Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

How confident are we that the coaching team would pull the trigger on M.Boyd or Suckling?

I tend to this they should be candidates but I doubt they would seriously be considered by those making the decisions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agree with much of the above BT bearing in mind Blicavs has been absolutely useless this year and is horribly out of form. No one has the third man up rule affected more than him.
    I still think he would be a great addition in our team. We could use him as a key defender who moves into the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I still think he would be a great addition in our team. We could use him as a key defender who moves into the ruck.
    I agree. I think his drop in form can be attributed to the aforementioned rule change as well as Geelong having a plethora of his type which means he does not get to play his primary role, which I think is as you've described.He seems to fill gaps at the moment and not very effectively and he has not adjusted to the multitude of roles he's been assigned this season.

He was essentially a midfielder last year but has hardly played there this season due to the rule change.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. At the risk of getting Billingsed Blicavs has been totally exposed since the one thing he could do well got legislated out of the game. He's also pretty much stopped racking up the gaudy possession numbers that were formerly his standard fare. If the Geelong ruck situation wasn't somehow worse than ours he'd be just about dropped.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

In: Wallis, Bob
    Out: Dale, Williams

Really do not want to drop two kids but we seem destined to be play heaps of games decided in the last quarter and I don't think they will help us win games short term.

Ironically, when the side gets stronger with the return of quality players, it will be easier to play the kids. I also think Etihad environment suits them more than Friday Night in Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In: Wallis, Bob
    Out: Dale, Williams

Really do not want to drop two kids but we seem destined to be play heaps of games decided in the last quarter and I don't think they will help us win games short term.

Ironically, when the side gets stronger with the return of quality players, it will be easier to play the kids. I also think Etihad environment suits them more than Friday Night in Geelong.
    I think this is the most likely scenario. As much as the likes of M.Boyd and Suckling should be dropped/rested we don't seem to make those types of decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be surprised to see three changes with Dicko in as well. Two VFL games and then a rest implies he'll come in as we don't want him playing off a six day break.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think this is the most likely scenario. As much as the likes of M.Boyd and Suckling should be dropped/rested we don't seem to make those types of decisions.
    For me, next week is about the short term. A win would really help set up our premiership race and we will be a bit undermanned. Williams and Dale just do not do enough to effect a game when it's there to be won. I think M.Boyd and Suckling are safer bets. That said, I have the pair next to go when other players are back.

I trust our VFL development system. When we are closer to full strength, I would like to see 1-2 spots in the side with more of a developmental/long term focus for players like Dale, Webb and Williams. Hopefully they can just warrant a spot soon enough as we do also need their types.

If Dickson is right and just being managed for Geelong, I would have Matthew Boyd coming out for him.

9. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I won't be surprised to see three changes with Dicko in as well. Two VFL games and then a rest implies he'll come in as we don't want him playing off a six day break.
    Yep. Bevo did mention him and the 6 day break in his press conference. I think he'll come in as well.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, next week is about the short term. A win would really help set up our premiership race and we will be a bit undermanned. Williams and Dale just do not do enough to effect a game when it's there to be won. I think M.Boyd and Suckling are safer bets. That said, I have the pair next to go when other players are back.

I trust our VFL development system. When we are closer to full strength, I would like to see 1-2 spots in the side with more of a developmental/long term focus for players like Dale, Webb and Williams. Hopefully they can just warrant a spot soon enough as we do also need their types.

If Dickson is right and just being managed for Geelong, I would have Matthew Boyd coming out for him.
    what is your view on Libba?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the story with Stanley's injure knee?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we consider tagging Danger and Selwood? Give Wallis and Picken their old jobs back for a week. Might help Picken regain some touch to give him a more defined task?
    And yes, I know Bevo doesn't like tagging, but tactically it seems to be the way to shut down Geelong.

Dickson, Wallis, Murphy must come in.

14. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    what is your view on Libba?
    My view on Libba is influential where it matters, despite being off by his standards. He is still elite in tacking and have been one of our best in contested possessions and clearances. That said, was very poor on Friday night. Still overall, I actually think he has contributed a fair bit this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Would we consider tagging Danger and Selwood? Give Wallis and Picken their old jobs back for a week. Might help Picken regain some touch to give him a more defined task?
    And yes, I know Bevo doesn't like tagging, but tactically it seems to be the way to shut down Geelong.

Dickson, Wallis, Murphy must come in.
    We went with close checking jobs on the pair last time we played. Libba and Macrae were doing a great job until they got injured.

I watched the VFL game against Richmond and Dickson struggled to run out a game at that level. Think he would need to burn it on the track.

Post Thanks / Like

My view on Libba is influential where it matters, despite being off by his standards. He is still elite in tacking and have been one of our best in contested possessions and clearances. That said, was very poor on Friday night. Still overall, I actually think he has contributed a fair bit this season.
    Libba might just rise to the occasion if given added responsibility in being used again as a tag on Dangerfield. In form Libba is still one of our real strengths. Providing he came through unscathed yesterday you would have to be tempted to play Roughead. Tom Boyd is a lot better as a second string to Roughy and was pretty ordinary against West Coast without taking one mark. Boyd/ Roughead can also go forward allowing Adams to play more permanently in defence.