Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Making hay while the sun shines.

After the romance of last year, are we as a club and as supporters satisfied with our lot?

Whilst it is always going to be a challenge to win premierships in an era where GWS reaches its potential, I think most dogs supporters were at least expecting to be competing at the pointy end for a number of years. Unfortunately after just one successful year, the hunger appears to have waned significantly. How can that be? Has success come too quickly and "easily" for many of our young players....and what do we need to get the club back on track?

Boyd's deterioration this year is a salutary lesson in how quickly the end can come for older players. The chance that Morris and Murphy will retire at the end of this season seems more likely as a result......and whilst we appear to have some promising replacements (Williams, Webb, Cordy, Adams), it's doubtful if they will reach the same heights. We could be a marginally worse side next year.

What does the club need to do to maximise the chance of sustained success? Do we need to aggressively target free agency....and who should that be? Do we need to aggressively trade....and who of our players should be put on the table? Do we need to turn over some of our coaching staff who aren't getting results? Does our gameplan need to change dramatically? Or should I take a chill pill and put my faith in Bevo to turn things around?

Last year's premiership was a highlight of my life but I want and expect more. We should be more demanding of our club and its players.
    Last edited by always right; 09-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making hay while the sun shines.

We certainly need to be aggressive in trading and FA. We're in desperate need for a speedy mid with skills. We're one paced. Very slow. Would love Josh Kelly.

We also need a key back man. Roberts is limited and we will lose Moz soon. Adams is injury prone and Collins is a fair way off. Missing out on Hurley last year was extremely disappointing, especially with where we sit now. May doesn't look like he'll leave the suns either so we might just have to back our current stock.

A small/medium forward with goal-sense would be great too. Someone who can rove the packs. Motlop was the target last year.

Then there is the ruck. Not sure here because we have Rough and Toyd. But we have English who is the future so all we really need is a decent tap ruckman who is backup to Rough. Campbell would fit the bill if he wasn't slow.

Still a few holes in our list. We've got a great core to work with but we need to go hard this trade season and next to make sure we're well structured to compete when our young guns start peaking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    We should be more demanding of our club and its players.
    Agree, we need to demand more from our players. They are not working hard enough, however, we are exactly at the half way mark and at least two losses short from where we should be and we have 11 games to redeem ourselves. We need 9 wins to make top 4. (which maynot be enough like last year)

I will not be throwing out the baby with the bath water. Agree with the holes in the playing group outlined by BTT above.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Todd Goldstein have any appeal? North may be keen to move him on and he could fill our ruck stocks allowing English time to develop.

Post Thanks / Like

After the romance of last year, are we as a club and as supporters satisfied with our lot?
    No, I'm far from it in fact I'm shitty with some of the effort I've seen. I mentioned in December that one sip from the premiership cup was not enough for me and nothing has changed.
    We have to take advantage of momentum we gained last year. I can easily accept that going back to back is incredibly hard but I won't be quietly accepting less than 100% efforts.

Last year's premiership was a highlight of my life but I want and expect more. We should be more demanding of our club and its players.
    Same here. I keep hearing that we are having a premiership hangover which I believe is code for some players not working as hard as they should and if so, then it's on to the coaches to make an example of one or two of them to sharpen the efforts from the whole group. They are well paid to come to work very hard each week and none of us should accept anything less.

We can still turn this around but the players and more importantly the coaches and selection committee need to start cracking in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In an interview Chris Grant admitted to having a premiership hangover - he said he couldn't focus on his job properly so wondered how the players could

7. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great minds think alike Always Right!

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...=making+shines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore View Post
    In an interview Chris Grant admitted to having a premiership hangover - he said he couldn't focus on his job properly so wondered how the players could
    Peter Gordon said in a recent interview he is satisfied now after the premiership. Terry Wallace said this morning that that sort of thinking pemeates through the Club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Peter Gordon said in a recent interview he is satisfied now after the premiership. Terry Wallace said this morning that that sort of thinking pemeates through the Club.
    Some clubs perhaps, there has been a few dynasties like the Lions, Eagles, Swans and Hawks that would suggest it comes down to the standards being set.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Peter Gordon said in a recent interview he is satisfied now after the premiership.
    Taken out of context I am afraid.

No way the club is satisfied.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Taken out of context I am afraid.

No way the club is satisfied.
    I didn't say the Club is satisfied. Peter said he was. Might have been the word content he said. It was on SEN. No doubt if someone wanted to listen to it it would be easy to find