Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 4, 2017 vs North Melbourne

This is the round 4, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 4, 2017 vs North Melbourne

B

Tom Campbell - Huge effort virtually solo
    Dahl - Huge effort virtually solo
    Getting 4 points

A

Worst umpiring in recent memory. One team got HTB frees, the other didn't.
    The weak dog for jumping off the ground into Cloke after disposal, possibly breaking ribs. You better get weeks.
    Not a showcase game the AFEL wanted.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Luke Dalhaus - in everything, resilient, never gives up and very talented.
    Tom Campbell - big effort today carrying the ruck solo and did well.
    Clay Smith - 15 tackles and hard at the ball, enough said.

A
    The umpiring was totally bewildering at times.
    The supposedly touched Dogs goal, shades of the GF, absolute BS. If there is doubt surely the attacking team gets the benefit.
    Injuries.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:
    - Dahlhaus is such a pleasure to watch. Not smooth like Bont or flashy like Stringer, but his desire to win every contest is immense. Seeing his love for the club post-GF only strengthened my love for him.
    - said it another thread, but Toby McLean offered plenty. Moved up the ground and was probably the most involved he's been in a match. Used it well, ran hard. Didn't lay a tackle, but otherwise great.
    - I love it when Bob gets the ball on the burst in the middle of the ground. 300 games for him next week, so happy for him.

A:
    - Suckling in the second quarter. Holy hell that was bad, and it's not the first time. His best is clearly in our best 22...but I won't be surprised if he is pushed out by finals again.
    - forward 50 entries. Yes we have Cloke now (maybe not next week), but that doesn't mean an indiscriminate bomb into 50 is the way to attack.
    - Lindsay Thomas getting to 200 games. Seriously?

Post Thanks / Like

B:
    1.Macrae was clean when he needed to be, which was often, in a really poor display of skills from his team mates.
    2. TC, struggling to value his contributions overall but the work load he help up tonight was strong. Courageous game.
    3. Smith's 3rd quarter efforts turned the game up a notch and got us over the line.

A:
    1.Suckling over 3 quarters. Terrible.
    2.Umpiring. Unbelievable how markedly different we are being adjudicated now compared to the past two seasons. Longmire and media have successfully primed things, negating the type of bias champion teams usually receive.
    3. Higgins. Weak dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    B:

3. Higgins. Weak ex dog.

thank god for that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Grinding out a win after travel and short week, plus being a man down for the majority of the night.

Clay Smith- when things aren't going your way, you can still contribute with your attack on the ball and man. 15 tackles is a credit to you.

Dahl- gives everything he has, every week. Does the number 6 proud.

Anchors
    Third man up rule is a farce. Change it, change it now.

Brad Scott- can only imagine him sooking it up big time about the umpiring.

Set shots- poor today.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. Dahl - the Mother of all Goers
    2. Tom Campbell - his 2nd half was manful. He really lifted
    3. We tuffed it out - great for team spirit.

Anchors

1. Our goal kicking. Woeful set shots
    2. Too many handballs to players under the pump
    3. Umpiring was awful. We really got shafted.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Tom Campbell rucked the whole game against two giants and held his own. A heroic effort.
    Suckling had a bad patch but kept us going when there was little support.
    We lifted when all seemed lost and managed to get another win when playing well below our best.

A
    By my reckoning we didn't have one player winning their position in the first half.
    Umpiring. Apparently we are the only team who dispose of the ball incorrectly.
    Cheer squad. Cloke plays his 250th so we face the banner the opposite way when the team runs out so he doesn't even see his caricature and congratulatory message.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

1. Suckling's mark and goal to give us a 3 point win

2. Campbell's rucking for the rest of the game, and even had a scare of his own and having to go off.

3. Robert's and Adams did well with spoiling and one per centers to hold the backline in the big men dept.

Anchors:

1. Poor first half with only two goals - It was embarrassing till the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

2. Our goal kicking - 17 behinds

3. North supporters bagging their team as I was leaving the ground and chuckling in my head.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna give myself a banker for utilising our premiership to shut down a North flog.

McLean gathered possession and said flog shouted 'you're a ducker Toby McLean' to which I replied 'that's premiership player Toby McLean, I don't see too many of them running around for your mob'. Not much you can come back with when the flag card is played.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Gonna give myself a banker for utilising our premiership to shut down a North flog.

McLean gathered possession and said flog shouted 'you're a ducker Toby McLean' to which I replied 'that's premiership player Toby McLean, I don't see too many of them running around for your mob'. Not much you can come back with when the flag card is played.
    Funny Comrade, had a similar experience with dropping the flag line on Twitter during the week, sticking up for a Mark Stevens Tweet.

@Stevo7AFL A lot of Jordan Roughead in the Gawn injury .. big blow.
    @theriddler420 Are you really comparing Jordan Roughhead to Max Gawn
    @Doc26 You're right. One's a proven premiership winning ruckman. The other isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Funny Comrade, had a similar experience dropping the flag line as well on Twitter during the week, sticking up for a Mark Stevens Tweet.
    Gold. We've waited 62 years to wield the flag as a weapon against a legion of footy flogs. I say do it and do it often.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Dahlhaus - Huge game from him. So much spirit and tenacity - did everything he could
    Macrae - so clean, and works so hard for his team mates.
    Bob - Mucked a few things up early - but gave us the run we needed off half back to start playing better footy.

Banchor - Sucking - Worst 26 possession, 2 goal game that you'd ever see. Good on him for responding after a mare of a first half.

Anchors:

T.Boyd - for again dropping a fair dinkum pie, and this time getting knocked out in the process of trying to clean up the mess. Bloody hell.
    M.Boyd - Isn't playing with the same confidence. The way that the team is being thrown around isn't suiting him. If he isn't in defence, then I'm not sure where he is.
    Overuse of handball. Think at times we are trying to be too perfect, and going 2 or 3 handballs too many in a chain.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, 1eyedog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers - Luke Dahlhaus was outstanding
    - Tom Campbell's very gutsy second half
    - the teams overall resilience is outstanding
    Anchors - The contested ball is becoming an issue as are clearances ( better in the second half )
    - M Boyd looked way off the pace today
    - We need a more even contribution . Lot of players not firing