Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Libba might just rise to the occasion if given added responsibility in being used again as a tag on Dangerfield. In form Libba is still one of our real strengths. Providing he came through unscathed yesterday you would have to be tempted to play Roughead. Tom Boyd is a lot better as a second string to Roughy and was pretty ordinary against West Coast without taking one mark. Boyd/ Roughead can also go forward allowing Adams to play more permanently in defence.
    Roughy blowing hard pretty early and he was in and out of the ruck. I think he might need another week.

Moz could be a chance. We know he is the type of player who can come back and contribute straight away. He would be massive.

Whilst I think Libba has still been good, I agree there's something a bit off with him (his default is so good though). I am not sure he has the legs to go with Danger or Selwood. Maybe in spurts? Macrae is my best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Outs

Dale, M. Boyd, Smith

Ins

Wallis, Murphy, Dickson

I've pretty much gone like for like with my selections.

Wallis for Dale in the mid forward role, Murphy for Boyd in the mature defender role and Dickson in for Smith in the small forward role.

I would love to bring in Roughy if his fitness is good but I'd imagine he'd need a couple more games in the two's first. Webb would be the unlucky one to miss in this case.

Libba hasn't been himself lately and I am hoping the terrible game against West Coast is enough to wake him from his slumber.
    Suckling is on notice as well. His strength is his foot skills and they haven't been anything special. Special is what he needs to bring because he isn't the best defender getting around.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yep. Bevo did mention him and the 6 day break in his press conference. I think he'll come in as well.
    Mail is Dickson is a certainty having been set for this game

4. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would love to have Dickson back in if he is right.

With all our injuries, we need as many players who can positively influence a game as possible for us. With Dickson, he can have a quiet one and still snag a couple of goals.

Looking at the peripherals of our 22 from Friday night from least influential onwards...

Dale- I think he is going to reach a tipping point where he only needs 15 touches to influence a game but at the moment I think he goes missing for too long during games. Massive upside and I would love us to be able to 'carry' him a bit when we have a stronger side in.

Williams- love his kicking but feel he is a safer bet to the outside friendly Etihad Stadium. Again can be very quiet for chunks of the game and doesn't seem to get near it when the heat is really on. Very positive on him long term.

M.Boyd- struggling clearly but can at least find it 20ish time and have a mature body so gives him a better base. Safer option whilst we are waiting for our best 22. Would be an out for me if Dickson, Bob and Wallis are all in.

Suckling- again can find it a bit and have a weapon in his kicking (which isn't great atm).

Clay- it's a bit all or nothing with Clay. He either kicks a few and is a constant presence or doesn't get near it. Is it his body? Do we need to mange him? (perhaps needs to miss every 6 day break, not travel etc).

Webb- continually adding to his physicality and has a weapon in his kicking. Just needs to find his role in the side.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In - Dickson, Wallis, Murphy, Morris

Out - Dale, Libba, Suckling, Roberts

Still early in the week, but that's what I'm thinking at the minute.

8. Likes aker39, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cloke and Morris will be tested this week, so may be available.

Roughead pulled up well and Murph was rested.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In - Dickson, Wallis, Murphy, Morris

Out - Dale, Libba, Suckling, Roberts

Still early in the week, but that's what I'm thinking at the minute.
    Sheesh! What did Roberts do wrong to be dropped? I know he was caught out 1 on 1 with Kennedy a few times but I thought he's earned a few credits this season to have an off day. Although if he's one out with Hawkins it could get ugly.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

What a list of potential ins!

In- Bob, Moz, Dickson, Wallis, Roughy
    Out- Dale, Williams, Z.Cordy, Suckling, I would say Matthew Boyd but would leave us short on HBFs! So not sure. The 5th in line would need to be really right (crazy what not HAVING to find guys to fill your 22 does

Post Thanks / Like

We've really struggled to keep key forwards under control since Morris got injured.
    And yes, before you jump on that, I know Morris doesn't always play on a tall forward - but he either does sometimes, or he shuts down another player which impacts the way the ball comes inside 50.
    Since Morris went down;

Syd:
    Reid 6.1
    Buddy 4.3

Freo:
    No bigs got a hold of us - but only because McCarthy dropped several chest marks and could have done better than 2 goals.

