Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toby McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby Mclean

Seems like we set up with him behind the ball a few times and used his skills to rebound. It's another string to his bow, particularly when Murph is forward

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-04-...-of-the-prelim

The AFL have just reposted this footage in preparation for tonights game. Worth rewatching just to appreciate TMs 2 massive clearances in the closing 90 seconds (especially the one with 1.20 remaining). For a young player with less than 20 games these were huge moments in what was the biggest game for our club in decades.

3. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Midfield move just the tonic for McLean

THERE weren't too many Bulldogs who could walk tall after last week’s capitulation to Adelaide, but emerging midfielder Toby McLean was an exception.

In a performance coach Luke Beveridge described as one of the team’s worst in his time at the club, McLean, 21, was a shining light on a dark night, collecting a career-high 32 possessions in the 59-point loss.

In his third season at Whitten Oval, he said his recent move into the midfield had allowed him to realise a burning ambition.

“I always felt I was capable of playing in the midfield and the coaches obviously did as well,” McLean told AFL.com.au.

“I thought it was one of my better games, but I’ve still got a lot of improvement to go.

“'Bevo’ just tells me to play on instinct and with lots of energy.

“I’ve been getting a bit more midfield time, and I get to play alongside the likes of (Jack) Macrae, (Marcus) Bontempelli and (Tom) Liberatore in there.

“I feel like those guys make me a better player, but it’s good to be around the ball a bit more and I’m really enjoying it.”

McLean’s capacity to get the balance right between defence and attack would have pleased the coach. He also laid a team-high eight tackles – an aspect of the game he loves.

“I really enjoy tackling blokes, and the more I do that the more I get into the game,” McLean said.

“It helps with my intensity and it complements the offensive side of my game.”

After playing mainly as a high-flying forward during his junior football days, it was only a matter of time until Beveridge injected McLean into the middle to better utilise his excellent agility, sound disposal and an ability to win the contested ball.

But like many of his premiership-winning teammates this season, a drop in form forced the Dandenong Stingrays product to spend time in the VFL to recapture some form.

However, the demotion gave him a chance to showcase his on-ball capabilities and produce a game in which he collected 38 disposals, 11 tackles and a goal against Sandringham during round 10.

He earned a senior recall after that performance, which provided the catalyst for where McLean finds himself in the team.

“I knew I wasn’t playing at my best, the coaches knew that, so I had to go down to Footscray for a few weeks, play as well as I could, and it wasn’t long before I came back up,” he said.

“It always helps going back to the VFL and getting that midfield time. It also helped with my fitness, which was really beneficial.”
    LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Thanks Bulldog4life, jeemak, bornadog, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Raw Toast, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our most improved this year one of the few that hit the ground running

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible how accomplished he has become as a player. Has played 32 career games.

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been very good lately.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Been super impressive and with his good instinct around goal has the potential to be a fantastic player

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't try and handball from a free kick whilst lying on the ground and the man on the mark standing over the top of you.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Just don't try and handball from a free kick whilst lying on the ground and the man on the mark standing over the top of you.
    He wasn't the only one either - really stupid thing to do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby McLean

Is there a reason this thread is stickyied?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He wasn't the only one either - really stupid thing to do.
    Bont did it too (from a mark) and the receiving player had no one to to go to and ended up just bombing it to a 3 on 0 for Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is there a reason this thread is stickyied?
    Think I did it in error. Have unstickied
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Incredible how accomplished he has become as a player. Has played 32 career games.
    Just becoming a complete player all around. He's like Shaun Higgins without the narcissism and arrogance.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also happy he seems to have removed the dropping to the knee's routine when being tackled to draw the free.. It was the only element of his game I did not like.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems he was able to make the most of it while he could. That he's adjusted is a positive (p.s. I didn't like it either).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.