Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn List Manager - Hypothetical

Are my calculations right. Is this what they gave up for Jaeger?

Picks 23, 36, 48, 66, and 70 plus this year's 1st rounder

Post Thanks / Like

If you were Hawthorn would you consider trading Cyril? Cyril's a cherry on top type of player but there ain't a lot of cake holding him up ATM and it's only getting worse from here on in. For Cyril you're getting top chips for a (admittedly the best) role player who's talents are best to a top team.

Or will Hawthorn back themselves to have a quick bounce back into premiership contention so they won't be entertaining offers for everybody?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

2016: Pick 23 & 36 (St Kilda), Pick 10 (GCS), Picks 48, 66 & 70 (Carlton) - (Lewis = 48 & 66) (Hill = 23) (Mitchell = 52, 70 & 80)
    2017: First Rounder (St Kilda), Second Rounder (GCS) - Incoming GWS Second Rounder

The short answer. A LOT!

If they finish say 14th:

2016: Pick 10, 23, 36 (Losing Hill in the process, while Lewis & Mitchell combine to 2017 second rounder, circa pick 40)
    2017: Pick 5 & 23
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It is more complicated than that. I need to find the details.

Edit: see BT explanation above
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    2016: Pick 23 & 36 (St Kilda), Pick 10 (GCS), Picks 48, 66 & 70 (Carlton)
    2017: First Rounder (St Kilda), Second Rounder (GCS)

More coming
    So from what I saw they gave up 23, 36 and 2017 first rounder for pick 10 and 68 (Saints)
    Gave up 48, 66 and 70 for 2017 second rounder (Carlton)

Then they sent what they received to GC

Post Thanks / Like

2016: Pick 23 & 36 (St Kilda), Pick 10 (GCS), Picks 48, 66 & 70 (Carlton) - (Lewis = 48 & 66) (Hill = 23) (Mitchell = 52, 70 & 80)
    2017: First Rounder (St Kilda), Second Rounder (GCS) - Incoming GWS Second Rounder

The short answer. A LOT!

If they finish say 14th:

2016: Pick 10, 23, 36 (Losing Hill in the process, while Lewis & Mitchell combine to 2017 second rounder, circa pick 40)
    So from what I saw they gave up 23, 36 and 2017 first rounder for pick 10 and 68 (Saints)
    Gave up 48, 66 and 70 for 2017 second rounder (Carlton)

Then they sent what they received to GC
    Updated the spread TD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The short answer. A LOT!

If they finish say 14th:

It must have taken quite a session to come up with that little lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It must have taken quite a session to come up with that little lot.
    Yep, and in Tom Mitchell too. It might be the wrong thread, but it highlights the risk of trading future picks.

Treloar = Gun = 2015 Pick 7 & 2016 Pick 8

O'Meara = Gun if fit = 2016 Pick 10 & 2017 Pick 5* & Pick 23*

* If Hawthorn finish 14th

That's makes an ageing, injury concerned Gryphone & Pick 6 (in one year) for Tom Boyd look cheap. It's a huge risk/reward this future trading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If you were Hawthorn would you consider trading Cyril? Cyril's a cherry on top type of player but there ain't a lot of cake holding him up ATM and it's only getting worse from here on in. For Cyril you're getting top chips for a (admittedly the best) role player who's talents are best to a top team.
    In this hypothetical Rioli is off limits
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In this hypothetical Rioli is off limits
    Fair enough. I'd have him on the table though for a team willing to be as silly with their picks as Hawthorn were last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Put simply, they'll need to trade one of their guns I.e Cyril, to get back in the draft .

Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough assignment because you need to be mindful of any further trading having a negative impact on the playing group and the impact it could have on the 'destination club' tag. For these reasons, I'd steer clear of trading players for picks unless a specific player put their hand up and wanted to move on in preference to being part of a 'list refresh'.

The outs will include Burgoyne and Gibson, however I'd look to keep Hodge for another year subject to his form. No idea about the other delistees as I haven't seen enough of Hawthorn, but I'd be looking at 6 changes to the senior list in total. I'd prioritise the coach looking to get games into as many of the 20-23 year old group who have played less than 20 games so we can get a gauge on where they sit and whether they may be a part of the tilt. There's a big group in this age bracket.

I'd be having serious conversations with Fyfe, Martin. Both of those players could be a difference maker to the midfield and enough to turn the tide given there's actually still some quality on the list.

2018 would be the year to hit the draft, so if any players wanted out this year, I'd be looking for opportunities to get in future picks (which for some reason sides appear to be more generous with) and really let the club make a pig of itself inside the first 30 picks. Getting key position players and midfielders (inside-out mids and those who can run) would be the priority through the draft in 2018, as with the picks available in 2017 some developing players and those capable off the flanks would be more attainable (I'm thinking something like our 2014 draft for 2017).

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much hypothetical anymore, man the stations, it's a crisis. As on this round they're giving up pick 1, 2 or 3. And the GWS second rounder, factoring in compo and bidding etc, could be near pick 40 as Hawthorn's first selection.

Time to start shopping some Hawthorn guns on the markets quietly through player managers, and well placed whispers. I'm still thinking of Gunston if Adams stays, Morris continues & Collins improves to go with Roberts, Cordy, Wood and last year's talls who may play back (Young).

We are good for defenders if above happens, HBFs even with retirements, inside mids, rucks if Boyd is second pinch hitter next year, mid forwards. I don't see us landing a gun midfielder, small forwards don't seem our thing, so a dynamic proven tall goal kicker with much premiership success sounds good to me - He's got 12.7 in four Grand Finals (nearly 3.2 per GF) & 32.16 in all 13 finals (generating nearly 4 scoring shots a game). Seems ideal for a team in their window who want a proven goal scorer in big finals.

F: Dicko Boyd/Roughy Gunston
    HF: Crameri Cloke Stringer/Bonts/Picken/McLean

That's the type of forwardline mix he's been elite in. For us, it also covers for injury, transition when Cloke & Crameri retire and great depth (could've done with him last night - And has a career goal accuracy rate around 65%, again would like that last night and in general). Currently on $650,000 a year, with four years left. We had apparently $800,000 for Hurley for 5 years, built in with re-signing our kids. 4 years at $800,000 is an attractive offer to him, and picks for Hawthorn and salary cap to land either Martin or Fyfe.