Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All The Small Things, Round 5, Vs Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    When play was near the boundary, can't recall what 1/4, a Brisbane player with the ball and a young kid decked in bulldogs gear leaning well over the fence giving him that "bent elbow" gesture (what's the right term for it ?). Anyway, when there is a remake of Romper Stomper that kid gets a gig.
    It's a Don't Argue. Mark Kellet may not have invented it but he was the first player I saw who perfected it enough to turn it into a part of his game.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringers new found leg cannon. He kicked his running goal at the line of the square and carried at least 10m passed. That's a 70m drop punt!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Who would you choose to kick for you life, 60m out on the run: JJ or Stringer?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Who would you choose to kick for you life, 60m out on the run: JJ or Stringer?
    Stringer.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Stringers new found leg cannon. He kicked his running goal at the line of the square and carried at least 10m passed. That's a 70m drop punt!!
    It's great to watch. Such a weapon for when you really want a quick goal to follow up the ine you've just kicked. Get Stringer into the centre bounce, clear a path and get the ball in his hands. Then just stand back and watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's great to watch. Such a weapon for when you really want a quick goal to follow up the ine you've just kicked. Get Stringer into the centre bounce, clear a path and get the ball in his hands. Then just stand back and watch.
    It a tad different to watching Farren Ray & Jordan McMahon bursting into the 50 to spray it into the crowd in the forward pocket.

I really didn't realise he was equal with Suckling for the longest kick in the team. Kicking goals from inside the centre square and getting it 10 rows back is phenomenally long. And we've got two of them. Maybe that stupid 9 point thing should come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Our trainer yelling out and pointing to the umpire that the Brisbane trainer ran through Bob's protected zone, getting a 50m penalty and certain goal. It's not often you can say a trainer was directly responsible for a goal.
    There is clearly no 'trainers code' !

8. Likes bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Early in the third quarter, we absolutely couldn't afford to give up a goal.
    Stringer kicked in Dunkley's direction and Dunks had one player on his hammer, and another Brisbane player nearby - looking up at the field, if he doesn't mark, Brisbane would have opened us up easily. Dunks holds the mark under great pressure.
    Sounds ridiculous - but it was a mark 70m out from our goal, which probably prevented a goal the other way.

2. JJ's little toe poke in the last quarter that started an end to end goal.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    There is clearly no 'trainers code' !
    I've watched that clip a few times, it's as if their trainer had never watched an AFL game ever. It's up there with the dumbest thing I've seen on field. Not just near his 10m protected zone, but through the middle of the mark... I mean, thanks for gifting Bob a goal, but it's easily the dumbest thing I can remember in recent memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    1. Early in the third quarter, we absolutely couldn't afford to give up a goal.
    Stringer kicked in Dunkley's direction and Dunks had one player on his hammer, and another Brisbane player nearby - looking up at the field, if he doesn't mark, Brisbane would have opened us up easily. Dunks holds the mark under great pressure.
    Sounds ridiculous - but it was a mark 70m out from our goal, which probably prevented a goal the other way.

2. JJ's little toe poke in the last quarter that started an end to end goal.
    Great call on point two. I had a flash back to the prelim when he did that. I love when the little things go our way.

Post Thanks / Like

Flethcher Roberts (I think) staying alert enough to get a hand in to smother Beames's handball attempt from the goal square. Saved a certain goal and maintained the momentum we had built to that stage. A Brisbane goal would have knocked the stuffing our of us at that stage I reckon.

It was only one goal in a winning margin of 32 points but games are won and lost in moments and that particular moment could have swung the match back their way. It's the first moment I thought "we've got control back, we can win this"

Post Thanks / Like

Flethcher Roberts (I think) staying alert enough to get a hand in to smother Beames's handball attempt from the goal square. Saved a certain goal and maintained the momentum we had built to that stage. A Brisbane goal would have knocked the stuffing our of us at that stage I reckon.

It was only one goal in a winning margin of 32 points but games are won and lost in moments and that particular moment could have swung the match back their way. It's the first moment I thought "we've got control back, we can win this"
    It was Easton Wood, Adams then smothered the kick.. Roberts wasn't a part of the play.

15. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've watched that clip a few times, it's as if their trainer had never watched an AFL game ever. It's up there with the dumbest thing I've seen on field. Not just near his 10m protected zone, but through the middle of the mark... I mean, thanks for gifting Bob a goal, but it's easily the dumbest thing I can remember in recent memory.
    I'm not sure what the story is with Brisbane and their trainers for interstate games - but I understand (form a mate who works with him) that the trainer that gave away the 50m lives/works in Melbourne. Feel sorry for him.

I think that, a bit like the interchange, you can look at it and go "one off, one on - how hard could it be"....but its a pretty chaotic game, and a lapse in concentration get very very severe penalties.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Don't Argue. Mark Kellet may not have invented it but he was the first player I saw who perfected it enough to turn it into a part of his game.
    Yep, it was a combination of that and "up yours"

Post Thanks / Like

Marcus Adams was the only one who motivated the guys (all of them were heads down and not talking to each other to get the defence set-up right after Brisbane scored few goals in a row) when he went back to the defence.

At one stage, he also ran to Biggs and motivated/told him to get his act together after he got out-marked by Zorko.
    Last edited by choconmientay; 24-04-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

19. Likes boydogs liked this post