Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The small, quick forward pocket.

How about Gary Ablett in a forward pocket next year, all year?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

SEN reporting we are chasing GA Jnr .. That would be the perfect spot for him nowadays .,forward pocket , but didn't he sook it up the other week because he wasn't in the middle ?
    I imagine he wouldn't cost much at all.
    He obviously wants out with his "I might retire next year" statement.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    SEN reporting we are chasing GA Jnr .. That would be the perfect spot for him nowadays .,forward pocket , but didn't he sook it up the other week because he wasn't in the middle ?
    Forgive me, is that serious that SEN reported that? If so, what's their source?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Yep heard the same thing we are going hard at him. SEN last week stated that it was highly unlikely he would be going to Geelong next year as well. I've thrown it up under its own heading for discussion. Will be interested to get Woof views on this.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been hoping for a few years we add a quick small forward.

Speed in the front half is just about as important now as it is in the back half, and with Dahlhaus being one of our best midfielders, we're seeing JJ and Murph spend time forward, but they're not in the same mould as the type we really need and too valuable down back.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson does a decent job of this, we miss him
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    One of the best small forwards in the AFL and highly underrated by many
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One of the best small forwards in the AFL and highly underrated by many
    I consider him more of a mid sized forward. Who underestimates him? Opposition supporters? I wouldn't say he plays like a Betts, Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Wolters etc. as per the OP.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Dicko is more of a marking mid-sized forward who makes the most of set shots than a run them down who creates and finishes chances with his pace I would have thought. Very good at what he does but a different type to what we are talking about.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dicko is more of a marking mid-sized forward who makes the most of set shots than a run them down who creates and finishes chances with his pace I would have thought. Very good at what he does but a different type to what we are talking about.
    He's more Bruest than Cameron.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's more Bruest than Cameron.
    Exactly. I was trying to think of an example and I could only think of Ken Hunter. The two big problems with him were not many posters would know who he is and he played in the backline, apart from that he was perfect in that they are both Anglos who play(ed) footy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I consider him more of a mid sized forward. Who underestimates him? Opposition supporters? I wouldn't say he plays like a Betts, Rioli, Charlie Cameron, Wolters etc. as per the OP.
    He is not flashy like those guys, but is an opportunist and knows how to hit the scoreboard.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What's Lipinski profile could he play a role or he's not the quick type. On the other hand could Lynch move from defence to the forward line.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is not flashy like those guys, but is an opportunist and knows how to hit the scoreboard.
    He's more than that. He's a gun who avaerages 3 goals per final, despite the lack of credit most commentators give him. Add in Cloke, Boyd, Stringer & Crameri and Dickson will rise to another level getting lesser defenders week in and out.

I'm in two minds on the general issue. A very good Rioli/Betts/Cameron/Walters type would round out our forward mix again, which makes all our other forwards better again. Seems good for balance. But they're not generally the most reliable players in red hot finals, like Gary Rohan.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Cameron is closer to Dahl than Eddie Betts, albeit with a far more damaging kick. He's moving into the midfield while still being super dangerous when pushed inside 50. He's a total stud and our first pick wouldn't be nearly enough for him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -