Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  21
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hrovat Draft Compo Watch - Round by Round

I just enjoy seeing North lose and fall down the ladder. Having a vested interest in seeing them finish as low as possible is just gravy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes azabob, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This Round:

Dogs Get Pick 38
    Roos Get Pick 44 (& Hrovat)

Longer with Koby Stevens: Assuming St Kilda finish 10th

Dogs Get Pick 82 (& 11 pick upgrade in 2016)
    ST Kilda Get pick 56 (& Koby Stevens)

So St Kilda get Koby Stevens, for an actual net gain of 15 draft picks. Great trading by them.

So:

Hrovat: net 6 pick upgrade to dogs
    Stevens: net 15 pick downgrade away from dogs
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A look at our net gains and losses from our last trade period leaves me wondering what the hell we were doing?

I'm still dark that we lost Hamling for bugger all. Or at least we should have done better, I'm pissed off about that deal in particular.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This Round:

Dogs Get Pick 38
    Roos Get Pick 44 (& Hrovat)

Longer with Koby Stevens: Assuming St Kilda finish 10th

Dogs Get Pick 82 (& 11 pick upgrade in 2016)
    ST Kilda Get pick 56 (& Koby Stevens)

So St Kilda get Koby Stevens, for an actual net gain of 15 draft picks. Great trading by them.

So:

Hrovat: net 6 pick upgrade to dogs
    We got Lewis Young and only had to give up Kobra and 15 pick downgrade? Bargain!

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought Hrovat was average today at best .

Post Thanks / Like

Factcheck: Misleading

Trading picks 9 & 10 for picks 1 & 50 is not a 32 pick downgrade
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Factcheck: Misleading

Trading picks 9 & 10 for picks 1 & 50 is not a 32 pick downgrade
    Sorry, I don't understand.

We got an 11 pick upgrade for Koby Stevens last year. St Kilda will get a 26 pick upgrade this year. 26 - 11 = 15.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We got an 11 pick upgrade for Koby Stevens last year. St Kilda will get a 26 pick upgrade this year. 26 - 11 = 15.
    I believe his point is that it might technically be a net pick downgrade but that doesn't account for the value of of the picks.

I guess a more extreme example would be trading 2 and 50 for 1 and 100. That's a 1 pick downgrade and an 50 pick upgrade but the value of said upgrade is debatable.

No idea how it applies to the Koby trade though as I don't remember the details

11. Likes bulldogtragic, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I believe his point is that it might technically be a net pick downgrade but that doesn't account for the value of of the picks.

I guess a more extreme example would be trading 2 and 50 for 1 and 100. That's a 1 pick downgrade and an 50 pick upgrade but the value of said upgrade is debatable.

No idea how it applies to the Koby trade though as I don't remember the details
    Ah, thanks. It still doesn't account for the actual trade. We went pick 61 into pick 50 last year. Saints going pick 82 into pick 56 this year.

It's a good trade for the Saints is the take home message, that's all. They gave up a little last year, but picked up a big chunk this year and got the player they wanted while being ahead. Saints will be happy getting pick 7 & pick 56 on top of their notional picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks. It still doesn't account for the actual trade. We went pick 61 into pick 50 last year. Saints going pick 82 into pick 56 this year.

It's a good trade for the Saints is the take home message, that's all. They gave up a little last year, but picked up a big chunk this year and got the player they wanted while being ahead. Saints will be happy getting pick 7 & pick 56 on top of their notional picks.
    Big win for us if the expectation was that Lewis Young would be gone by pick 61. The pick downgrade in this years draft almost means nothing.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Big win for us if the expectation was that Lewis Young would be gone by pick 61. The pick downgrade in this years draft almost means nothing.
    Except the trade was way before draft, and I don't think Young was in the mix until the SA combine. On the bones of the trade they did well. I think it's fine and have no dramas with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    And Stevens doesn't look to be doing anything different to what we've seen in the past. Ping-ponging between the high twenties to the low teens in possessions, kicking the odd goal and (presumably) butchering and hospital hand passing the ball every now and then.

Even with the troubles we've has this year I kind of prefer having a roll of the dice on some of the young guys who seem to be doing OK. So a pick swap doesn't hurt too bad for a depth player

Post Thanks / Like

Would you trade picks 1 & 76 for picks 12 & 50?

Not saying it was a good trade, but maybe talk in terms of draft pick points not net upgrades when the picks are in different positions
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Would you trade picks 1 & 76 for picks 12 & 50?

Not saying it was a good trade, but maybe talk in terms of draft pick points not net upgrades when the picks are in different positions
    I wouldn't do that trade. But that's a deformed narcoleptic mass murdering orange in a discussion about apples. Honestly, I think it's a difference without a distinction in this matter, but here goes:

The Koby Stevens trade is a loss to Western Bulldogs of Koby Stevens and approximately 56 draft points which equates to a late 4th round draft pick. So in draft points, we off loaded Koby for an actual net loss of a late 4th round pick.

18. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Koby Stevens trade is a loss to Western Bulldogs of Koby Stevens and approximately 56 draft points which equates to a late 4th round draft pick. So in draft points, we off loaded Koby for an actual net loss of a late 4th round pick.
    Yep. Based on current ladder positions, ignoring the depth of each draft etc. About 5 ladder spots away from being turned in our favour points wise

It was a last minute trade deal, where we were probably faced with the prospect of either delisting him or getting him where he wanted to be for more opportunities. We can all value Koby more than what we got for him, but he wanted out and that was all that was on the table

Formerly gogriff