Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  28
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I've learned-round 5 v Brisbane

2/ Matt Suckling thinks he has all the time in the world when he is in possession.
    At one stage he picked the ball up and just stood there. I had time to say "kick it, kick it. Oh for gods sake kick the bloody thing" before he was run down.

He Just stood there like a tourist looking at gawping at a tourist attraction.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Love the way Jong gets the footy. Cannot kick or handball. (Jong 20 possessions or Caleb 20 possessions?)I feel Lin is not in our best side.

2. Cordy gets better every week and has just enough mongrel.

3. Williams must come in this week. Boyd is getting slower and Biggs is terrible atm.

3. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you kick 5 goals 13 behinds under the roof teams will punish you.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you watch Boyd closely you can see a big difference in his marking ability and potentially technique when he is in the backline/wing vs when he is in the forward line. As a forward he pretty much takes 2 touches all the time, around the ground he is pretty strong at it and generally clunks them.

I honestly think it is just a matter of confidence for him. I'm still super excited to have him as a forward and think he will start dominating in about 15-20 games.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Loved Zaine Cordy's game. Attacks every contest hard and his field kicking, looks ugly but it's effective.

2. Macrae is a workhorse - has he ever played a bad game? He was in everything but not easily noticeable.

3. Murphy at this stage of his career is better forward than back, which suits us with 87 HBFers on our list
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think if you watch Boyd closely you can see a big difference in his marking ability and potentially technique when he is in the backline/wing vs when he is in the forward line. As a forward he pretty much takes 2 touches all the time, around the ground he is pretty strong at it and generally clunks them.

I honestly think it is just a matter of confidence for him. I'm still super excited to have him as a forward and think he will start dominating in about 15-20 games.
    There was a contest late in the game where he had the sit, just need to make a little body contact on Andrews and he could have taken an easy mark. He didn't and went the soft option, I was livid. Boyd was poor on the weekend.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There was a contest late in the game where he had the sit, just need to make a little body contact on Andrews and he could have taken an easy mark. He didn't and went the soft option, I was livid. Boyd was poor on the weekend.
    Didnt get to see any of the game, havent even seen 1 second of play so mine was a very general comment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'll update this as I go:

Tom Boyd (pick 1) (traded young): 43 games, 40 goals, 23 behinds
    Josh Kennedy (pick 4) (traded young): At 43 games, 46 goals, 26 behinds
    Tom Hawkins (would've been top 10): At 43 games, 59 goals, 32 behinds with a gun midfield and a heap of forward support
    Nick Riewoldt (pick 1): At 43 games, 44 goals, 30 behinds
    Jack Riewoldt (pick 11): At 43 games, 53 goals, 31 behinds
    Jon Patton (pick 1): At 43 games, 48 goals, 32 behinds
    Matthew Pavlich (pick 4): At 43 games (as a forward), 44 goals, 26 behinds
    Jono Brown (would've been a top 10): At 43 games, 43 goals, 26 behinds
    Travis Cloke (would've been a top 10): At 43 games, 34 goals, 40 behinds

Jarrad Waite: At 43 games, 37 goals, 37 behinds

So far Tom Boyd isn't all that bad as a KPF. In fact, one could argue he deserves to be mentioned in this group elite KPF players based on comparative output. I'm not sure those numbers convince me that Boyd can't continue to develop and improve as a key forward, probably the opposite.
    This is a fair comparison considering he has spend half his time in the ruck. Not many on that list spend much time if any in the ruck. This said one could say his out put is way better than the rest as they had twice as much time to get these numbers

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On a side note Toms hands are to flat when he goes for a mark. Needs to turn them in 20 degrees and he will hold a lot more. How many coaches do you need to teach this

13. Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    This is a fair comparison considering he has spend half his time in the ruck. Not many on that list spend much time if any in the ruck. This said one could say his out put is way better than the rest as they had twice as much time to get these numbers
    This one could also point out the gushing by Lingy in the GF commentary about Boyd being like Hawkin's 'coming out party'. One could also point out Boyd did it in half as many games, 2 years younger, time in the ruck and not the absolute cream midfield Geelong had for that GF.

The same one could also say if he's output to date isn't good enough for continued development as a KPF, then we may never ever see a KPF if we have to give up on him as a KPF. He's always going to be an ok ruck because he's over 200cm and 100kg. Boyd said of his speccy against Sydney that he used to do them as a junior, but the rucking makes his legs heavy. Based on the comparisons, we should be wanting to keep developing and improving him as a KPF, this 21yo big KPF with only 43 games experience.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Actually Tom and Liam's marking techniques aren't dissimilar
    With one subtle difference; whilst at times Tom sticks his hands out and hopes the ball falls into them, Liam attempts to execute the same technique using only his chest and forehead.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1-My nerves when Fletcher Roberts has the ball are slowly dissapating.
    2-Suckling seems to have no peripheral vision.
    3-We never ever look out of a game no matter what the margin is.We just keep coming and coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    3-We never ever look out of a game no matter what the margin is.We just keep coming and coming.

In 2017 Dogs...
    - Trailed Sydney by 23 -WON
    - Trailed NM by 29 -WON
    - Trailed Brisbane by 38 -WON
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In 2017 Dogs...
    - Trailed Sydney by 23 -WON
    - Trailed NM by 29 -WON
    - Trailed Brisbane by 38 -WON
    That reminds me of how Hawthorn started last year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That reminds me of how Hawthorn started last year.
    How did it finish up for them?

I think we are all a little intrigued by where we sit in the food chain... I guess we will find out in due course.