, so I didn't want him [Johannisen] to touch it.

"I've got his best interests at heart ... I went over to him straight away to check whether he was all right."

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It was another hero act to get into JJ's head the ball was already through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It was another hero act to get into JJ's head the ball was already through.
    Yep ball was at the goal umpire when he made contact. That was no shepherd.

Walker is a "good bloke" though so MRP will come back and find nothing.

As per the Bugg incident, the issue has already been decided by the media who replayed it over and over and constantly agreed with each other that there was nothing in it and it was a shepherd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep ball was at the goal umpire when he made contact. That was no shepherd.

Walker is a "good bloke" though so MRP will come back and find nothing.

As per the Bugg incident, the issue has already been decided by the media who replayed it over and over and constantly agreed with each other that there was nothing in it and it was a shepherd.
    Look I have no doubt he wasn't trying to push him into the post and that part was unintentional, I don't think he should go for it. Just don't give me the spiel you were trying to shepard the ball through. This off the ball shit is getting out of hand with JJ.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look I have no doubt he wasn't trying to push him into the post and that part was unintentional, I don't think he should go for it. Just don't give me the spiel you were trying to shepard the ball through. This off the ball shit is getting out of hand with JJ.
    Even though unintentional, the MRP should still do something about it. Otherwise, any player can push another into the goal posts and say it is unintentional.

Should have been a disallowed goal and a free kick to JJ.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that the push was nothing but intentional. Running at speed towards the post, they're not hard to see, what else could the result have been? I don't know Walker, he may well be a good bloke, but that was a dog act, and he deserves to go. But this is the AFL, a $1500 fine is likely all he'll get.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    MRP will look at Adelaide captain Taylor Walker for Jason Johannisen push

The match review panel is set to scrutinise Adelaide captain Taylor Walker over an apparent shepherd which left Western Bulldogs defender Jason Johannisen nursing a sore head after being knocked into an Adelaide Oval goal post.

Walker was apologetic after bumping Johannisen into the post early in the third quarter of the Crows' thumping win over the Dogs as the ball was sailing through for a Crows major, with no free kick paid against Walker.

As soon as Walker saw Johannisen had collided heavily with the post, the Crow's attention turned to his opponent's wellbeing.

Johannisen was slow to his feet but played out the game, and the Bulldogs said on Saturday that they believed the backman had pulled up OK following the match.
    Walker later told Fox Footy that he hadn't intended to hurt Johannisen.

"I had no intention of pushing him into the goal post," Walker said. "I saw Matt Crouch kick the ball and he tried to pierce it through the goal, so I didn't want him [Johannisen] to touch it.

"I've got his best interests at heart ... I went over to him straight away to check whether he was all right."
    Awww. I feel so sorry for Tex. It's all about him, right? I mean, imagine if, with poor ole Tex, meaning nothing but a friendly little tap, had caused JJ to have a fractured skull or cheekbone or worse? I'll bet lots of mean people wouldn't even understand Tex had JJ's best interests at heart then. They'd be blaming Tex. and he might feel bad!!

Ok, let's get real: This incident had as much potential to do serious injury as coward punches. The tone of this article with its craven excuse for an unnecessary but deliberate act sickens me. We're being softened up with a 'nothing to see here' narrative when this was a dangerous act.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also sure he didn't intend for him to go head first into a post, however his actions caused that. He needs to take the responsibility for it.

As you said it wasn't a shepherd and I agree. It was a deliberate push to try and intimidate. It worked but there should be consequences.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I right in saying that pushing blokes into the fence has attracted weeks in the last few years? Should be no different really. He had the option to use his body to get between JJ and the ball and hold him out or shepherd him legally (side on contact). He chose to smash him and push him off with his hands to send him hurtling forward. There is a duty of care to change your actions based on your surroundings (ie fence) and should be no different here.

Post Thanks / Like

I have very little doubt Walker intended to push JJ into the post. Players know precisely what they are doing when they do these things. It looks like it's happening quickly on TV, on the spot it's happening slowly enough to for a player to make a conscious decision as to what they're doing.

The comment around having his best interests at heart is just crap, and a lead indicator of the attitude and lenience of the AFL to this sort of cowardly behaviour. You can push a player head first into a post after the ball has already gone through the goals, the umpire won't pay a free kick and the AFL will turn a blind eye as long as a good bloke says he's sorry and just had a momentary lapse in concentration.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Very dangerous precedent set if Walker's action is not addressed appropriately by HQ.

He was on anger pills for the night, there to play the tough guy, and his action was consistent with how he was approaching the rest of the game. He was playing on the edge and went too far.

And the most laughable quote that I read from him post match was that he 'had Jason's best interests at heart'.

C'mon.

Do I believe he will get off by the MRP? Absolutely, a fine at best from the MRP.

Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with striking Mitch McGovern, Adelaide Crows, during the first quarter of the Round 16 match between the Western Bulldogs and the Adelaide Crows, played at Adelaide Oval on Friday July 7, 2017.

In summary, as a third classifiable offence this season, he can accept a one-game sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Adelaide Crows Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body. This was a third classifiable offence for the season, and therefore the player is subject to a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Taylor Walker, Adelaide Crows, has been charged with misconduct against Jason Johanissen, Western Bulldogs, during the third quarter of the Round 16 match between the Adelaide Crows and the Western Bulldogs, played at Adelaide Oval on Friday July 7, 2017.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for misconduct was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record with impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Post Thanks / Like

Easton has been extremely undisciplined this year.