Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hrovat Draft Compo Watch - Round by Round

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Round 8: North lose.

Dogs - Get Pick 39
    North - Get Pick 47 (& Hrovat)

8 pick upgrade in the third round.
    Ok, updated.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we've been over this..but jeez we got a raw deal for Hrovat. Unless we win the minor premiership & North end up with the spoon I just struggle to see why we were so accommodating in this deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I know we've been over this..but jeez we got a raw deal for Hrovat. Unless we win the minor premiership & North end up with the spoon I just struggle to see why we were so accommodating in this deal.
    No one else wanted him and even if another club was interested, Hrovat nominated a destination, so what choice did we have? With fringe players, you are really confined by the system. We found a home for a non best-22 player and reinforced the message that we are a club that looks after its players, which will hopefully pay more longer term dividends than haggling over some extra spots in the draft (or forcing him into the pre-season draft).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Bulldog4life, Smads57, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We got more, exchanging fourth rounders too, but we gave that away in the Stevens trade to get an 11 pick upgrade last year.

So right now the longer trade: Brian Lake for Hrovat & Stevens. Hrovat, Stevens & on trading North's 2017 fourth rounder to St Klda for two third round upgrades totalling 19 picks worth over two drafts. So about 10 picks average up the order in third rounds in the 2016 & 2017 drafts. Not great, but the arse end fell out of player values last year at the trade table. We just try to get the best offer on blokes he knew opportunities to play afl footy was else where.

But back to topic, with North dropping another we get a third pick under 40 (based on now). Hopefully the 'good' Melbourne turn up next week and give them a percentage hit so Collingwood can pull ahead of North. I don't like to focus solely on a team losing, but the more North lose the better pick we get, so T&T please root against them every week if possible.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No one else wanted him and even if another club was interested, Hrovat nominated a destination, so what choice did we have? With fringe players, you are really confined by the system. We found a home for a non best-22 player and reinforced the message that we are a club that looks after its players, which will hopefully pay more longer term dividends than haggling over some extra spots in the draft (or forcing him into the pre-season draft).
    To be fair to Hrovat, his manager on trade radio said he'd go either North or Carlton with the dogs to find the best deal. Silvagni doesn't rate trading for non GWS players, so the interest was stronger by North and they did well. But you're right, with the value of these fringe types dropping last year, best to just do the deal build up relationships with other clubs and be seen to do the right thing by the player. As opposed to not trade and then beg Jason Tutt to stay, who then delisted himself to go to Carlton in the PSD...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I'm sure you're right..it just boggles my mind. That the best deal for a guy who was an early 2nd round pick , who was unlucky not to play more for us and who is a walk up start in North's side was a swap of picks.
    I'm amazed other clubs didn't show some interest is all.

Post Thanks / Like

We got more, exchanging fourth rounders too, but we gave that away in the Stevens trade to get an 11 pick upgrade last year.

So right now the longer trade: Brian Lake for Hrovat & Stevens. Hrovat, Stevens & on trading North's 2017 fourth rounder to St Klda for two third round upgrades totalling 19 picks worth over two drafts. So about 10 picks average up the order in third rounds in the 2016 & 2017 drafts. Not great, but the arse end fell out of player values last year at the trade table. We just try to get the best offer on blokes he knew opportunities to play afl footy was else where.

But back to topic, with North dropping another we get a third pick under 40 (based on now). Hopefully the 'good' Melbourne turn up next week and give them a percentage hit so Collingwood can pull ahead of North. I don't like to focus solely on a team losing, but the more North lose the better pick we get, so T&T please root against them every week if possible.
    Funny I always do. Love to see Norf lose. Gotta another reason to now.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feels like a raw deal given our investment of 4 years into him, his struggles with injury to break in, and giving up our pick 21 for him in 2012. At this juncture would appear North's gain for chips which is frustrating as they've also done well out of us with Higgins.

13. Likes lemmon, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Feels like a raw deal given our investment of 4 years into him, his struggles with injury to break in, and giving up our pick 21 for him in 2012. At this juncture would appear North's gain for chips which is frustrating as they've also done well out of us with Higgins.
    At least we got decent FA compo for Higgins. I'm not sure Higgins will be around by the time they next seriously compete though.

I think we might want to question 'best available' which Hrovat was, while the next best KPP was Tim O'Brien who the Hawks took anyway despite the trade.

Post Thanks / Like

At least we got decent FA compo for Higgins. I'm not sure Higgins will be around by the time they next seriously compete though.

I think we might want to question 'best available' which Hrovat was, while the next best KPP was Tim O'Brien who the Hawks took anyway despite the trade.
    Hopefully Lukas Webb can prove to be adequate FA compo for losing Higgins who we decided not to match North's offer given his request to leave for North for a clean start as Hrovat did for a better opportunity.

I'm still a bit disappointed we didn't grab Ben Brown as cheap as he went and who was in our backyard.

In short North are just aggravating me off with their cheap gains not that Hrovat would necessarily be in our best 22 now.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you're right..it just boggles my mind. That the best deal for a guy who was an early 2nd round pick , who was unlucky not to play more for us and who is a walk up start in North's side was a swap of picks.
    I'm amazed other clubs didn't show some interest is all.
    It was a crazy trade period, a lot good players were traded for basically nothing.

It must make valuing players during trade periods so much harder now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Lukas Webb can prove to be adequate FA compo for losing Higgins who we decided not to match North's offer given his request to leave for North for a clean start as Hrovat did for a better opportunity.

I'm still a bit disappointed we didn't grab Ben Brown as cheap as he went and who was in our backyard.

In short North are just aggravating me off with their cheap gains not that Hrovat would necessarily be in our best 22 now.
    History says taking Fuller over Ben Brown, who we really should've had dip at was not the greatest decision. Only Fuller & Hamilton haven't been given a game under Bevo (not last draft of course).

Post Thanks / Like

It is a raw deal but it was either get nothing and annoy him or take this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It was a crazy trade period, a lot good players were traded for basically nothing.

It must make valuing players during trade periods so much harder now.
    True, Hawthorn gave away Mitchell and Lewis for a six pack.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.