Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I've learned. Round 4 vs North

If you take out one of the worst quarters of all time by Suckling, it was ok. Seriously, it was like he took a Valium.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom was better than he was last week and better in the second half than he was in the first half today I thought.

He was utterly frustrating at times. But today wasn't his worst game. Giventhat he lost lost his main support in Boyd early I thought he battled the game out well and gradually got on top of Pruest's influence around the ground. By the end of the game Goldstein wasn't getting on the end of handball chains and running into open goals either.

Big Tom wasn't Gary Dempsey today but he wasn't Terry de Koning either. We really need Roughead back though to give us that fourth midfielder around the contest. TC isn't ever going to provide that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Tom Libba is struggling and we really need him

2. Clay Smith was basically useless tonight

3. Mclean stepped up in the midfield and had a great game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The emergency umpire No'35 Andre Gianfagna should have got a gig well before the other 3.
    2. Tom Campbell deserves credit for his game today as does Matt Suckling for turning his game around and being effective in the second half.
    3. Once again, Fletcher Roberts is becoming a very assured defender and I am happy for my bakings of him last year to be proven wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I thought Campbell was immense and Suckling had a good second half.
    1. I thought Tom was very solid around the stoppages and grew as the game went on. Probably in our best half dozen given what he was up against in Goldstein and Preuss, with no support after TBoyd's concussion.

2. Given North have snared Higgins and Hrovat off us in consecutive drafts can we try and pry Cunnington from them. Outstanding game from him and would suit our game incredibly well.

3. What was with Easton tonight? Looked out of sorts.

8. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    1. I thought Tom was very solid around the stoppages and grew as the game went on. Probably in our best half dozen given what he was up against in Goldstein and Preuss, with no support after TBoyd's concussion.

2. Given North have snared Higgins and Hrovat off us in consecutive drafts can we try and pry Cunnington from them. Outstanding game from him and would suit our game incredibly well.

3. What was with Easton tonight? Looked out of sorts.
    Have been a wrap for Cunnington for ages. He's a Scott West clone

10. Likes Doc26, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Have been a wrap for Cunnington for ages. He's a Scott West clone
    We can keep our draft picks this year and get Rhylee West next year. He's literally a Scott West son/clone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes lemmon, Twodogs, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Frustrating game but great we found what was required to win
    2. We miss Dickson - his reliable leading, finishing and defensive work
    3. Forward line needs serious thought

Post Thanks / Like

1, I thought that Tom Campbell's second and third efforts following the ruck contest reminded me of Ben Hudson. On a number of occasions he either trapped the ball in, got a handball out, or actually managed to get a kick in himself. Great improvement and effort from him.

2. Without Luke Dahlhaus we would probably be 1-3 rather than 3-1 at this stage.

3. When did random long bombs into the forwards become our preferred method of attack ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

15. Likes Sedat, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If you take out one of the worst quarters of all time by Suckling, it was ok. Seriously, it was like he took a Valium.
    Suckling had a shocking patch for ten minutes but otherwise he was one of the few that looked like making something happen.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

17. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    1, I thought that Tom Campbell's second and third efforts following the ruck contest reminded me of Ben Hudson. On a number of occasions he either trapped the ball in, got a handball out, or actually managed to get a kick in himself. Great improvement and effort from him.

2. Without Luke Dahlhaus we would probably be 1-3 rather than 3-1 at this stage.

3. When did random long bombs into the forwards become our preferred method of attack ?
    Probably 2009 or 10.

And we never looked back despite never having a forward line the suited it.

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. There aren't many things more enjoyable than watching JJ hit the ball at full speed.
    2. Watching The Bont waltz through a defence and kick a goal is one of them.
    3. Jake Stringer can even make 'bunny ears' look cool.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our resilience is still there
    2. The third up rule and the player nominating is an embarrassment
    3. Brad Scott still carries on like a fanboy in the coaches box . It's embarrassing !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'll take a dozen of whatever you've been drinking please.

Sorry, saw it another way. Granted Campbell faced quality opposition today but honestly, he's Minson-lite, without the ability to win physical contests. Gets knocked around and out-positioned far too easily for a bloke his size in his role.

As for Suckers, he's gravy when we're going well and utterly maddening when we're not. That ain't necessarily news tho.
    This is my knock. Look to his credit he put the howlers in the 1st half behind him and was a key to getting the win. I still think he struggles to make best 22 if we're healthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Tom was better than he was last week and better in the second half than he was in the first half today I thought.

He was utterly frustrating at times. But today wasn't his worst game. Giventhat he lost lost his main support in Boyd early I thought he battled the game out well and gradually got on top of Pruest's influence around the ground. By the end of the game Goldstein wasn't getting on the end of handball chains and running into open goals either.

Big Tom wasn't Gary Dempsey today but he wasn't Terry de Koning either. We really need Roughead back though to give us that fourth midfielder around the contest. TC isn't ever going to provide that.
    I can't think of three things, because I'm chortling too much at the Terry de Koning reference. Well played Two Dogs!!! I thought I'd forgotten all about him. But it now all comes back to me... priceless..
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

24. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post