Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Article 32: Team of The Century: Defence

Woofers,

Those reading or contributing to the Team of the Century thread, will now be aware we have 7 nominations for 6 defence spots.

Ryan Hargrave, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
    Lindsay Gilbee, Easton Wood, Bob Murphy, Rohan Smith

In keeping with the effort of the posters in the other thread, can you please help ratify this Article 32 Question with some thought, detail or insight. That is which 6 players should be holders of the 6 spots?

You can freely pick on the 6 on the quality of the player, type of defender (I.e. KPD, rebounding, running, third tall etc) or the best 6 as a group. Can you please explain why you think the 6 defenders you select should be the 6 that we run with. The player who doesn't make the 6 can be moved if nominated for an alternative position on the ground, or interchange. But when they're out of the back 6, they're out of the back 6 for good.

If we can't get overwhelming agreement, a poll thread will be needed. So try to be as passionately persuasive as you can be, especially for those who might not have seen the best of the 7 nominated.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Article 32: Team of The Century: Defence

My 6 is this, and I'll explain why:

Murphy Lake Morris
    Smith Wood Gilbee

Hargrave - Interchange

I want a combination of the best players, but also best players in their position. So a full back, centre half back, third tall, flexible defender (big/small) and two running defenders off the half back flank.

Only 17 years in, Brian Lake is our best full back. So he's in. Dale Morris & Easton Wood are the best at covering CHB and third tall.

So my dilemma comes with Hargrave, Smith, Gilbee & Murphy. Rohan Smith brings genuine pace, genuine, pace. Lindsay Gilbee's kicking is about as elite as anyone in our club's history. Bob Murphy is elite off both feet, and has great rebounding tricks. Hargrave when played in the flexible tall/small role became a gun when he didn't have to man big KPFs.

So I go with the elite pace of Smith on one side of the HBF, and the elite kicking of Gilbee off the other HBF. Both can hit the scoreboard too. Hargrave is probably the better defender over Murphy, but Murphy has the ability to also play tall and small, and play the rebounding role off both feet. With Easton Wood being able to intercept in all directions, having Bob running passed on either foot distributing would be ideal with Smith & Gilbee able to be immediate beneficiaries. My concern is its a very attacking defence, but it's got quality across the lines and for only 17 years in, it looks very handy.

B: Bob Murphy - Brian Lake - Dale Morris
    HB: Rohan Smith - Easton Wood - Lindsay Gilbee

Int: Ryan Hargrave
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Murphy, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
    Lindsay Gilbee, Easton Wood, Rohan Smith

I was tempted to name Morris in all positions.

Shaggy is the unlucky omission. He was a fine player and I admired the fact that he played undersized for virtually all of his career, but he comes up short against the others for the following reasons;

- Lake is a clear choice for the key defender role. Despite weekly brain fades, his ability to not only negate his opponent but dominate them was incredible....and had a pretty good record against Buddy.
    - Morris is simply our greatest defender ever due to his versatility, bravery, consistency, and team ethic.
    - Bob is a leader and possesses poise and skill that we have never seen before....a joy to watch.
    - Gilbee was a strong defender but launched attacks with precision kicking and kicked goals as well.
    - Bubba was a true attacking back flanker, whose pace and long kicking carved up opposition.
    - Easton Wood is a freak, the like we have never seen. Courageous, athletic, attacking and a great defender in the vein of Alex Rance.

In my view Shaggy was solid in many areas. A reliable mark, tough despite a wiry frame, a good kick, a great team man. Along with Morris he was a true defender but had the ability to run forward and create attacks. Unlike the others however, I don't think he had a standout attribute that gave him a point of difference.

JJ might be a little unlucky not to get nominated. He is after all the only Norm Smith medallist at our club.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If JJ re-signs at the end of this year I'll be nominating him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    If JJ re-signs at the end of this year I'll be nominating him.
    These Article 32's threads will be fun as more and more players become eligible. Imagine deciding between say Bubba vs JJ! The rucks will be interesting too in the years ahead. A thread where being older probably pays off a little bit to give a really good analytic comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My 6 is this, and I'll explain why:

Murphy Lake Morris
    Smith Wood Gilbee

Hargrave - Interchange

I want a combination of the best players, but also best players in their position. So a full back, centre half back, third tall, flexible defender (big/small) and two running defenders off the half back flank.

