Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 7, 2017 vs Richmond

Think the non selection of Campbell tells you Bevo a) rates tap ruckman very lowly and b) rates Tom Boyd's current output as a stay at home forward just as much as he rates tap ruckmen.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Think the non selection of Campbell tells you Bevo a) rates tap ruckman very lowly and b) rates Tom Boyd's current output as a stay at home forward just as much as he rates tap ruckmen.
    ...or perhaps he doesn't see the need to rush Campbell back against a team missing their top two ruckmen.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

4. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    ...or perhaps he doesn't see the need to rush Campbell back against a team missing their top two ruckmen.
    So who plays forward to keep Rance honest?

And if Richmond's rucks are so poor, wouldn't Bevo see Campbell as a weapon to gain a definitive advantage...if he rated him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

That's how I see it. This is one of the better weeks to take a chance on not playing a first string ruckman given our depleted stocks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's how I see it. This is one of the better weeks to take a chance on not playing a first string ruckman given our depleted stocks.
    If winning the ruck battle was important to Bevo, this is the exact week you play your best available tap ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

If winning the ruck battle was important to Bevo, this is the exact week you play your best available tap ruckman.
    I won't agree with the logic you've put forward but I'd ask that if winning the ruck battle is of so little importance to Bevo why would he be playing a 2nd string ruckman what we pay Boyd to fill the position or why our first pick at the draft was a long term ruck prospect.
    On top of that we have reached our for a few genuine ruckman since Bevo arrived.

Campbell missed 8 games last year and 6 of those weeks were either foot or ankle injuries and I think this suggests he needs to be managed for another week.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I won't agree with the logic you've put forward but I'd ask that if winning the ruck battle is of so little importance to Bevo why would he be playing a 2nd string ruckman what we pay Boyd to fill the position or why our first pick at the draft was a long term ruck prospect.
    On top of that we have reached our for a few genuine ruckman since Bevo arrived.

Campbell missed 8 games last year and 6 of those weeks were either foot or ankle injuries and I think this suggests he needs to be managed for another week.
    1. Why is Bevo choosing Boyd ahead of Campbell? Because from where I sit, Bevo rates Boyd more as a ruck/follower type than as a pure KPF. And rates his ruck/follower work more than Campbell's.
    2. I didn't say he doesn't rate ruckman, I said he doesn't rate tap ruckmen. English isn't a tap ruckman. He's a 207cm midfielder that can also tap.
    3. We've gone over the ruck target ground before. Kreuzer and Martin are not pure tap ruckmen, they are mobile follower types that contribute around the ground. The antithesis of the Campbell type. Lobbe is in the Campbell mold and the only one that suits your logic, but I'm yet to see definitive proof we were as keen as you suggest we were.
    4. Campbell is named as an emergency and is named in the VFL side. He could just as easily hurt himself in the seconds which suggests he's not being 'held back' like you think he might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay has been someway off the pace of the game this season which was particularly evident at key stages in last week's game.
    As a small forward he must start to show that he can at least keep up with the pace aside from simply bringing tackling pressure in tighter space. The selectors are a bit more patient with him than I am. Maybe Libba having a cloud over him, coming off concussion, may have helped the case to retain Clay over someone like Bailey Dale. With Tory and Stewie only a week or two away the pressure must be on Clay to lift this week if his body permits him to.

11. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure we should hold our breath around Crameri returning to senior footy too soon.
    Hopefully my mail is a little off the mark - but I've heard that its not just an aggravated hip that's holding him back, but also that his body/fitness is not holding up to the rigors of AFL footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm not so sure we should hold our breath around Crameri returning to senior footy too soon.
    Hopefully my mail is a little off the mark - but I've heard that its not just an aggravated hip that's holding him back, but also that his body/fitness is not holding up to the rigors of AFL footy.
    Feel for Stew, it can't be easy having a full year out of the game and the club. He's not the only banned player currently struggling. It's probably best to just plonk him in the VFL until after the bye and re-assess then. Treat it like a bonus if he gets back to his best or close to it this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel for Stew, it can't be easy having a full year out of the game and the club. He's not the only banned player currently struggling. It's probably best to just plonk him in the VFL until after the bye and re-assess then. Treat it like a bonus if he gets back to his best or close to it this year.
    I agree with it can't be easy for him and leaving him in the VFL without any pressure. Would be a very handy IN later in the year.

Post Thanks / Like

So who plays forward to keep Rance honest?
    Might be a job for Zaine.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is on record as suggesting Boyd at this stage is a second ruck and developing forward.

If he thought we really needed a true ruck to take on Richmond he'd have taken Campbell in. He still might, given Campbell is an emergency.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

With Rance, I think he hurts sides with immobile/poor talls more than he does a small forward line. He zones and rebounds off non quality talls. I feel our best way against their backline is with a smaller forward line, however we must be a lot smarter with our entry.

19. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A big part of Campbell being out is doubts over his ankle too IMO. He struggles to get through games and I see him as too much of a risk compared to his value.