North:
    Ben Brown 4 goals.

Lions:
    Hipwood 3 goals

Giants:
    Cameron & Patton 7 between them.

Tigers:
    Riewoldt 4.1

Eagles:
    Kennedy 3.6
    Darling 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Sheesh! What did Roberts do wrong to be dropped? I know he was caught out 1 on 1 with Kennedy a few times but I thought he's earned a few credits this season to have an off day. Although if he's one out with Hawkins it could get ugly.
    I don't rate his ability to defend individually and prefer others... He is good at coming off his man, but is too often left in no mans land.

Post Thanks / Like

Just play Morris so I don't tear my hair out every time it goes inside defensive 50. I know we've kept teams to under 100 in every game but his presence is worth at least an extra goal saved.

I would include all of Morris, Roughy, Cloke, Murphy & Wallis.

I'd take out Roberts, Dale, M Boyd, Libba (spell) & Smith.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

6 changes this week

Out: Dale, Williams, Webb, M Boyd, Libba, Cordy
    In: Dickson, Murphy, Cloke, Morris, Wallis, Roughead

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Would we consider tagging Danger and Selwood? Give Wallis and Picken their old jobs back for a week. Might help Picken regain some touch to give him a more defined task?
    And yes, I know Bevo doesn't like tagging, but tactically it seems to be the way to shut down Geelong.
    I agree. Geelong's losses have come with those two well down. They just don't have anyone else stepping up
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    What a list of potential ins!

In- Bob, Moz, Dickson, Wallis, Roughy
    Out- Dale, Williams, Z.Cordy, Suckling, I would say Matthew Boyd but would leave us short on HBFs! So not sure. The 5th in line would need to be really right (crazy what not HAVING to find guys to fill your 22 does
    I talked to Moz tonight, I don't think he is confident of a return this week to the seniors. Tomorrow's training might tell the story

You would have to think Dickson is ready to return
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Thanks bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't rate his ability to defend individually and prefer others... He is good at coming off his man, but is too often left in no mans land.
    I thought he was terrible v West C. Bevo should have put him forward and Adams back in the last quarter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

After the hard trip to Perth and a few tough games in a row where we have looked a little bruised and tired, I think the time is right for a significant freshen up:

In: Wallis, Murphy, Roughy, Dickson
    Out: MBoyd, Smith, Suckling, Libba/Dahl (injured/in need of rest?)

INS
    Our biggest problem seems to be our forward set up. I'd put Roughy straight back in as a Roughy, TBoyd/Jack Ruck/key forward combo significantly alters the dynamic (should be for the better). With Cloke and Stringer 1-3 weeks away, we will have a lot of big decisions to make in the coming month or so.
    Dicko will also add to the forward mix as a smart natural forward who runs to the right spots and finishes. Sorely needed attributes at present.
    Bob and Wallis are obvious quality and must come in. A few of our mids/flankers are looking tired and, after a WA trip, 2 sets of fresh legs will be a plus.

OUTS
    At this point of the season (especially after the Perth game), I'd like to see the younger/freshe Williams, Webb and Dale kept in the team. They have worked hard for opportunity and have shown enough to be retained. For our long term its best their efforts are rewarded with further games.

On the other hand, a few of the more senior players are looking tired/out of form. MBoyd an Suckling are plain struggling and would benefit from a little break from AFL level action.

Smith is a little stiff as he remains dangerous, but one of the semi-permanent forwards needs to make way for Dicko and his form has been marginal, a freshen will most likely do him good also.

Libbas lack of output has been well covered (although he remains our best hard ball winner and tackler) whilst Dahlhaus has undertaken a prodigious workload this year and may be in need of rest - his 4 contested possession, 0 clearance, 0 tackle game last week was well below the standard he has set. Suspect both have injury issues and either o both will need a game off.

23. Likes GVGjr liked this post