Only 17 years in, Brian Lake is our best full back. So he's in. Dale Morris & Easton Wood are the best at covering CHB and third tall.

So my dilemma comes with Hargrave, Smith, Gilbee & Murphy. Rohan Smith brings genuine pace, genuine, pace. Lindsay Gilbee's kicking is about as elite as anyone in our club's history. Bob Murphy is elite off both feet, and has great rebounding tricks. Hargrave when played in the flexible tall/small role became a gun when he didn't have to man big KPFs.

So I go with the elite pace of Smith on one side of the HBF, and the elite kicking of Gilbee off the other HBF. Both can hit the scoreboard too. Hargrave is probably the better defender over Murphy, but Murphy has the ability to also play tall and small, and play the rebounding role off both feet. With Easton Wood being able to intercept in all directions, having Bob running passed on either foot distributing would be ideal with Smith & Gilbee able to be immediate beneficiaries. My concern is its a very attacking defence, but it's got quality across the lines and for only 17 years in, it looks very handy.

B: Bob Murphy - Brian Lake - Dale Morris
    HB: Rohan Smith - Easton Wood - Lindsay Gilbee

Int: Ryan Hargrave
    Well put BT, agree Shaggy to the bench for me as well.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

The player who doesn't make the 6 can be moved if nominated for an alternative position on the ground, or interchange. But when they're out of the back 6, they're out of the back 6 for good
    Not fair on current players e.g. Wood who could elevate themselves to another level in future
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Not fair on current players e.g. Wood who could elevate themselves to another level in future
    I realised Wood after I posted. That's an obvious caveat, so if the player has retiredand they're moved that's it. If they're still playing they can be reviewed at a later date.

Based on two longer responses, Wood will make it in any event.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    He is also not your traditional CHB.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I will go with:

Rohan Smith, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

Ryan Hargrave Vacant Bob Murphy

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what we are trying to do here. Reward the best players or build the best team per position over the past 17 years. Gilbee is probably a better player than Shaggy, certainly more skilled, but looking at that back six there is a shortage of options 190cm and over. Lake is the only monster and Morris (190) and Wood (185) are undersized. Shaggy is by no means a key but he is a very solid third tall and I think his versatility to play tall / small gets him across the line against Gilbee. Added to this is that he is a better defender and has a mongrel streak, which every champion team needs.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It depends on what we are trying to do here. Reward the best players or build the best team per position over the past 17 years. Gilbee is probably a better player than Shaggy, certainly more skilled, but looking at that back six there is a shortage of options 190cm and over. Lake is the only monster and Morris (190) and Wood (185) are undersized. Shaggy is by no means a key but he is a very solid third tall and I think his versatility to play tall / small gets him across the line against Gilbee. Added to this is that he is a better defender and has a mongrel streak, which every champion team needs.
    That is the exact thinking I had when looking at my six. I left CHB vacant at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is the exact thinking I had when looking at my six. I left CHB vacant at this stage.
    Yeah I think ultimately Wood moves from CHB and takes Shaggy's place. Hopefully Adams plays 100 games and continues the upward trend!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's what ever you want to do. I figure the most detailed and persuasive posts like this one will get people to reflect on their memories/thoughts of watching these players. From there it's making a personal position about what the TOOC should be like, albeit only 17% in and in its infancy. Personally, I think you make an excellent good point and I will think about my 6 again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's what ever you want to do. I figure the most detailed and persuasive posts like this one will get people to reflect on their memories/thoughts of watching these players. From there it's making a personal position about what the TOOC should be like, albeit only 17% in and in its infancy. Personally, I think you make an excellent good point and I will think about my 6 again.
    I forgot to mention ultimate team man who stuck up for his mates. Heath Black was running around like a dickhead trying to knock Johno out with an elbow to the head and throwing uppercuts in a scrum, Shaggy sorted him out on behalf of everyone.

17. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post