Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gary Ablett

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm not good at math, but if he took a 100% of $1,000,000 a year pay cut he'd earn nothing?? So a 300% pay cut means he pays us $2,000,000 a year?
    Think you're right

I meant playing for around $300k, so approx. 1/3rd of his contracted $1m salary for next year. All a moot point if he is not prepared to buy into our club and our culture, which is of far more importance.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Think you're right

I meant playing for around $300k, so approx. 1/3rd of his contracted $1m salary for next year. All a moot point if he is not prepared to buy into our club and our culture, which is of far more importance.
    Nah, I prefer him paying us $2,000,000 a year to get that premiership he desperately wants. I think he'll retire after Evans & Cochrane block him on his contract.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Would only be a discussion if he is prepared to fully buy in to the team-first mantra and culture we have created at the kennel. No BS special clauses for him like not taking anti-inflammatory medication, which slowed his shoulder recovery.

I doubt very much that he'd want to take a 300% pay cut next year to play for us, but if he did and wanted to for the right reasons, it would be worth a chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm not good at math, but if he took a 100% of $1,000,000 a year pay cut he'd earn nothing?? So a 300% pay cut means he pays us $2,000,000 a year?
    Think you're right

GAJ taking a 300% pay cut is about as likely to happen as him coming to play for us is anyway so it's not a bad figure.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone likened Stringer to Gary Ablett Snr so maybe he wants to play out the rest of his career with his dad.

6. Likes Twodogs, Dry Rot, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Everyone likened Stringer to Gary Ablett Snr so maybe he wants to play out the rest of his career with his dad.
    There's a meme based on Star Wars in that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you post the link BT please
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Can you post the link BT please
    Sorry, I meant the subject comments could be a meme. If you google afl or Star Wars meme generator, quite a few generator websites will come up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post

That's pretty Freudian.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    One more injury away from retirement IMO. Playing out his days like Cooney did
    Disagree. He is playing at a much better level than Cooney. Would never say never, but price would have to be right.

The way I would look at it would whether hebwoukd be an upgrade on the player he replaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, nah.

I can't see him stepping down off his pedestal and joining the club with a Cloke-like attitude. Just not the right cultural fit for mine.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

SUITORS STARTING TO EMERGE FOR GAZZA

Journalist Tony Sheahan believes that the Western Bulldogs will emerge as a suitor for former Gold Coast skipper Gary Ablett, if they haven’t already.

Ablett who has struck some of his best form in the past two weeks after being heavily criticised following the loss to Greater Western Sydney in Round 2, has been the topic of much discussion – especially in regards to his future intentions beyond this season.

The dual-Brownlow Medallist has been strongly linked with a move back to Geelong, but Sheahan revealed on SEN’s Gladiators of Sport on Saturday night, that the reigning premiers are also interested in obtaining his services.

“The Western Bulldogs are making a play for Gary Ablett,” he stated.

“The Cats, I understand, have offered a quarter of what he’s on at the Gold Coast as a base salary for 2017, to have him come back – which is $400,000 or within the vicinity of.

“But the Western Bulldogs will be making, if they have not already, a huge play for Gary Ablett.”

Ablett still has one year remaining on his current contract and Suns’ chairman Tony Cochrane has vowed recently that he will ensure that the 32-year-old sees that deal out.

“Gary will serve out his contract at the Gold Coast Football Club, which concludes at the end of the 2018 season. What part of that didn’t you understand?” he said.

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One guess who reads WOOF?

Post Thanks / Like

400K?

Rather sure up the likes of JJ IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Stuggling to understand why we would want to recruit Gary Ablett.....unless the club feels he might just be the final piece in the puzzle to get that elusive second premiership.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

19. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's little doubt that Ablett would be an Akermanis-type on roids running around the forward line. He's an alpha male and would tear it up within F50 for a few years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.