Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gary Ablett

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Ablett

There's reports we are into him. Last week on SEN it was stated that he will seek a trade to a Victorian club for 2018 and it is unlikely to be Geelong. There was discussion after yesterday's win against Carlton on talk back that we are into him. Others on another thread have it direct from SEN that we are chasing him.

Rumor as thick as water atm but as a discussion point would we be interested in Ablett on two year deal?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett

Pass for me I think he is pass his best and who knows about his durability when his another year older. His early form this year maybe his current form next year if you know what I mean.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Pass- selfish player who doesn't fit our team first mantra.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

4. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would we have said the same of Cloke early 2016? How do we feel about him now? If Ablett nominated us and wanted to come does the potential baggage outweigh the fact that he may kick 70 goals in a forward pocket?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Chasing guys like Cloke and Ablett says we are in the window and want the next two flags and will use them as coaching the ones coming up.
    The other plus is we are getting great players for minimum salary.
    Let's face it when Ablett/Cloke retire they could make great teachers of the game and obviously have huge work ethic to continue a good culture in working hard and a winning frame of mind.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

One more injury away from retirement IMO. Playing out his days like Cooney did
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

On what we know he wouldn't be coming for the right reasons. I'd lean towards a no.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on price completely. He could be a failure, or he could be our Shaun Burgoyne that we play in role but then can throw into the middle when it gets hot in a close game to snatch wins. All that said, his shoulder is a huge problem and he will want a lot of money, being that his contract is $1,000,000+. All that said, if he was a Travis Cloke type trade where we give up nothing and pay very little the risk is mitigated. All that said, I wouldn't bet on him coming despite me starting the 'Operation Get Gary Ablett Jr.' a while back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what price? At his peak one of the best ever. Not sure he has lost it though
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not interested. Never rated him the same way a lot of others do. He does a few things well but he's not really elite at anything.

If his name was Gary Smith not many would rate him in the top ten players they have seen. Pass for me.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He could make it sound like the right reasons with one press conference. Wants to be closer to Torquay, wants to win another premiership and wants to help us do it. I'm 50/50 on it. I see the pros and cons of the posts above.

He could be dynamite in the forward pocket for a year or two and help us win a couple of flags. Is he worth putting up for if it means a better chance of more premierships or have we learnt our lessons with these sorts of trades ala. Akermanis?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He could be dynamite in the forward pocket for a year or two and help us win a couple of flags. Is he worth putting up for if it means a better chance of more premierships or have we learnt our lessons with these sorts of trades ala. Akermanis?
    I don't see Ablett causing havoc with our club or culture, or corrupting the team ethos. I think it would be more a Barry Hall trade, which worked. The AFL & GCS can't afford to let him go as it will look like the captaining abondoing ship. I think they'd rather see him retire than go chasing flags. Even if Ablett & GCS were receptive, Tony Cochrane would want a heap of compo back and Ablett being on $1,000,000+ would need to take a huge pay cut. I just can't see him playing anywhere next year, other than GCS.

Why are we the ones being linked to him, by the way?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't see Ablett causing havoc with our club or culture, or corrupting the team ethos. I think it would be more a Barry Hall trade, which worked. The AFL & GCS can't afford to let him go as it will look like the captaining abondoing ship. I think they'd rather see him retire than go chasing flags. Even if Ablett & GCS were receptive, Tony Cochrane would want a heap of compo back and Ablett being on $1,000,000+ would need to take a huge pay cut. I just can't see him playing anywhere next year, other than GCS.

Why are we the ones being linked to him, by the way?
    Probably the usual way. A journo read about it on WOOF and used the post as an article.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would only be a discussion if he is prepared to fully buy in to the team-first mantra and culture we have created at the kennel. No BS special clauses for him like not taking anti-inflammatory medication, which slowed his shoulder recovery.

I doubt very much that he'd want to take a 300% pay cut next year to play for us, but if he did and wanted to for the right reasons, it would be worth a chat.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Would only be a discussion if he is prepared to fully buy in to the team-first mantra and culture we have created at the kennel. No BS special clauses for him like not taking anti-inflammatory medication, which slowed his shoulder recovery.

I doubt very much that he'd want to take a 300% pay cut next year to play for us, but if he did and wanted to for the right reasons, it would be worth a chat.
    I'm not good at math, but if he took a 100% of $1,000,000 a year pay cut he'd earn nothing?? So a 300% pay cut means he pays us $2,000,000 a year?

19. Likes hujsh, Go_Dogs, ratsmac, Topdog, Greystache liked this post