Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tigers are roaring again

Tiger fans are roaring again, with their team undefeated and with a soft 2017 draw.

Are they the real deal this year and will make the finals?

Or are they only April Premiers, and fool's gold yet again?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tigers are roaring again

Man, are journos and footy fans being serious with this? I haven't watched them a great deal I'll be honest but I can't see how they've improved from a uber-crap team last year to a finals bound one without major injections of talent?

IMO, they're a worse version of North Melbourne v2016. Propped up by a soft draw and a good injury run to start the year.

Will not make finals or if they do, will bomb out first week.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll let you know in a month but I suspect they will fall away badly. I still don't think they look great and have beaten no one.

But 4-0 is 4-0 so got to give them a little respect for the start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'll let you know in a month but I suspect they will fall away badly. I still don't think they look great and have beaten no one.

But 4-0 is 4-0 so got to give them a little respect for the start.

This. We can downplay it all we like (and I think it's a bit of a rubbery figure) but the fact is they are 4-0. But give them a month or so and make a call then.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

4-0 is a great start this day and age no matter who you are! They have had a piss easy draw but a win is a win. We'll get a genuine feel by about round 8 or 9 I reckon with the tiges. Confidence mixed with momentum is an amazing thing. And when their ferals find some voice they can generate an intimidating atmosphere.
    Last edited by ratsmac; 21-04-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they will make the finals. True they've had a soft draw so far - but they can't do much more than beat the teams they've come up against, and the 4-0 (possibly 5-0) start means they will be hard to toss for a finals spot. I think they'll drop a bit and finish 7th or 8th.

I don't have a big problem with Richmond - they've never been remotely successful in my lifetime, and haven't ever really had cause to hate them - and unlike what we have seen from Carlton and Essendon (and will see from Hawthorn) their supporters don't drop off despite a spectacularly unsuccessful 36 year period.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are going well and good on them . At least they haven't cheated and they have served a long time without success , must say my favourite grand final I had seen before last year was when they beat the pies in 1980 and our bulldog supporting KB ran havoc.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

They've had a few players step up. Martin's gone to another level, Rioli and Castagna are doing good things up forward. Won't stay top 4 but could make finals
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate the incessant need to rate teams after four to six weeks. The competition takes time to sort itself out over six to twelve rounds depending on the year, the media just need to churn anything into a pantomime before it does and it's tiring.

They've had a good start, let's see them cope with a few injuries and decent competition.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    They've had a few players step up. Martin's gone to another level, Rioli and Castagna are doing good things up forward. Won't stay top 4 but could make finals

I've seen a bit of them and I think you've called this accurately. There has certainly been some improvement despite the favorable draw. I don't think they can maintain things but the next month will provide a more accurate position.

I work with a number of Richmond fans and they've been very quiet about their start. They don't quite have the faith yet.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Man, are journos and footy fans being serious with this? I haven't watched them a great deal I'll be honest but I can't see how they've improved from a uber-crap team last year to a finals bound one without major injections of talent?

IMO, they're a worse version of North Melbourne v2016. Propped up by a soft draw and a good injury run to start the year.

Will not make finals or if they do, will bomb out first week.
    Game plan has changed significantly from the last few years and they have much better depth in the midfield, allowing them the luxury of playing the likes of Martin forward of centre. Their VFL team is full of players that were fixtures in the senior team over the last few years but aren't getting a game now due to lack of pace and the change to much quicker ball movement.

I don't think they are true contenders this year but they have certainly traded and drafted well in the off-season. They made out like bandits for Deledio.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I really hate the incessant need to rate teams after four to six weeks. The competition takes time to sort itself out over six to twelve rounds depending on the year, the media just need to churn anything into a pantomime before it does and it's tiring.

They've had a good start, let's see them cope with a few injuries and decent competition.
    I am with you on that. How many articles have we seen about us and how we are losing clearances and the men of mayhem has disappeared, blah blah blah. It is a long season and there is alot out there still to play before the ladder sorts it self out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Good start, get back to me in 10 weeks .

Post Thanks / Like

Great second half tonight.

Tigers building credibility.

Young Rioli is terrific. What draft pick was he?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Great second half tonight.

Tigers building credibility.

Young Rioli is terrific. What draft pick was he?
    Pick 15 from memory.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite