Link

EMERGING midfield star Lin Jong says happiness and a desire to reach his football potential triggered his decision to re-sign at the Western Bulldogs.

Jong, 23, was close to best-afield in Friday night’s Grand Final rematch with his position in the premier’s best 22 seemingly assured.

The onballer rebuffed a lucrative contract offer from Collingwood believed to be three years as well as strong interest from Gold Coast last October to sign at Whitten Oval until 2018.

Jong toured the Magpies’ facilities mid-season but then became a permanent feature in coach Luke Beveridge’s midfield before shattering his collarbone in the elimination final.

The Pies have long liked Jong and were likely to rookie-list him in 2011 if the Dogs didn’t pounce first.

Jong clunked three contested marks — more than any Sydney player — and kicked an important goal from 23 disposals in the 23-point victory.

The Bulldogs have been buoyed by Jong’s super pre-season while the popular clubman said he had moved on from the disappointment of missing last year’s AFL premiership.

Jong won the medal for best-afield in Footscray’s premiership and said he made the right call to stay a Bulldog.

“Originally it was more about opportunity and where I thought I could get the best out of myself and where I was most comfortable and happy playing,” Jong told ABC Grandstand.

“At the end my decision was where am I going to be most happy. The decision I made I’m really happy with.”

Jong and Beveridge shared an honest conversation last year where the coach declared he didn’t have a “crystal ball” and couldn’t guarantee Jong would play every week.

But Jong said he backed himself in keep learning from the best at the Bulldogs and to fight his way into the best 22.