Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gary Ablett

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Goody eh?

If he can be bothered to try every week. I'd like the Gary Ablet that played last night playing for us. Problem is he brings that other GAJ with him, the one that turns up and plays three games for every one that's like last night. He's a shocker. Walks from contest to contest with his hands on his hips, can't kick the ball properly, shocking tackler, won't run to position, argues with the coaches.

He's poison that other GAJ.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If he can be bothered to try every week. I'd like the Gary Ablet that played last night playing for us. Problem is he brings that other GAJ with him, the one that turns up and plays three games for every one that's like last night. He's a shocker. Walks from contest to contest with his hands on his hips, can't kick the ball properly, shocking tackler, won't run to position, argues with the coaches.

That other GAJ didn't really exist in Geelong, even in his first few years at GCS.

He said he wanted out and GCS rejected the trade. No real great surprise when someone openly states they no longer want to work for a company suddenly has a drop in performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    That other GAJ didn't really exist in Geelong, even in his first few years at GCS.

He said he wanted out and GCS rejected the trade. No real great surprise when someone openly states they no longer want to work for a company suddenly has a drop in performance.

He exists now though, and he's been around for a couple of years. This isn't the first time we've heard about trouble, wasn't he refusing to play at one stage last year? Even though the club doctors had cleared him to play a couple of weeks earlier. What if he signs with us for two years then decides he doesn't like it after six months and drags himself around with the spanked bum face for a year and a half.

Maybe I'd have him on a contract with performance clauses and behaviour provisions but we all know he isn't going to sign one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would he want to come to *us*? Think that will tell much about his headspace and likely performances. Money is not an acceptable reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good last night.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Paying $21 for the Brownlow.... any takers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonofthewest View Post
    Paying $21 for the Brownlow.... any takers?
    Don't think Gold Coast will win enough games.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably only got 3 votes in 6 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

How many of Gary's 290-odd games has he not 'bothered to try in' do you think?

I find the commentary around Gary Ablett having a bad game completely over-blown and laughable. He's one of the best players ever, and is still one of the best in the game right now despite coming off serious injury and missing the second half of last season.

10. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably only got 3 votes in 6 games.
    Likely he would have polled v Hawthorn when he had 36 and 2 goals.
    Likely he would have polled v Carlton when he had 34 and a goal.
    Gets 3 votes on Saturday night.
    Don't think he polls in their loss v the Lions, but he did get votes in some of the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Another magnificent performance on the weekend. Staggering that people thought he may be finished.

Post Thanks / Like

Another magnificent performance on the weekend. Staggering that people thought he may be finished.
    Interesting to know what happen to the rumours we were making a serious play for him. They were around, and then nothing. The last lot of rumours were back to topic onto Geelong (probably pushed by the media/Geelong cheer squad). Although I can't see how they let him go to anyone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

One of the greatest players of all time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

179 disposals in his last 5 games (35.8 per game). Just needed to build up his base a bit after missing a lot of footy, and now is flying again.