Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.
    So some of you will have watched the willy game and some of you may be relying on second hand reports.
    Well..... We have an absolute gun on our hands with Jake.

Allow me a small detour if you will..........

Many years ago I bought a two storey, solid brick house in kensington that had a HUGE structural crack in it. This crack was big enough to put a fist through, and was visible from the street in it's facade. Anyhow....... everyone that came to visit, all my friends and relatives, commented with great concern about the crack. In fact the crack was so bad it went through the entire house, and I often wondered if I'd been a damn fool buying the place. Trucks would thunder over the level crossing in the middle of the night, and I'd jolt out of bed, certain the wall had finally collapsed.

BUT, I had consulted a structural engineer before the purchase, and he had said the thing was much worse than it looked. In his opinion it had stopped moving and you could basically fill it with mortar and not think about it again.

After a while, I came around to the thinking that the crack was not a negative, but a positive. In fact, without the crack, I wouldn't, in a million years ever have been able to afford that house. And I did fill the crack with mortar, and 15 years later, there's no discernible movement. The house was a bargain and an absolute rock solid, once in a lifetime, investment. Tripled in value in 4 years............. and that was just the start.

So..... the parallel is that Jake Stringer's broken leg is a blessing for the dogs.

Man....that guy would be the number 1 pick by a thousand miles if he hadn't broken his leg.

He did it all today. Smashing packs. Big contested one grab marks. Superb leads. breaking tackles, perfect passes to players in position. He had patience, poise, skill, power and aggression in perfect balance.
    In fact, he often spotted up players who weren't even leading, and made them look better by his decision making and disposal. (Looking at you J. Grant).
    When he kicked for goal he just had that beautiful effortless style of a true champion.
    Think Plugger, Dunstall, Brown. And they just sailed through.

I AM GOD DAMN EXCITED.

(Jackson Macrae was probably best on ground today I know, but this rant is about Jake)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tidy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've gotten me excited!!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep a lid on it lads! ( by the way, I love your enthusiasm and the metaphor Dancing Dougy )
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Keep a lid on it lads! ( by the way, I love your enthusiasm and the metaphor Dancing Dougy )
    Bugger it, just this once, blow that lid sky high boys

Post Thanks / Like

Great post DD

I just urge one thing, patience young padawan.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha love it DD...but lets all just be calm

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the replay of the first three quarters. He's not ready for AFL yet, wouldn't last two quarters. Showed a nice glimpse of what's in store though.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Great post DD, enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see Stringer doing the same at AFL level soon.

Dog54 Guest

I think his fitness is not quite there yet, although he should be considered as a sub as he is definitely an impact player
    Last edited by GVGjr; 14-04-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Some typos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog54 View Post
    I think his fitness is not quite there yet, although he should be considered as a sub as he is definitely an impact player
    It's tempting but I wouldn't, the sub may be needed to play the whole game if someone goes down early. He can only play for 5 minutes at a time at the moment.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

We really don't need to rush him. He's still working back from a hugely traumatic injury. Let him play consistent VFL footy and get his fitness up. The risk of rushing him is way too high. In 5 years nobody will care that he had to wait. Patience people...
    He did look great though.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    We really don't need to rush him. He's still working back from a hugely traumatic injury. Let him play consistent VFL footy and get his fitness up. The risk of rushing him is way too high. In 5 years nobody will care that he had to wait. Patience people...
    He did look great though.
    Just as long as he doesn't have to wait 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Dancin Dougy: your words confirm my suspicions as to his ability. There must be a few in the senior side looking over their shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

He will take time, but by god he will be worth the wait.

Buddy & Pendles were both pick 5 in their drafts
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers