Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The small, quick forward pocket.

Should we be looking at this as an area of the list that needs attention? Nearly all the main decent ones are indigenous:

Cyril Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts, Micahel Wolters, Daniel Rioli, McDonald-Tippenwoddi, Steve Motlop, Nakai Cockatoo, Lindsay Thomas (less his lack of character), Chad Wingard etc.

These types of players tend to add an extra dimension (speed, pressure, X factor etc) to a forward line, but in cut throat finals they don't tend to always be the most reliable. Do we need or want this type, if so, draft or trade?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The small, quick forward pocket.

What I what give for Charlie Cameron.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What I what give for Charlie Cameron.
    What is that? A draft pick, player, huge offer?

Or draft the next CC?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What is that? A draft pick, player, huge offer?

Or draft the next CC?
    I'd happily give up our first which would be mid-late teens.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Cyril Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts, Micahel Wolters, Daniel Rioli, McDonald-Tippenwoddi, Steve Motlop, Nakai Cockatoo, Lindsay Thomas (less his lack of character), Chad Wingard etc.
    Malcolm Lynch, Brennan Stack
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Malcolm Lynch, Brennan Stack
    Josh Hill, Zeph Skinner, Shane Thorne!!

One rated by Dalrymple.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Hill, Zeph Skinner, Shane Thorne!!

One rated by Dalrymple.
    Forgot about the magic man!
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Are we no good at picking this type of player or are we no good at developing them?

Post Thanks / Like

Are we no good at picking this type of player or are we no good at developing them?
    Certainly can't say we've developed them well. I don't think Dalrymple has had a go yet, so we can't use some of those horror picks.

Perhaps more pertinent, why has Dal not drafted one under successive coaches? Is it from the coaches? Does he not rate the type? Has he not had the chance to nab one?

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly can't say we've developed them well. I don't think Dalrymple has had a go yet, so we can't use some of those horror picks.

Perhaps more pertinent, why has Dal not drafted one under successive coaches? Is it from the coaches? Does he not rate the type? Has he not had the chance to nab one?
    We were reportedly very keen on Cedric Cox and may have taken Ben Long if he'd have lasted to our later picks. Would love us to invest in that type this year. We've got the perfect development set up now to support them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd happily give up our first which would be mid-late teens.
    Based on his first half tonight, Adelaide would laugh at us. To have he and Betts, around Walker with support of Perkins and others is a great forwardline - hence they're on track for a 200 point game.

Post Thanks / Like

We were reportedly very keen on Cedric Cox and may have taken Ben Long if he'd have lasted to our later picks. Would love us to invest in that type this year. We've got the perfect development set up now to support them.
    I think we traded to move up the draft order to add one of those guys so this could have been our way of addressing the small and evasive forward pocket type.

I have to say as a supporter it's pretty exciting when you have a dynamic small forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we traded to move up the draft order to add one of those guys so this could have been our way of addressing the small and evasive forward pocket type.

I have to say as a supporter it's pretty exciting when you have a dynamic small forward.
    Anyone on your scouting radar this year G?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone on your scouting radar this year G?
    Haven't seen too much yet. It would be a nice addition though.
    I think if either of those boys were available at our 2nd selection last year we might have grabbed one of them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread tragic

This highlights our current inability to hold the ball in our forward line - we desperately miss Dickson in our forward line but he's not the type of small forward you are referring to

Its funny we don have a traditional crumbing small forward on our list - Bailey Dale might be the closest to having the skill set

Richmond and Essendon have re-jigged their forward lines and teams by adding 2-3 quick smalls