Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1st half of season 2017 - How are we tracking?

We are 6-4 going into the 2nd half of season 2017. How do woofers think we are tracking?

I pretty satisfied considering the closeness of the competition to be sitting 6-4 and by the end of this round we could remain in 4th position which is where we are aiming to be between 1st and 4th.

We haven't played our best footy yet I believe but yesterday was a good performance which will give us some confidence to get our best back. We have some more players to come in still which will help a lot.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st half of season 2017 - How are we tracking?

Lead 3/4 time Geelong & Freo, should've beaten GWS and probably WCE owing to JK's bad kicking. So we should be higher, but it is what it is,

The run home has a lot of home games, but we've sold two of them away from Etihad and lose after playing in Cairns. So the run home is crucial.

If we can get as much of the list fir and healthy as possible, if we can start to play 4 quarters of our best stuff, then who knows what happens. I'm really hopeful we can do great things, but there's still question marks on our consistency and losing two Etihad games isn't ideal. But let's ride it and see where it takes us again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Back to back is definitely on but it will depend on key players getting/staying fit at the pointy end. If Libba, Roughy & Bont are in peak physical condition come finals, we'll be a very formidable team.

Cloke winding back the clock and providing a real presence in the forward line would also be a huge bonus.

Would have loved one more win but our fate is still largely in our own hands, given the evenness of the competition. Yesterday's signs were positive that the balance and structure is starting to come together, with plenty of positive pressure coming from Footscray.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to believe but at the half way mark we are still a way off playing our best football or at least something close enough to give the competition a hell of a shake again.

Our best is exhilarating and the equal to or better than other sides however that is curbed by the fact that our best football is sporadic and our average football is just about awful to watch. Injuries aside we also haven't settled on what our best side looks like.

Currently on the ladder we have almost mirrored Richmonds for and against for the season and yet in large regard them as pretenders.

We are really well placed but the next 3 games coming back from the bye will shape the season for us. I still like our chances but we need to improve.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We've lost some winnable games but also won some when I thought we were clearly the worse side.

We need to find some more avenues to goal if we're going to give it a shake. We've got two players in the top 50 goal kickers in the comp (Stringer is 17th with 19, Bont is 46th with 12) and only 3 in the top 100 goal kickers (Hunter is our third leading goal kicker with 8 coming in at 92nd).

I don't think our forward line worries sides and against very good ones like Adelaide, I just don't see how we restrict them to a score we can match. Dickson back is obviously going to help but I reckon Boyd has to spend more time forward if we aren't playing another traditional tall forward.

I know we won the flag last year with a just okay front half but we're just not scoring enough at the moment. There's still a fair bit to do.

Post Thanks / Like

7 and 3 would have us on track, the freo loss was disappointing. 8 and 2 would have us flag favourites. We need to beat some highly rated teams as most of ours have been teams outside the current 8.

However, we are 2 games off top and players are returning. If we can find the hunger we should go deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a stat for you. In the last 39 games, we have had one belting in 2015 by 10 plus goals, and one last year by almost 10 goals. The rest of the losses were within 4 goals or less, with many of the losses less than 10 points.

We are very competitive and I can't see why we can't keep being competitive for the rest of the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like to be 7 and 3 . We haven't hit our straps yet, and hopefully yesterday was the start.
    Very tough this year

Post Thanks / Like

Just coming good now. Hope we can continue this form after the bye and string a run of wins together
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Just to state the obvious, we aren't at the half way point of the season yet. Win next game and we are 7-4 at the half way mark and nicely poised, if we lose we are 6-5 and amongst the midfield pack with plenty to do.

Sydney at the SCG - massive game.

Post Thanks / Like

As most have stated another win would've been nice, but considering the footy we have played we are at where we probably deserve to be.

Having a full squad to pick from (or near enough) post bye will be a pleasant change and should lead to an improved performance.. Should be looking to win a minimum of 3 of our next 4 which will set us up nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

A solid B performance so far this year. Feels like we are slowly getting it together.

6-4 with significant games missed to Rough, Morris, Murphy, Stringer and Dickson is a pretty decent return.

Inclusion of Roughy is massive and with Footscray also beating down on some teams things are looking up.

Slightly concerned that we are losing close games this year. Also 1-4 vs teams in the 8.

Next 4 are all very winnable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    A solid B performance so far this year. Feels like we are slowly getting it together.

6-4 with significant games missed to Rough, Morris, Murphy, Stringer and Dickson is a pretty decent return.

Inclusion of Roughy is massive and with Footscray also beating down on some teams things are looking up.

Slightly concerned that we are losing close games this year. Also 1-4 vs teams in the 8.

Next 4 are all very winnable.
    I'm not overly concerned by this. We are certainly capable of beating the best. I don't think that's a question. The question is whether we reach our potential. That seems to come and go throughout games. We lost to GWS by 2 points - a game we should have won but for inaccuracy. We lost to West Coast by 7pts - should have been more but they kick poorly, but we didn't play overly well. Then you have Geelong where we played a half of football and freo where we played zero football.

Not trying to make excuses at all but my point is we know what we can do. The jury is out on if we can consistently do it this year. I'm really hoping the back half of the season we can get going and maintain a healthy list. Our game stands up in finals and perhaps some teams trying to replicate our game style will start to wear out. I still think GWS are flag favourites. Crows will be hard to beat over there but they can be vulnerable with contested football.

Overall 6-4 is pretty good considering we have played pretty poor football. We've seen patches of what we are capable of. If these patches turn into blankets we'll be hard to stop!

15. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    and freo where we played zero football.
    16 points up at 3/4 time and should have gone on with it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I'm not overly concerned by this. We are certainly capable of beating the best. I don't think that's a question. The question is whether we reach our potential. That seems to come and go throughout games. We lost to GWS by 2 points - a game we should have won but for inaccuracy. We lost to West Coast by 7pts - should have been more but they kick poorly, but we didn't play overly well. Then you have Geelong where we played a half of football and freo where we played zero football.

Not trying to make excuses at all but my point is we know what we can do. The jury is out on if we can consistently do it this year. I'm really hoping the back half of the season we can get going and maintain a healthy list. Our game stands up in finals and perhaps some teams trying to replicate our game style will start to wear out. I still think GWS are flag favourites. Crows will be hard to beat over there but they can be vulnerable with contested football.

Overall 6-4 is pretty good considering we have played pretty poor football. We've seen patches of what we are capable of. If these patches turn into blankets we'll be hard to stop!
    Yeah maybe. We are an errant Lindsay Thomas shot at goal and a lucky DOOB against Richmond away from being 4-6 and 13th and that would be shite.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.