Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  31
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toby McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    He has been excellent these last few weeks after really not showing much early in the year. I can see him getting better and better as the years roll by.
    McLean has added some spark since moving into the midfield. Has a touch of class and leg speed which makes him a pretty special player.

2. Thanks westbulldog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Players in career best for - go Toby

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Still a kid really. Has developed so quickly from a 15-18 possession half forward - to a mid-20s genuine midfielder.
    His progress has had me thinking about Lukas Webb as a comparison.

If Lukas can even go from a 12-15 possession winner - to a 20 possession getter - then we will be a lot better for it given his high skill level.

So many exciting 21 and unders at the club. The weekend's team alone had 8 21 and unders - all pretty 'key' to the win;

Bont
    Zaine
    McLean
    Webb
    Dale
    Young
    Williams
    Daniel

5. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Still a kid really. Has developed so quickly from a 15-18 possession half forward - to a mid-20s genuine midfielder.
    His progress has had me thinking about Lukas Webb as a comparison.

If Lukas can even go from a 12-15 possession winner - to a 20 possession getter - then we will be a lot better for it given his high skill level.

So many exciting 21 and unders at the club. The weekend's team alone had 8 21 and unders - all pretty 'key' to the win;

Bont
    Zaine
    McLean
    Webb
    Dale
    Young
    Williams
    Daniel
    Tom Boyd still 21, and if English, Collins, and some of the other new recruits can make it, then we have a bright few years coming up.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tom Boyd still 21, and if English, Collins, and some of the other new recruits can make it, then we have a bright few years coming up.
    Dunkley as well

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Toby now the most under rated player in the AFL? Certainly up there IMO.

He's become so important to our side, particularly as Caleb is attracting far more attention from opposition coaches who are now aware of how damaging it can be to let Caleb accumulate posessions under limited pressure.

Perhaps the only reason Toby is not getting the recognition he deserves is because he continues to carry the mantle of being a ducker. As far as dogs supporters go however, I suggest he's become a real fan favourite.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

10. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Is Toby now the most under rated player in the AFL? Certainly up there IMO.

He's become so important to our side, particularly as Caleb is attracting far more attention from opposition coaches who are now aware of how damaging it can be to let Caleb accumulate posessions under limited pressure.

Perhaps the only reason Toby is not getting the recognition he deserves is because he continues to carry the mantle of being a ducker. As far as dogs supporters go however, I suggest he's become a real fan favourite.
    I hope Toby continues to go a bit under the radar. Particularly if he maintains his output - roughly 22 possessions and nearly a goal per game over the season, including averaging over 26 possessions and kicking 4 goals in the last 5 weeks now that he has become a fully fledged member of the midfield. He has that yard of pace that gives him time to use the ball well, and has a good leap which makes him competitive in the air for his size.

12. Likes always right, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His clearing the ball out of danger at the death against the Lions was a move of beauty. When he received the ball he looked to be in a precarious position up that well-known creek. But somehow he glided free of the congestion and we ended up on the Highway to Heaven.
    I'd like to see that vision again so I can work out how he did it - a genuine magic trick.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    His clearing the ball out of danger at the death against the Lions was a move of beauty. When he received the ball he looked to be in a precarious position up that well-known creek. But somehow he glided free of the congestion and we ended up on the Highway to Heaven.
    I'd like to see that vision again so I can work out how he did it - a genuine magic trick.
    He's got those 'quick feet' Jordan Lewis described Libba has (I don't believe he's overly quick though) I thought he was very close to BOG last Saturday.

I've been a fan, but I must admit he's far exceeded my expectations. He's a damn fine player
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Another great performance from Toby last night. IMO, he has been the single biggest highlight of 2017.

With another pre-season behind him, I'm predicting a huge AA-squad-of-40 type season in 2018.

After a crap year, put some positive vibes out and give some love to Magic.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Another great performance from Toby last night. IMO, he has been the single biggest highlight of 2017.

With another pre-season behind him, I'm predicting a huge AA-squad-of-40 type season in 2018.

Like.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, agree with all the above. Toby has really found that consistency over the 2nd half of the year in particular. Oh man how I wish our whole team could tackle like he does, as I'm sure he's the only guy in our team that grabs opposition players by the arm first lol..great stuff Toby, and will look fwd to you taking on more responsibility next year and become a top 5 player of the team.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

He needs to massively improve his kicking, otherwise agree he has had a pretty good season. Less than 70% efficiency last night and mostly kicks when he is not under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He needs to massively improve his kicking, otherwise agree he has had a pretty good season. Less than 70% efficiency last night and mostly kicks when he is not under pressure.
    Yes he can improve but he is one player whose kicking is the least of our problems. One of our better kicks for goal and he hits targets most of the time. His hands are superb as his ability to find space and escape precarious situations. Almost my favourite bulldogs player TBH.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the way he goes about his business. Turned out far above my expectations. Really looking forward to another pre season under his belt. They will all improve as we know what is required. We won't make this mistake again. A lot more fitness required to compete with the big boys. The teams in the finals are a fair bit bigger than our boys. We fought well but teams came at us hard this year they hunted us so we need to be a little bigger all round.