Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  65
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: What do we have to do to keep Good Friday Footy?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Actually Ed became president a year after Smorgon. I had been overseas for 7 years and got back in the September of 1998. We (family) were having breakfast at a restaurant in South Yarra called Harvey's and sitting at the next table was Eddie and the proposed new board discussing plans to take over Collingwood. At the time, I didn't know who the hell Eddie was (due to my overseas stint).

The next day (a Monday), Eddie announced his intentions.

I agree, if I was a Collingwood supporter, I would want some changes, 18 plus years in the job is a long time.
    Good name!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do we have to do to keep Good Friday Footy?

It may be an unpopular opinion here however I think it should rotate between 4 clubs. Dogs, Roos, Saints and Blues. Winner stays on unconditionally loser goes to the back of the que. Gives a big incentive to win and stay in the timeslot as a loss would mean a two year hiatus. In this format and in terms of our current position of strength we could effectively stay on as champ for 3 years running until the other clubs catch up. Brings another element to the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    It may be an unpopular opinion here however I think it should rotate between 4 clubs. Dogs, Roos, Saints and Blues. Winner stays on unconditionally loser goes to the back of the que. Gives a big incentive to win and stay in the timeslot as a loss would mean a two year hiatus. In this format and in terms of our current position of strength we could effectively stay on as champ for 3 years running until the other clubs catch up. Brings another element to the game.
    A similar point has been raised here already. I like the round robin idea, but no way would I include Carlton. They get the season opener on a platter.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the idea of a winner stays on comp between us, North and St Kilda (*!*!*!*! Carlron, we don't want to be associated with irrelevant, tragic losers like them and four is one too many for a deal like this).

But I like the idea of just us and North every year better. St Kilda have their block buster in Wellington or wherever it is every year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I am selfish, I only want the same teams each year ie us v North
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On an Al's Highlights clip, Barrett said he expects Dogs v Roos to have the game for another two years at least before a full review by the Sith Lords.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Be nice to have the game as our home game next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs set to play on Good Friday again in 2018

NORTH Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are likely to retain Good Friday football next season with hope growing they can build a traditional blockbuster.

The AFL is conducting a formal review involving the two clubs, broadcasters and the Good Friday Appeal board with early indications the Round 4 thriller was a success.

And the league hasn’t ruled out scheduling a second match next season, which would be played outside Victoria.
    The appeal raised a record $17,605,662 for the Royal Children’s Hospital – up $160,037 on last year – and 42,814 attended the twilight match at Etihad Stadium.

Both clubs are desperate to play again next year and believe they have earned that right.
    “They (the AFL) haven’t given us any formal response,” Dogs chief executive Gary Kent said.
    “But talking to them they are very happy with the crowd and happy with the impact on the Good Friday appeal.

“Obviously we’d like to keep that as a permanent fixture for ourselves and we think we have done everything, and North Melbourne too.

“We put on a great game, we really supported it and TV ratings-wise and crowd-wise and raising money for the Good Friday appeal are all ticks.

“That’s the feedback we’ve had. We haven’t had anything formal as to what will happen next year.”
    Kangas chief executive Carl Dilena labelled the clash a “tremendous success”.

“Along with the Bulldogs, we did everything that was asked and more and the feedback has been fantastic,” Dilena said.
    “Most significantly, we were able to help raise awareness on a national scale for the appeal, and help achieve a record in donations.

“I think it’s definitively something we can build on and turn into an annual blockbuster.”
    AFL fixture boss Travis Auld said the review would conclude “in the coming months” which would dictate next year’s schedule.

“But the signs from the game itself, the amount of money that was raised (and) from the TV audience all indicates it was a success,” Auld said.

“We haven’t extended our thinking beyond this year at the moment.
    “Certainly I couldn’t see another game in Victoria next year and we haven’t thought about beyond that.

“We’ll close that review out before we start thinking about what we might do next year.”
    Kangaroos legend and AFL games record-holder Brent Harvey wants the clubs to grow the match into a marquee blockbuster played at the MCG.

North Melbourne spent 25 years lobbying for Good Friday football and the AFL finally broke with tradition this season, becoming the last major winter code to play on the religious holiday.

This year’s game evolved into a heart-stopper as the Dogs fought back from five goals down to prevail by three points.
    It was decided by the final kick, as Lindsay Thomas’s long-range shot missed in his 200th game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah us!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to Church??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Go to Church??
    Whats that.

Post Thanks / Like

Our home game this time please.

Post Thanks / Like

Channel 7 are reporting the AFL has given Good Friday football to Essendon starting next year.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Channel 7 are reporting the AFL has given Good Friday football to Essendon starting next year.
    Surprised it took three years after Heppell was used in the first year's promo.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFEL is a *!*!*!*!ing disgrace.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.