Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 5, 2017 vs Brisbane Lions

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    It's the same kind of ball movement we had in the regular season last year. Massive inside 50 numbers for little reward
    Score by brute force, get it in constantly and scrap a goal. I really think it's Norf's defence like them or not they have got a good backline. It was a similar affair early last season fortunately this year the 2nd half opened up. Last season it was a snore fest for 4 quarters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Matty Boyd is nearing the cliff. Probably give him one more week but if Bailey Williams has another strong VFL outing, I'd be giving him an opportunity in Boyd's role.
    For the sake of a week, I'd love to see Matt Boyd give his all for Murph's 300th. After that, he's on his own.

On the same basis, would love to see a first gamer run out in this historic match - Lipinski or English depending on needs.

The Bulldogs remain the true romantics of the AFL....
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Out:-
    Cloke

In:-
    Daniel

Cloke out injured, and bringing in Daniel as I feel we need more run and ball use in the forward half. I haven't read the VFL reports in detail yet, but if Daniel isn't quite ready then I'd like to see us bring in Webb.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to better consult the VFL thread, but I wouldn't be bringing in English for this game. Martin would eat him alive.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Need to better consult the VFL thread, but I wouldn't be bringing in English for this game. Martin would eat him alive.
    He will eat Campbell alive in the 2nd half next week if Campbell doesn't get any relief in the ruck. If Boydy and Cloke don't get up, I can't see any option other than to bring English in next week.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He will eat Campbell alive in the 2nd half next week if Campbell doesn't get any relief in the ruck. If Boydy and Cloke don't get up, I can't see any option other than to bring English in next week.
    It's pretty bleak, and we really should have recruited a mature ager on the rookie list. But having seen English in person yesterday walking into the ground, he is just too slight to compete, let alone not get hurt. I don't think there's merit in picking him as he won't win anything, ya know? I'd rather go in Geelong style and not even contest to get the extra number at the stoppage; I think Campbell gets murked by Martin anyway, he's been far and away the best ruck in the game this year.

Hypothetically, if the 3rd man up rule gets canned on Tuesday, could we go in with just Campbell? (I think yes).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It's pretty bleak, and we really should have recruited a mature ager on the rookie list. But having seen English in person yesterday walking into the ground, he is just too slight to compete, let alone not get hurt. I don't think there's merit in picking him as he won't win anything, ya know? I'd rather go in Geelong style and not even contest to get the extra number at the stoppage; I think Campbell gets murked by Martin anyway, he's been far and away the best ruck in the game this year.

Hypothetically, if the 3rd man up rule gets canned on Tuesday, could we go in with just Campbell? (I think yes).
    Is English any skinnier than the likes of Hipwood and Schache? He's probably the same age as them as well, turning 19 later this year.

If English was purely a developing tap ruckman with no footy smarts around the ground, I would agree 100%. But I think he can provide something around the ground and also help out Campbell by chopping him out 5 mins a qtr, which frankly he'll need next week.

If Boyd is fit to play, no English.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's simple, if Tom Boyd and Cloke are both out AND we think English can physically get through an AFL game, he is in.

My doubts are over if he can stand up to the physicality in ruck combined with the running he was to do as he'd be more a flanker than KP.

Post Thanks / Like

Posters are questioning our list management in regards to the ruck. I am not saying it's been perfect but I do not think it's as simple as drafting a mature ruck as a rookie pick.

If we drafted another 1st ruck type, then we would have issues playing them alongside Campbell. Campbell can only play alongside a mobile 2nd ruck type, which is what we are potentially missing next week.

In terms of 2nd ruck/forward support, we recruited/drafted Cloke, English and hyphen guy.

We lost Redpath last year. Roughy, Cloke and Tom Boyd all potentially out next week. That's 4 2nd ruck options out. Having 4 guys in one role injured would test the most perfect list management. English has also just come back from injury. He will keep becoming a more viable option as a 2nd ruck.

11. Likes chef, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Posters are questioning our list management in regards to the ruck. I am not saying it's been perfect but I do not think it's as simple as drafting a mature ruck as a rookie pick.

If we drafted another 1st ruck type, then we would have issues playing them alongside Campbell. Campbell can only play alongside a mobile 2nd ruck type, which is what we are potentially missing next week.

In terms of 2nd ruck/forward support, we recruited/drafted Cloke, English and hyphen guy.

We lost Redpath last year. Roughy, Cloke and Tom Boyd all potentially out next week. That's 4 2nd ruck options out. Having 4 guys in one role injured would test the most perfect list management. English has also just come back from injury. He will keep becoming a more viable option as a 2nd ruck.
    Agreed. It's not as though we haven't addressed the issue previously - we selected the ideal (on paper) prototype developing ruckman as a rookie pick in Goetz last year.

We are just shit out of luck ATM with injuries to one specific size demographic on our list.

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider English only if Cloke is injured. Play him at centre half forward and only take stints in the ruck around the ground......not at centre bounces.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I would consider English only if Cloke is injured. Play him at centre half forward and only take stints in the ruck around the ground......not at centre bounces.
    English IMO is more ready to ruck than play as a KP forward. At least he has the ability to win taps, as a key forward he will get rang dolled and struggle to compete. Also, it is hard to manufacture situations where Campbell is ALWAYS on during centre bounces. He has to take breaks.

If English plays, he rucks whenever Campbell is tired + plays as a flanker type around the ground. At most he is a medium forward in practice atm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Is English any skinnier than the likes of Hipwood and Schache? He's probably the same age as them as well, turning 19 later this year.

If English was purely a developing tap ruckman with no footy smarts around the ground, I would agree 100%. But I think he can provide something around the ground and also help out Campbell by chopping him out 5 mins a qtr, which frankly he'll need next week.

If Boyd is fit to play, no English.
    English turns 20 this year and is 4 months older than Kieran Collins. At 87kg he's 5 kg lighter than Hipwood and 9kg lighter than Schache and yes they are all about the same age. The advantage for Lions boys are that they have been in the system 12 months longer. Everyone overlooked English 2 years back who is a late developer both in a footy and physical sense.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with you on that. We've know for a while that we needed players capable of playing in dual roles so that meant in the last few years we should have been trying to recruit or identify a player or two capable of being a KPP and doing some work in the ruck. Having just Tom Boyd was not enough.
    They didn't need to be great ruckman just capable of taking a decent stint in there especially when you use an early draft selection to draft a long term ruck prospect.

Cloke was never drafted as a back up ruckman but will get forced into the role from time. At his age he does not possess the athleticism required and he can't jump into the contests.
    English and Mullenger-McHugh need time to develop physically.
    Cloke was never guaranteed games and getting someone more suited to balance the list in case of injuries would have just made for healthy competition.
    Not every player on the list need to be capable of playing 22 senior games.

We knew Redpath was going to be a late arrival and there have always been question marks on his shoulder when he is in the ruck. Cloke wasn't in the ruck discussions and Boyd had just a few good games in the ruck and should have always been considered a forward first ruckman second.
    Losing Minson we needed to add some depth or insurance and chose not to.
    We rolled the dice and have some challenges now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    If the temptation to bring English in for Cloke the one thing in his favour is the Brisbane don't have any monster rucks.
    Stefan Martin bullied English in the JLT

Campbell was excellent in being able to play as many minutes in the ruck as he did, we need him to do that again

Cordy to CHF & 2nd ruck
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff